First King of England to be a Certified Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also first King of England to fly a helicopter, use a cellphone, use a computer, eat sushi, visit my elementary school, etc.

I just worked lifeguard/surface rescue for Event Medics for a Tough Mudder. Of the 3,500 participants, there were a noticeable amount of AARP and Medicare types. I felt too old to be standing at an obstacle with a rescue tube, but the entire water rescue crew was made up of divemasters and instructors with gray hair.

As experienced instructors become older, there is no reason they shouldn't be teaching at the level at which they can perform. What we should do (and what I am working on with standards) is set high fitness standards for divers who will be tasked with rescue. For example, you might not be able to respond as rapidly to a rescue 10 years from now, but if you still had the ability to teach, having an assistant to help out shoot video, or whatever you need, and who could also swim 400 meters in 6:30 with fins equal to a USCG rescue swimmer requalification would make others feel safer.
I am familiar with Event Medics.

I never knew what the requal' was for the USCG RS. Is that with a mask and snorkel also, or can you wear swim goggles and fins ? If swim goggles and fins, I am surprised that it is not harder than that, that does not sound bad, without the fins that's difficult.

You should be the President of the USLA. :cheers: :cool:

In 2015, Claire Tuggle swam the 400 Meter Freestyle in 4:47.41. She had yet to turn 11 years of age.

In 2015, David Radcliff swam the 400 Meter Freestyle in 5:45.21. He was over 80 years old at the time.

In 2016, Grahm Johnston swam the 400 Meter Freestyle in 6:38.87, so was just shy of meeting the maximum time allowed for requalification by the USCG for rescue swimmers. He was over 85 years old at the time.

Granted, all of these swims were made in pools, but without fins. It is not unreasonable to expect that anyone who has qualified as a USCG RS should be able to complete their requalification well within the specified 6:30 limit, especially if the swim is made with fins and in a pool or other confined water setting. Should the test be conducted in the open sea, then that could be a realistic challenge. One would hope that the USCG professionals are in excellent physical condition, have superb watermanship skills, and be of an age that is often referred to as “the prime of life.” Alas, as they are US citizens, none of them will ever become King of England.

He is King of the United Kingdom.

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain, is a sovereign country in Europe...
The title of Queen Victoria was Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and IRELAND.

The front cover of present UK passport read: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Ireland is an independent country since 1922.

UK passport cover still bear Ireland in 1924!

where and how would they stow their weapons.🔫
Can't say this is suitable reading for an open forum.

But the weapon for HRH close protection underwater is the Heckler and Koch P11
While the weapon of choice for VIP ship protection against divers is electrocution.

One you carry in a little holster with a lanyard attached.
The other you dangle on wires over the side attached to a switch.

Not recommended in harbours while friendly divers are cleaning hulls on other berths.
or while the VIP is in the water. But the cause of death is a heart attack on one method while the other is more difficult to explain due to a small hole and a steel spike in the cavity.

Fidel Castro was an avid diver. Always thought that was pretty cool.

While the weapon of choice for VIP ship protection against divers is electrocution.
Glad they did not test that years ago, we did hull searches of the Royal Yacht when it was alongside in Australia in the 1980s.
One of a team of Ships divers looking for 'fast expanding things that go boom', on or under the Yacht.
I do remember the vis was in inches, 10 eyes search we called it [fingers only] touchie feelie.

And the CIA tried to kill him with a poisoned wetsuit. Always thought that was pretty uncool.
And exploding conch shells!

As far as age is concerned, a regular diving buddy of mine, for the last 10 years, is well over 80 and gosh, although not a reigning king is definitively a prince under water : I wish I was as proficient and competent as he is, and I'm no mean diver, even if I say so myself.

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom