First time diving vacation Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,
I want to take my wife and adult daughters on a dive vacation in Belize. My wife is/was certified 25 years ago. Our daughters and I have no diving experience. Can we get certified and get some open water diving in over a week's vacation? Does anyone have a recommendation on who to contact for a package like this? Thanks!

I would recommend all of you getting certified prior to your trip. Your training should involve 1 to 2 pool sessions
and 4 open water dives. I think you guys will have more fun on vacation if you show up ready to dive.

For my money and vacation time, I would get the classroom and pool work done at home. Easy to get virtually any shop to do the remaining open water portion of your certification in Belize. My choice would be Rudy (owner) of Island Divers in San Pedro for your referral.

In addition, I would start a thread on the Belize page to get a list of which dive shops people prefer.

I agree with the other posters, that you can benefit from doing the first part of the certification course, book and pool work, here, and then do the final two days of "open water" dives at a training center in Belize. However, if you are willing to devote four or five days of your vacation exclusively to diving, then you can certainly do it in Belize while on your vacation. On of the things you will learn in class is that you need to end diving 24 hours before flying, so be sure your planning provides for that. As far as finding a dive center, google "Belize dive training" and you will see a bunch of places at various locations in the Country. I am a fan of Ambergris Cay, and the town of San Pedro, but that's just a personal opinion.
DivemasterDennis

I agree with all. If possible do the whole course at home (I know it's cold there now). You don't even want to be doing the 4 "checkout" ocean dives on vacation unless you're there like a month. This takes up 2 full days with skills to be accomplished each dive. But at least get all the book/pool work done beforehand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom