First BP/W purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idratherbedivin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have decided to purchase my first set of gear pretty soon and have decided on a BP/W with a hog harness. I have a pretty limited budget being 16 but I also want something solid and have narrowed it down to two companies. My decision is between a Deep Sea Supply singles rig or a Northeast Scuba Supply singles rig. The prices are pretty similar (DSS is a little bit more but not by much) so it really just comes down to the qualities of each and other's previous experience. If they are both really similar then I will go with Northeast Scuba Supply because it is a lot closer and is a little less expensive. Lets here some thoughts on both of these rigs.

Oh sorry i didn't mention that. I would go with the famous special they are offering and would include aluminum backplate, hog harness, and an o style 30# wing. And the cam bands and bolts are bought seperately. The entire price of the DSS rig is 445 without shipping and the total for the NESS is about 415 without shipping, but it is possible I could drive and pick it up if I decided to take a 6 hour round trip drive. Also, if you know of any better deals that are of the same quality as these rigs I'm always open for suggestions.

Do you know what brand they are selling as a famous name special?

1) I wouldn't use an aluminum backplate in cold northeastern waters.

2) A 30# wing is on the lower end of "sufficient." What kind of exposure protection and tank do you use?

No, it doesn't say. It tells you that the deal is so good the company won't let them say who makes it. :D
That seems kind of suspicious to me but they seem to have quite a few people who like the product.
It doesn't seem like you need a STA for either of them, which I like. I have not heard anything about how stable the northeast rig is though without a STA.

I believe that it's Dive Rite, and they don't include cam straps, and you do need an STA. I'm not 100% on that though.

I have not had too many dives. I am drysuit certified so I can use all kinds of exposure suits but have only used a dry suit when doing the certifications dives about 2 months ago. My dilema is that I hopefully will be going to college in miami at the end of next summer so I will only have one more year in the cold waters. I just got back from diving in florida and I was wearing a full 3mm, a BCD, and needed only about 5 pounds of weight. I am about 5'10'' and 150 pounds and have very little fat. So, I'm afraid that with the ss backplate I won't have any ditchable weight at all or even be overweighted with no weight. At least with the aluminum I will have the opportunity to put weight plates on it if it is really too light. If I am using a al backplate and an al tank then the 30# lift should definitely be sufficient I assume.

If it is the Dive Rite, yes you need a sta... At least I did with a Rec wing.

Second the aluminum BP comment.. If you are diving heavy wetsuit / drysuit you will want Stainless Steel.

Another option is the Freedom Plate from Pacific Coast Marine. This is a plate designed for a single tank and doesn't need a STA. You can get a Freedom Plate, Signature Standard, Oxycheq SS #30 wing, cam buckles, and harness for $449. The nice thing about this plate is it very comfortable and molds to the contours of your back.

www.pacificcoastmarine.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom