First Stage: Keeping it Dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With your cap on the air in the hoses will stop water entering the first stage. even if you purge your reg underwater when washing, water isn't going to get to the first stage - not without significant effort.

I don't trust the 1st stage caps to keep water out. If your experience indicates that they work then great, but for me...I will keep mine in a dry place ready for use after the dive and I will continue to rinse my reg attached to a tank and make the recommendation to do so. While you might not experience water ingress the way you do things, I know that with a reg attached to the tank and the air on, that it is nearly impossible for water to ingress. I will put my money on the "nearly impossible" over the "might not" any day. Nothing wrong , though, with your method if it works for you.

-Z

As far as I know most caps on the 1st stages are just dust caps. I wouldn't (and don't) trust it to keep water out if submerged.

... and yeah, I used the cylinder air to blow water off my cap when switching over in a boat. I even crack the cylinder before to blow whatever out. :D

I started to wonder whether I should sanitize the mouthpieces? Does anyone do something like that?

There are a lot of things that keep me up at night...this is not one of them! :)

As far as I know most caps on the 1st stages are just dust caps. I wouldn't (and don't) trust it to keep water out if submerged.

... and yeah, I used the cylinder air to blow water off my cap when switching over in a boat. I even crack the cylinder before to blow whatever out. :D

My 50-year-old US Divers dust caps actually have O-rings in them. The later ones do not so they just get a quick dip but the first stage is sealed anyway.

I don't trust the 1st stage caps to keep water out. If your experience indicates that they work then great, but for me...I will keep mine in a dry place ready for use after the dive and I will continue to rinse my reg attached to a tank and make the recommendation to do so. While you might not experience water ingress the way you do things, I know that with a reg attached to the tank and the air on, that it is nearly impossible for water to ingress. I will put my money on the "nearly impossible" over the "might not" any day. Nothing wrong , though, with your method if it works for you.

-Z
Agree with you on keeping the reg. attached to tank and air on to rinse, and recall hearing that from the beginning. I don't because it's more convenient to wash it detached, and I'm lazy.

Question for everyone that has suggested rinsing while attached to tank with air on:
Do you leave your reg connected to tank while departing the dive site and during the ride home or to dive shop with wash basin? Or disconnect it then reconnect it? I don't own tanks so I'd have to bring the rentals home or to the shop just to rinse. What's your process?

There seems to be a lot of kid glove treatment recommended which is overkill Dive gear is pretty resiliant.
Dive gear is very tough. You’d be surprised how annoying it is for me when people caress their gear almost as if it’s a baby.

Also, what actually happens if you get water into your first stages if it’s a sealed diaphragm, you get it serviced, but what actually happens? Why is it bad?

Also, what actually happens if you get water into your first stages if it’s a sealed diaphragm, you get it serviced, but what actually happens? Why is it bad

I’m no expert. Water will cause damage from corrosion at least. On tech side mount you are taught how to swap a 1st stage underwater as a last resort (you do it on dry land) It would require a complete service afterwards and the spg would be a right off.

Dive gear is very tough. You’d be surprised how annoying it is for me when people caress their gear almost as if it’s a baby.

I have to admit, I am surprised that because someone chooses to take greater care of their dive gear, it could be an annoyance to someone else, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom