fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whitepointer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
do fins make that much of a difference? The reason i ask is because a few weeks back my friend said he watched me kick and says i am using way to much energy in doing so. I have old school fins from Mares that are about 14 years old. He thinks getting new fins would help me with my air (i am always the first on to get low on air).

Please let me know what you think.

They make about as much difference as the choice of sneakers do to a runner.... :wink:

Most fins are pretty much simular in terms of performance, but there are a few brands/models that offer something extra (normally at a cost).

for example:
Scubapro Jetfins & OMS Slipstreams offer control and exceptional raw power, but high effort.
Forcefins offer absolute minimum effort, but good power.

Of course... just like with runners & sneakers ... technique matters most...and the money you spend has to be justified by how much you will use them. :D

I generally only notice them, when they are off.

Or if I do a marathon when I should be walking.

Just know that if you use split-fins you are going to die!!! Just kidding. Which fin you use is as much a personal choice/prefference as which mask you wear. They ALL do the same thing, they ALL frog kick, they ALL do a "reverse" kick, they ALL flutter kick. The question is which one does your preffered kick method the best for YOU.

I recommend you go to your LDS (if they have a pool on-site) and test them out there if not, a lot of places will also let you take a demo pair on a dive or two. Then go from there...

Getting a fin that works better for you may help you on your air consumption, but there are many factors that are more likely going to help your SAC rate: Bouyancy, trim, and breathing technique will probably have the biggest impact on your air consumption.

Another thing to consider is your size, lungs are proportional to body size. If you are a bigger person, you will have more lung capacity than a smaller person and use more air...

Consider using a bigger tank maybe...

lets think about it for a second.
Regulator- they all provide air, most at amazingly low work loads
BCD- its a bag of air, come on, really...
Mask- does it fit? done

Fins- well if you want to get anywhere, they are the only way to get there, even with a scooter you still need fins. Crappy fins will always ruin an otherwise good dive. But, even the best fins won't fix poor technique. Most likely you need to slow down and relax, most Mares fins are actually pretty good fins. Slow down first, get your trim balanced perfectly (which is probably why your fins are moving too much anyway), then worry about what fins work best.

They make a WORLD of a difference. I have used a few plastic fins including pivoting blade Sherwood Kinesis. Absolute load of crap IMO. Then I got solid rubber fins (Scubapro Jets). Propulsion is powerful and control is superb.Diving is a whole different experience now.

Yes.

But what are you looking for in a fin?
Straight line long distance efficiency has to be balanced with speed, control and practicality. And fins need to match your favorite kicking style, leg strength and how much stress your articulations can take.

Short stiff blades.
Softer blades.
Split fins.
Freediving fins.
Force fins.
Monofin (right....)

There are a lots of choices.

Like DevonDiver said, it depends. New fins may lessen/eliminate the problem...but the issue may be how you're kicking, not what you're kicking. I could buy $150 running shoes and I'd still get smoked by Tyson Gay wearing work boots. Maybe you can try out your buddies fins and/or rent some fins to see if you notice an improvement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom