First Camcorder ...Input please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoyfulNoise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We are going to do it! I've been taking video with our Canon cameras (point and shoot)... and finally decided maybe it was time for a real video camera.

I'd like some help and input if ya'll have a chance:

1. I don't want anything too big or heavy. I am a whimp! Brand isn't a big deal and I'm willing to invest for a great camcorder.
2. Hubby wants HD, but not sure there are underwater casings for the HDs yet, anyone know?
3. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Actually it's probably easier to find a housing for an HD(V) camera than non-HD now.

Since you don't want anything big or heavy, look at housing a 1-chip HDV camera, either Sony or Canon. Most housings will be pretty heavy above water but neutral or slighly negative underwater. If you travel, most of them can fit into a carry-on with room to spare.

Any of the currently available HD cameras at sonystyle.com can be housed by someone. Most by multiple manufacturers. There are other options, I just like Sony for ease of use and compatibility with my Sony VAIO computers.

Names I'd look at are Gates, Light and Motion, Amphibico, Ikelite, Equinox. If you want the smallest/lightest housing, look at the SeaTools line. Poly housings from Ikelite and Ocean Images can be slightly lighter. Although not always as sometimes weight has to be added to compensate for the bouyancy of the air inside the housing.

Ocean Images is located in Cape Coral, don't know how close you are to them. Another good source for video gear is Reef Photo in Ft. Lauderdale.

I'll point you to a couple of very recent threads about this so I don't have to re-type them here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/254583-questions-non-videographer.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-videography/254704-newbie-finally-chasing-dream.html

List of housing manufacturers: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...using-manufacturers-list-updated-08-08-a.html

Post some idea of your budget - housings cost 1-2 times more than the camera - and where you plan to shoot for more specific options.

Last edited:
welcome to the addiction! :D There is alot out there to choose from so do your research! You can get a good HD camcorder now for under $1000 but the housing is going to be the issue. Ikelite housings are least expensive and weigh around 10 lbs. (that is what I have and love it, so if you have specific questions). Equinox are about the same price, $700-1200, but weigh more (a friend has one and it weighs 20 lbs, too big and heavy for me). Those are both mechanical housings. Electronic housings are more expensive. Lots of brands mentioned above. The smallest and lightest weight housing is the SeaTool and you can get that from Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros. They are really tiny but price is more like $2000+.

What is your budget? Equinox housings are spectacular in the 1K range. The sony and Canons are great for HD. I use both for testing our housings. My favorite is my old standby sony with a 60 gig hard drive. 16 hours of non high def video. I am also a big fan of the ikelite housings. Excellent units for the price. Again, in the 1K+ range for the housing. If you just want to experiment and keep it cheap, then the my housing is a great option. Our housings are under $225, that with an ebay video camera and you could be into it for under $450. Let's start with a budget, the experts on this board can get you the most for your money.

I'm lucky that my budget is what's best for the money! I just want something that a beginner who can't lug around a ton of weight can handle. Granted I can't afford thousands and thousands of dollars worth of equipment, but I can affort to invest in something for a beginner. The input already given to me has helped up come up with 3 camcorders to choose from...all Canons.

I really like the new canon line of camcorders. I am amazed at the video quality vs record time. They have really got the video compression working correctly. Let us know what you decide to get! And if you want a free housing, check out the "where's Shelli?" contest. The clues should give away the location already. Or so I thought. Over 200 guesses so far, nobody has got it yet!

I'm lucky that my budget is what's best for the money! I just want something that a beginner who can't lug around a ton of weight can handle. Granted I can't afford thousands and thousands of dollars worth of equipment, but I can affort to invest in something for a beginner. The input already given to me has helped up come up with 3 camcorders to choose from...all Canons.

For Sony camcorders - you might want to look at the Ikelite housings for HD camcorders. (Check them all out on IKELITE Underwater Systems and then you can buy from B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders ) They are a bit smaller (though still weigh about 10lbs, just like mine) and have the mirror and reverse circuitry. I have it setup on my non-HD camcorder (a gift from Ike) and I love it. And the great thing about having a mechanical housing instead of electronic is that if you do have a flood, you only ruin the camcorder, the housing is just fine (with the exception of that little reverse circuitry device which can be replaced. I like the clear housing also as if there ever is any water inside of it, you will see it immediately. I have had mine for 2+ years now and never ever a problem with it.

I don't have any lights, just use the red filter that comes with the housing. Lights can be added later for macro shots but they aren't effective for anything more than 4-5' away so you will need to use the red filter for that.

If you do get the current HD by Sony, like the HC-9 (?) and the Ikelite housing, price will run you around $2500 total. Then you need to make sure your computer has the capability to edit the videos as the files are HUGE. Get some good software like Pinnacle Studio or Adobe Premier (around $100-200).

anyhow, for a beginner to underwater video, on a budget and not interested in a big bulky system, that is my recommendation.

robin:D

I forgot about the demands of HD on a computer. Definetly use software that takes advantage of multicore processing. Most newer software will do just fine. Adobe Premeire is what I am currently using at Shellicam. It is definetly a low budget software, about $100 but it has been extremely solid even when editing dozens of hours of video with multiple soundtrackes, multiple effects, titles, special effects, etc. Don't try editing HD video on an older computer. A decent computer is now under $700.00, definetly go for the quad core. I knocked this video together from last weeks paintball event in about 2 hours. I had to edit about 3 hours of video to make this short 4 minute clip. paintball2 This was the final test of a new design we have been working on for several months.

If you are ever in South Florida and would like to get your hands on housings from Light & Motion, Seatool, Ikelite, Aphibico you are welcome to stop by our store. Holding these things in your hands is far more beneficial than looking at pictures on the web...

Our Location : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

With all your help we have it down to three cannon camcorders. I think we are going to go with the lightest weight HD one. I can't thank you enough for all your help! We were doing our homework, but really overwhelmed with all the different camcorders. We used your input to focus on Sony and Cannon. Then we got it down to the Cannon ones. And we will be getting an Ikelite housing. I will let you know what we end up with and you know I'll be posting alot in the section once I get my camera. I think my husband is just trying to figure out who to buy the Cannon from right now. I'm very excited! This is a big challenge for me, but I'm learning more and more about editing the video I have!

My husband and I thank all of you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom