First Time Diving in West Palm suggestions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you haven't already done this trip, let me attempt to strip away the chaff and try to deliver the seed you're looking for here :)

I can't recommend Jupiter to somebody with under 25 dives. Yes, it can be high energy, high current, and have big animal encounters galore, but..... As already pointed out, Jupiter diving tends to run deeper and will leave the diver on air with less than an hour of accumulated bottom time on a two tank trip and even less if you're in a "sensory overload" situation.

I think you'll be better off sticking to shallower and easier dives and building up your bottom time and experience (and becoming a nitrox diver) before jumping into Jupiter diving.

Look for an operator in Palm Beach or Boynton Beach that's doing some of their 45-60' reefs (or wrecks) that offer lot's of profile, milder current, and very wide variety of things to see. Even on air, a diver can get easily get two hours of BT at these depths with an hour SI between dives.

As post #5 states, everyone here has their favorites.

Out of Palm Beach, I personally like Narcosis and Little Deeper but NONE of the operators in the area are "bad", it's just people's personal preference (how crowded, boat size, price, does the captain tell good jokes, etc.).

As others mentioned, Boynton Beach has a lot to offer and I actually prefer it to Palm Beach. In Boynton Beach, I've stopped diving with everyone else except Dive Boynton Beach (the owner posts here as ScubaKevDM).

IMO, Palm Beach County (and Jupiter) offers world class diving and it's only three hours from your house so take your time and work your way up to the deeper diving.

I absolutely recommend diving West Palm Beach and Sandy's group.

First, WPB has great variety of dive sites, from 60-100 ft, both wrecks and reefs. The inlet is much safer than the Jupiter one, so the boats in WPB don't have to cancel as often as the ones in Jupiter. I've seen sharks, turtles, eels, rays, dolphins, sailfish...some awesome marine life.

"Sandy's Sunday" is the name of the boat. The company is Ocean Quest Scuba and they have just simply the most professional and enjoyable crew you can find. You get to dive your profile, no crazy time limits...we get input on the dive sites, the regulars on the boat act like a huge family, and it is always a good time. My only wish is that Sandy would get back in the water more with us....we miss her in the water. Seems like now she primarily only dives when teaching.

Check out the website www.oceanquestscuba.com Sandy hasn't raised her rates even with all the extra fuel costs. I heard her tell somebody that it doesn't do anybody any good if people can't afford to come. My opinion of her was already high, but that made me think even more of her. While everyone else is sticking it to you because of the fuel rates...this group is still worried about keeping it "affordable".

I'm on the boat just about every other weekend for one trip on Saturday and Sunday. Hope to see you. Good luck with your diving adventure.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input on diving in WPB.My wife is from that area so I know the area well what I was wondering is I'll be coming down in about 2 weeks I have a 3mm suit with a skin will that be enough?I'm not a big guy.

thanks again can't wait to find a charter and dive WPB.

love this board with all the great information everyone gives

John

As others mentioned, Boynton Beach has a lot to offer and I actually prefer it to Palm Beach. In Boynton Beach, I've stopped diving with everyone else except Dive Boynton Beach (the owner posts here as ScubaKevDM).

What he said.
icon14.gif

You won't find a better op in that neighborhood, nobody even comes close.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input on diving in WPB.My wife is from that area so I know the area well what I was wondering is I'll be coming down in about 2 weeks I have a 3mm suit with a skin will that be enough?I'm not a big guy.

thanks again can't wait to find a charter and dive WPB.

love this board with all the great information everyone gives

John

I used a 3 mm shorty on saturday in Jupiter and 10 days ago in WPB with no skin and was fine

A 3mm should be fine.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom