First equipment purchase & BP/Wings ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but can you even get vertical (underwater) easily with wings? Sometimes this is just cool.

If you are neutrally buoyant and don't have the bloody things pumped full of air you can get vertical just as easily as you can with a jacket-style BC. I was doing this a couple weeks ago looking underneath sunken cars in the quarry with my light - vertical, head a few inches off the bottom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but can you even get vertical (underwater) easily with wings? Sometimes this is just cool.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vertical head up or head down...
But a proper wing does make a big difference...
I like my 27# Halcyon wing because it is a donut shape and air can pass across the bottom from one side to the other as well as the top.

Ok I'm seriously going to look into the Halcyon wings as a first setup. Thanks.

I'm looking at Texas(Travis) to Tropical dives. AL or Steel tanks
(depending on what's available) Maybe a drysuit in the future.

Does this sound right?

36 Lb Pioneer wings (27 lb?)
Stainless stell backplate (AL?)
backplate pad?
harness
trim weights (Halcyon has some that mount on the tank)
Pockets?
Weight belt or ACB?

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
weightbelt...
no ACBs...
Sorry, I just don't get this.

Why would you want to have all your weight on one belt?

Haven't you ever had a problem with weightbelts shifting around during the dive? Or sliding down over your hips? Or even coming loose?

Not to mention that weightbelts are more uncomfortable, and often must be adjusted at depth....

Originally posted by metridium
Sorry, I just don't get this.
1) Diving warm water weight requirements will be minimal...
2) Weight on the rig means the wing needs to be bigger... smaller wing = less drag...
3) SS backplate (6#) removes weight from belt but you still need some ditchable IMO...
4) We use mesh weight belts made by Heath that have slip in weight pouches and are very comfortable plus Heaths' belt doesn't slide down as the mesh grips the suit... however a Soft-Sides weight belt for use with a 3 mil suit and a SS backplate would be small and comfortable too...
5) I dive cold water dry and my rig is balanced so that the wing can support it and my weight belt can keep me down. I have had to add 4# to the belt to make up for the CF200 but still use a #27 wing with a Steel 104. Something new comes this way however and I will post it in a different thread... I was going to wait until Shane got up here with the camera so I could include a picture but I'll just add that later.
6) I don't like the ACBs as they take up too much room on the waist strap, add drag, put the canister light out further, make the rig harder to don, add extra expense, have plastic buckles holding the weight in.... need I go on???

4) We use mesh weight belts made by Heath that have slip in weight pouches and are very comfortable plus Heaths' belt doesn't slide down as the mesh grips the suit... however a Soft-Sides weight belt for use with a 3 mil suit and a SS backplate would be small and comfortable too...

I also have one of Heath's weight belts...more comfortable than a strap weight belt and holds like the dickens...I couldn't move that thing around if I wanted to...

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

1) Diving warm water weight requirements will be minimal...
2) Weight on the rig means the wing needs to be bigger... smaller wing = less drag...
3) SS backplate (6#) removes weight from belt but you still need some ditchable IMO...
5) I dive cold water dry and my rig is balanced so that the wing can support it and my weight belt can keep me down. I have had to add 4# to the belt to make up for the CF200 but still use a #27 wing with a Steel 104. Something new comes this way however and I will post it in a different thread... I was going to wait until Shane got up here with the camera so I could include a picture but I'll just add that later.
6) I don't like the ACBs as they take up too much room on the waist strap, add drag, put the canister light out further, make the rig harder to don, add extra expense, have plastic buckles holding the weight in.... need I go on???
1) Depends on what you mean by 'minimal'. I use 10lbs with an AL80, and that's including the SS plate.
2) Valid point usually, but not when the choice is between Halcyon 27# and 36# wings.
3) Yup, but that goes in my ACB pockets.
4) Hadn't heard of that type belt before. Have had bad luck with neoprene belts and nylon belts shifting and sliding.
5) I'm not certain why that would be seen as either superior or inferior to pockets.
6) Good point about the canister light and extra expense. OTOH, I've never seen a weight belt without a plastic buckle, either. If it goes, you lose all your ditchable weight, vs. one-half of it. Theoretically, that could be the difference between a controllable ascent (or even recovery) and an uncontrollable one.

As for drag, the ACB profile is blocked by the arms and shoulders when in a horizontal attitude. As for donning difference, I disagree 100%. Donning a heavy weight belt is a royal PITA, one which I loathe.

I've recovered two weightbelts at depth before (one slipped off as I watched), but haven't heard or seen any accidental pocket releases. Yes, it's anecdotal. YMMV.

I saw the thread somewhere about the heath weight belts. They
sound good and I do like the idea of having ditchable weight.

I couldn't find anything on why the 27 or the 36 is better. I'd like enough lift so I can dive with steel tanks in cold water with a dry suit or tropical waters with almost nothing.

Weight belt from Heath - $15
Weight pouches - $20 (free if you have lead lying around)
ACB(or +) - $120-170
Saving my money for an HID light - priceless :D

ok maybe not, but it was sounding like a MasterCard commercial...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom