first reg purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SAH

Reaction score
I 've read the posts about purchasing regs. My question is, what is a good reg set up for a new diver? Rodale's seems to like Scubapro and Atomic. I'm guessing that I'll probably dive at most 90 ft. infrequently. Mostly 30 to 60 ft dives. So what would be a really realiable 1st & 2nd stage? My choices are Scubapro, Atomic, and Oceanic. (I've ruled out the titanium regs. very pricey)

Thanks for the response

If it was up to me I would probably go with a Scubapro regulator. There very reliable and you can get parts for them almost anywhere. I'd go with the Mk25/G250HP ($477.00 US). Good regulator, decent price. What more could you ask for.

Tekkie

:stupid:

I would have to agree with the above statement, altough you can probably find it cheaper than that somewhere.

norcaldiver once bubbled...
Does anyone else find it strange that ScubaPro stuff almost always gets great ratings in Rodales...

Umm maybe thats because it is great gear !!
We have
2X S600 Mk25
1 X G500 Mk25 UL
2X Scuba Pro Air 2's
1 X Lady Hawk BCD

Just top gear that just does not break

Whoa I don't want to start a banter of Rodale reviews.

But I did notice that diver's tend toward Scubapro. Could it be that Scubapro is just a really established brand?

Not saying SP is bad, in fact their stuff is realy good. I'm just saying don't believe everything you read. Trust the divers, not the writers.

What would be your non SP choice?

Also what about diaphragm vs piston first stages?

I use a Mares Ruby on one side and a Poseidon JetStream on the other for deep diving.

After you have set yourself a budget it is all down to personal preference. My advice go find yourself as many Regs in your price range as you can and go diving with them, till you find one you fall in love with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom