First dive at 40 meters - Newbies recreational

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. We exceeded the maximum depth by 1.25% come on! I am not even sure that it is higher than the absolute error margin of the watch. Way lower than an analogic depth gauge. That’s 0,05 bar. I have a PhD in Physic and Fluid Dynamics, remember :) ."The calculation based on 12 was the one I made during the dive to calculate remaining"

Sure you could argue that in court if you had an incident and the insurance company refused to pay out as you exceeded max depth on your dive computer. Now you want to argue that dive computers are inaccurate? So they should all be checked for calibration? Maybe ignore that NDL time it's not higher than the absolute error of margin? lol

Very smart people who are well educated still make mistakes. Now you claim you calculated based on 12l/m but on page 1 you wrote 11l/min. Surely that would make a difference in physics as well? So you changed your calculated estimate in your favour ( from 15l/m to 12l/min rounded ) so was this the narcosis you said you did not feel? A deviation for calculation is not a small matter at 40m depth when you have to x 5 as well. What if your computer died at 40m did you have that analogic depth gauge with you? You finished the dive safely yes. Along the way you had some minor issues which you resolved.

You have a PhD however that does not mean anything at 40m depth when you can still miscalculate when narced. Experienced divers diving safely would not have been in the position to have to do math at 40m on the fly 1 min from deco while trying to be Macho for their wives. In that respect I say your DM failed you. No one here is claiming you are a bad diver. You are asking for advise and getting opinions from experienced divers and instructors. When asked about your dive computer you answer is this "I haven’t finished RTFM yet" Is that why you cannot explain why your DC gave you a second stop at 12m for 2 minutes? A lot of people who are smart cannot explain it either.

BP Horizon was staffed with well educated professionals and experienced engineers. A few missed calculations and boom 11 dead people and a major oil disaster. I hope you like this meme I post it is not directed at you.

PS great you are now enjoying more post cert dives with your wife. My wife has no interest in diving apart from finding dive sites for me to go diving at. You are lucky to be able to dive with your wife.

basicmathxc0.jpg

Sure you could argue that in court if you had an incident and the insurance company refused to pay out as you exceeded max depth on your dive computer. Now you want to argue that dive computers are inaccurate? So they should all be checked for calibration? Maybe ignore that NDL time it's not higher than the absolute error of margin? lol

Very smart people who are well educated still make mistakes. Now you claim you calculated based on 12l/m but on page 1 you wrote 11l/min. Surely that would make a difference in physics as well? So you changed your calculated estimate in your favour ( from 15l/m to 12l/min rounded ) so was this the narcosis you said you did not feel? A deviation for calculation is not a small matter at 40m depth when you have to x 5 as well. What if your computer died at 40m did you have that analogic depth gauge with you? You finished the dive safely yes. Along the way you had some minor issues which you resolved.

You have a PhD however that does not mean anything at 40m depth when you can still miscalculate when narced. Experienced divers diving safely would not have been in the position to have to do math at 40m on the fly 1 min from deco while trying to be Macho for their wives. In that respect I say your DM failed you. No one here is claiming you are a bad diver. You are asking for advise and getting opinions from experienced divers and instructors. When asked about your dive computer you answer is this "I haven’t finished RTFM yet" Is that why you cannot explain why your DC gave you a second stop at 12m for 2 minutes? A lot of people who are smart cannot explain it either.

BP Horizon was staffed with well educated professionals and experienced engineers. A few missed calculations and boom 11 dead people and a major oil disaster. I hope you like this meme I post it is not directed at you.

PS great you are now enjoying more post cert dives with your wife. My wife has no interest in diving apart from finding dive sites for me to go diving at. You are lucky to be able to dive with your wife.

View attachment 632705
In my first telling, this is exactly what I wrote « 5x11l/min round to 12, it is 60 l/min. with 150 bar that is 1800 liters, we have 30 min so no need to panic ». You did not see the round to 12. I did not change anything to look better.
To my already long debit, I initially had an Aqualung 300 and I recently changed to the 750. Don’t tell me that I should not have dived with it before I went over the quick setup part. I know. And yes, I always have an analog depth gauge with my SPG.

Oh my goodness.. what on earth would he do if his computer failed??? Ohhh. look at his wife's.. do a couple minutes of extra safety stop & check the DM computer for a reality check.. Seriously, this is not a trip to the moon and back!

Even if he came up too slow, fell into 2 min, of actual deco and looked at it at 12 meters and misinterpreted being in deco versus a required deco stop at 12 meters.

In my first telling, this is exactly what I wrote « 5x11l/min round to 12, it is 60 l/min. with 150 bar that is 1800 liters, we have 30 min so no need to panic ». You did not see the round to 12. I did not change anything to look better.
To my already long debit, I initially had an Aqualung 300 and I recently changed to the 750. Don’t tell me that I should not have dived with it before I went over the quick setup part. I know. And yes, I always have an analog depth gauge with my SPG.
Funny, you talk about BP horizon. The accident was due to greed not miscalculation. The people with knowledge knew it was a mistake. That’s the constant fight we have on oil rigs with company men representing the oil firm who know **** and the knowledgeable people working for the service companies (Schlumberger, Halliburton, BJ,...). Spent 5 years in the industry early in my career. Left it with no regret.

Funny, you talk about BP horizon. The accident was due to greed not miscalculation.

Greed is a miscalculation. I saw it at Brunei Shell in 1986. :)

...I initially had an Aqualung 300 and I recently changed to the 750...

Is your wife diving an Aqua Lung computer also? Did your wife's computer give you same 3 stiops? Any idea what computer the DM was diving?

Greed is a miscalculation. I saw it at Brunei Shell in 1986. :)
I was working with BSP (as a Schlum engineer) in 1998- 1999. Seri. A s...hole as would say you know who. Pumping fluids in wells. Mud to contain pressure (among other things) and cementing. I can tell you after a BOP test, if I decided that there was a leak and that the company man was telling me no, let’s resume the operations, it would have ended up in a fight. Greed is not miscalculation. You know, if I am horizontal at 40 and I lower my hand, my damned computer will say 41 .

Sure you could argue that in court if you had an incident and the insurance company refused to pay out as you exceeded max depth on your dive computer.
That would be an unusual life insurance policy. Have you ever heard of it happening?

Now you claim you calculated based on 12l/m but on page 1 you wrote 11l/min. Surely that would make a difference in physics as well?
This was an NDL dive. Probably 99% of NDL divers do not preplan their gas usage to that extent. Explain the difference that would make in the dive.

What if your computer died at 40m did you have that analogic depth gauge with you?
What is the value of an analog depth gauge in the event of a computer failure? In the case of a computer failure, you end the dive. If you choose to do a safety stop, you only need a relatively vague idea of your safety stop depth.

Experienced divers diving safely would not have been in the position to have to do math at 40m on the fly 1 min from deco while trying to be Macho for their wives.
I could not figure out what math would be necessary in this case. I must have misunderstood the situation.

I was working with BSP (as a Schlum engineer) in 1998- 1999. Seri. A s...hole as would say you know who. Pumping fluids in wells. Mud to contain pressure (among other things) and cementing. I can tell you after a BOP test, if I decided that there was a leak and that the company man was telling me no, let’s resume the operations, it would have ended up in a fight. Greed is not miscalculation. You know, if I am horizontal at 40 and I lower my hand, my damned computer will say 41 .

True dat. Seri, well mud roads back then when I was there. Too bad you weren't diving back then We used to dive a wreck sunk by the Japanese off the coast from BSB to Labuan. Had lots of munitions on it. After I left Brunei the British Royal Navy came and blew it to smithereens. I had a good 2 years in Brunei though. Could get to KK for some excellent diving and go to Sipidan before you needed to buy tickets and wait in line.

My BSAC instructor was with the commercial diving unit with Shell.

Sure you could argue that in court if you had an incident and the insurance company refused to pay out as you exceeded max depth on your dive computer.
That would be an unusual life insurance policy. Have you ever heard of it happening?
The first time I brought my diving gear on a vacation abroad, I knew my travel medical insurance covered me for dives down to, but not exceeding 40m. Knowing that stuff happens and downcurrents is a thing, I called them for a couple of clarifications. Turned out I was covered as long as the plan was to stay above 40m. A downcurrent taking me below 40m would be considered a part of the incident, so I'd be covered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom