First Camcorder ...Input please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, but your camera has a CCD sensor not CMOS.

But CMOS sensors (equipped with “rolling shutters&#8221:wink: can exhibit skew, wobble, and partial exposure; CCD sensors are immune to those effects

I have........ so is my topside video unacceptable?
robin:D

Yes, way too many topless men and bungie wings. And not NEARLY enough of the cute girls! :rofl3:

Looks good to me.

If I find that boat video I was thinking of, I'll post it.

Real curious to see the clip. I haven't noticed any cmos rolling shutter issues, but then again, not sure what the problem looks like. BTW, I have filmed topside footage from a boat.

No, but your camera has a CCD sensor not CMOS.

you're right! I had no idea, I had to get the manual out and look. :rofl3:

So CCD vs. CMOS........ which is really best for underwater video? I asked this question awhile back and never got a difinitive answer (on another board). :confused: The answer I got was that each have their pros and cons. Yes? No? I do intend to upgrade my system to HD (probably not til 2009) and I want to make sure I get the best bang for my very limited bucks. :D

robin:D
heading to Cocoview in Nov!

CMOS requires less power, sometimes has better light sensitivity, and is cheaper to manufacture, and is generally impervious to smear (great if you shoot into or around strong sun). CCD has no rolling shutter problems, won't wig out around flash photography, and is a more "mature" technology in cameras.

Pros/Cons for each. There's more and maybe others will chime in.

Canon HF11 with Ikelike 6090 is what we think we will be purchasing. Sound good?

And I'm really enjoying all the comments! We appreciate those of you with more experience helping us out.

It's a good choice, lightweight, the new HF11 takes advantage of the full 24MBPS AVCHD specification so it should be as good as you can get.

If there was a downside you're limited to just under 175mins. recording time at the highest resolution and 4 hrs. at the next highest with the 32GB internal flash memory.

Compare it the the Canon HG-20 which has the same compression ratio but gives you 330mins. at the highest resolution with the 60GB hard drive. It's a little cheaper also - $950 or so.

It's been my experience that by using a larger battery, the less often I have to open my housing the better, cuts down on the possibility of flooding my expensive toy.:D

I don't know about Canon batteries, but my Sony - with a tape drive sucking power - gets 220 mins. on their mid-range extended length battery - I don't have room in my housing for the biggest one. So you might want to consider a camera/battery/housing combo that you can open less often. It appears that Ikelite supports the Canon BP819 battery so you have similar options.

You might also consider the HG21 just released this month. It's a $100 more than the HF11 but has a 120GB internal hard drive in addition to SDHC flash memory capability. 11 hours of recording time at MXP, the best quality setting vs. 3:15 for the HF11. B&H has it for $1299: Canon HG21 | B&H Photo Video

One potential downside is that it is slightly bigger than the HF11. So may not fit in the Ikelite 6090 housing. Their housing for the previous HG10 uses the external mirror. So check with them, we have an Ikelite rep on the board here who's really good about answering questions posted in their forum. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ikelite/

One advantage either camera will have over tape models is that someone just posted that one day they sat on deck deleting unwanted footage with the camera still in the housing to free up space for the next dive. I wish I could do that.

Oh, and I see Ikelite used a wider box so you can open the HF11's LCD inside. Which of course you need to do since the HF11 doesn't have a viewfinder. Much better than the mirror imo.

It's a good choice, lightweight, the new HF11 takes advantage of the full 24MBPS AVCHD specification so it should be as good as you can get.

If there was a downside you're limited to just under 175mins. recording time at the highest resolution and 4 hrs. at the next highest with the 32GB internal flash memory.

Compare it the the Canon HG-20 which has the same compression ratio but gives you 330mins. at the highest resolution with the 60GB hard drive. It's a little cheaper also - $950 or so.

It's been my experience that by using a larger battery, the less often I have to open my housing the better, cuts down on the possibility of flooding my expensive toy.:D

I don't know about Canon batteries, but my Sony - with a tape drive sucking power - gets 220 mins. on their mid-range extended length battery - I don't have room in my housing for the biggest one. So you might want to consider a camera/battery/housing combo that you can open less often. It appears that Ikelite supports the Canon BP819 battery so you have similar options.

You might also consider the HG21 just released this month. It's a $100 more than the HF11 but has a 120GB internal hard drive in addition to SDHC flash memory capability. 11 hours of recording time at MXP, the best quality setting vs. 3:15 for the HF11. B&H has it for $1299: Canon HG21 | B&H Photo Video

One potential downside is that it is slightly bigger than the HF11. So may not fit in the Ikelite 6090 housing. Their housing for the previous HG10 uses the external mirror. So check with them, we have an Ikelite rep on the board here who's really good about answering questions posted in their forum. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ikelite/

One advantage either camera will have over tape models is that someone just posted that one day they sat on deck deleting unwanted footage with the camera still in the housing to free up space for the next dive. I wish I could do that.

Oh, and I see Ikelite used a wider box so you can open the HF11's LCD inside. Which of course you need to do since the HF11 doesn't have a viewfinder. Much better than the mirror imo.

If you are getting a Canon camcorder and Ikelite housing, that looks like a good choice as there is no need for the mirror. :D
I also like that you can change the battery without taking the whole thing out.... just open back of housing and switch battery! I would HIGHLY recommend you buy at least one additional battery and a quick-charger unit. :D
I have a camcorder that uses tapes so I will be anxious to hear how you like using a hard-drive system. I would really like to know how long it takes to download to a laptop or computer after a few days of diving. That is one of the biggest reasons I am sticking with a tape-style camcorder. I can just put in a new tape and save up all the tapes to download when I get home from a trip. Since we do liveaboards or other destinations with 3-4 dives per day, I just don't have time to download each night if it is going to take several hours. :no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom