Fins Mares or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You must have legs like arms

I have a pair of Plana Avanti quattro's that are at least 15 years old and still kicking (found them in a bargain bin after an LDS takeover for $25 since the new owner didn't want to carry the mares stuff). I love them. They look like they've been through a war, but they still work great and I still prefer them over the other fins I've used over the years. A few months ago I had to go to my scuba pro spits for a couple of weeks because I'd sprained both of my ankles and couldn't move the mares without pain. But that's passed, so now I'm back on the quattros.

I have a pair of black quattros purchased in 1998 that I still use today. I also have a pair of quattro excel fins in yellow, great fins for students and dive buddies to follow. Both fins have had spring straps added; one set is the innovative scuba concepts spring straps and the other pair has the spring straps from mares. I also ordered a pair of hollis f1 bat fins in yellow, but I am still waiting for them to arrive. The mares fins work great but are a little too tight with the rock boots and insulated booties on. The f1 fins are for the drysuit and the tried and true quattros and excels are for those wetsuit days. I use a combination of flutter and frog kicks for movement and that makes a big difference in demanding conditions or when running group after group of studets around the lake. Changing up the kicking style will rest one set of muscles and then switch back when rested. They are stiff fins don't try to overpower them instead work with them. There is nothing like a good set of bladed fins for both subtle movements and raw power when conditions are more demanding. If you just need to go all day find your mantainable speed and go at that pace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom