First trip to Phillipines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Centrals, I'm planning our first trip to the Philippines in July, which I'm aware isn't the best timing, especially out West. So of the places you mention I think Southern Leyte is likely to have the best weather, can anyone please compare the diving there to Malapascua, Panglao and Moalboal for me? We've dived Komodo / Flores and would love to re-live that experience, ideally with added manta rays / whale sharks ;P
July is typhoon season, you should look for protected spots, Moalboal offers 365 diving days per year or so,,though I wouldn't recommend Moalboal for more than 2 days fo the Sardines and Pescador (I'm currently writiing from Moalboal, it has become like a Koh Tao place where cheap backpacker divers meet low expectations dive centres
It seems serious diving has gone AWOL in 3-4 years (last time I spent some time there), I could not recognize serious dive centers like Savedra which is now happy catering to beginner backpacker divers with nonsense dive schedules (for instance Pescador, which is always the deepest dive, scheduled at 11AM because otherwise it's too early for millenniial divers) or an army of gringo instructors who have only been there for a couple of months.

Balicasag was fine with a quite impressive jackfish school, but Panglao diving is sometimes tame (same problem as with Moalboal) .

Pesonally I find Malapascua diving somehow limited, apart from the Threshers/Mantas. I expect more from a dive area, also it's probably the less protected area away at sea.of all you cited (I alreday dived Monad in swells 2-3m high in august, that day I was asking myself quitessential questions such as why I was diving).

Don't expect diving quality like Komodo however : Indonesia is a step above most of the diving in the Phils. 'btw I'm surprized you want to add mantas to your Komodo experience, lots of them in Komodo !!

Last edited:
July is certainly typhoon season.
I have never seen manta over last 22yrs in Philippines perhaps I was unlucky or always in the wrong place in the wrong time eg. one hammerhead in Lyang Lyang.
Malapascua does has devil ray if you do look up at Monad Shoal. We saw several swam by while on extended planned deoc stop there!
Panglao and Moalboal were very good at least 15yrs ago when mass tourism had not arrived.
Sipalay and Southern Leyte are the only two places that really worth visiting. The corals are very healthy but not much fish.
Whaleshark in Southern Leyte is from Nov to Mar.

Malapascua does has devil ray if you do look up at Monad Shoal. We saw several swam by while on extended planned deoc stop there!
Malapascua also has (had?) manta rays on the other side of Monad schoals, but it's better going in the afternoon. And it's NOT the devil rays you see at the Thresher's cleaning point, I've never seen devil rays with a 4m wing span.

I have never seen manta over last 22yrs in Philippines perhaps I was unlucky or always in the wrong place in the wrong time.
Wow, that’s pretty jaded assessment. Based on my recent trip there’s lots of great places to dive in PH, and yes, mass tourism has ruined some places.

Was just in Donsol/Ticao and saw mantas on 3 out of 4 dives, and saw a whale shark on the 4th.

Wow, that’s pretty jaded assessment. Based on my recent trip there’s lots of great places to dive in PH, and yes, mass tourism has ruined some places.

Was just in Donsol/Ticao and saw mantas on 3 out of 4 dives, and saw a whale shark on the 4th.
Make no mistake I still come to the country several times year because of cheap flight and close distance. The flight alone to Indonesia can easily cover 3-4 days of diving in Philippines for me.
Hammerhead, manta, whaleshark or whatnot is not the reason why I enjoy diving. It is more than that.

I dont know who said diving in Philippines is expensive but they were obviously taken for a ride. I've dived around Asia and I think Philippines could be the cheapest diving on the planet. When I've booked in advance and do over 6-8 dives at one place I've had dive rates go down to as low a 900php per dive. Including equipment! And that's Puerto Galera as well btw.

I've been diving around Cebu every summer for the last 4-5years. Moalboal has become noticeably louder with the younger backpacker crowd for sure. But I still pass through and get a day or two of diving there because it's just such easy dives and the sea life is still great.

I've been to Malapascua once and haven't been back because, as Luko mentioned, the sea life is very limited. You go there to see the Threshers. And it's definitely worth it. But I don't fancy more 4am wake ups.

I've done some travel around Bohol/panglao. Good diving but awfully crowded topside. Wouldn't go back.

Puerto Galera/Sabang is one of my go to places as well. Diving is good. Not as good as Cebu IMO but I like the vibe there on the further beaches.

I've been going further south recently. Apo island off Dumaguete is good diving. Siquijor island is so so diving but has awesome beaches and laid back lifestyle. And most of the diving is shore diving. I like just strapping on a tank and walking into the sea and walking out to the bar!

Cebu isn't effected by the monsoon season in the summer like other parts of the Philippines. There's the occasional rain but it never usually interferes with the diving.

I'm always in pi June/July so I miss the Tubataha live aboard a which I heard are one of the best in the world.

And yes, diving in Pi might not be as exciting as Komodo, RA, sipidan, chuuk etc but it's still awesome diving with great sea life, inexpensive diving, spoilt for choice with accommodation and food, and the people are absolutely the friendliest I've met anywhere in Asia. Makes for a great holiday. I'm there every June/July and happy to buy a round of cold ones if anyone wants to give me a holler

The Philippines kicks Cozumel's butt when it comes to diving, there is so much more biodiversity to be enjoyed. it is worth spending the extra time on a plane to get to the Philippines. I have seen airfare as low as $550 RT to the Philippines. Time to shake off the Cozumel shackles and explore more of the world :)

Diving in PG is good but NOT the best.
I prefer Southern Leyte and Sipalay.
And Tubattaha is head and shoulder above everyone.

I really do not see any reason to book full board in PG.

Hi there! I would love to hear your recommendations for the best land based diving in the Philippines, preferably with only one flight after arriving in Manila. I've been to PG, Anilao and Dumagette thus far - seeking the next great place. Prefer no liveaboards though so my kid can reach me via the WWW while I am on vacation. Thanks!

PS - I LOVE the Philippines and while I do shoot mainly macro subjects there are larger critters to be spotted as well. If any of you that regularly visit other areas of the Philippines than those places I have been (Anilao, PG, and Dumagette), and would like to chat or give recommendations, please add me and PM me on Facebook (where I am more regular than here on SB).

I live in Vancouver, BC Canada and I can happily say that I can get a direct flight from Vancouver to Manila for under $1,000 CDN and it would cost me $1,400 plus at least 1 or 2 layovers to get anywhere in the Caribbean.

I LOVE THE PHILIPPINES and I am going to be in Anilao again in November... but where to go after that? I would love to hear from you. Here is my album of photos from my last trip so you can see what there is there... so lovely!!

PS - I tried adding photos with the link thing - it didn't work, so don't click on the photo thing, it won't do anything, just click on my name below if you have a FB account and you can see the album, it is "public".

Jody Lynn Clark

photo.php

Hi there! I would love to hear your recommendations for the best land based diving in the Philippines, preferably with only one flight after arriving in Manila. I've been to PG, Anilao and Dumagette thus far - seeking the next great place. Prefer no liveaboards though so my kid can reach me via the WWW while I am on vacation. Thanks!
Book the through ticket with PAL. The flight from YVR arrives in the morning so plenty of time to make the domestic connection with either PAL or 5J(Cebu Pacific). From time to time 5J has really great promotion ie P1 ticket.

Sipalay(Artistic Dive resort): Flight to either Bacolod or Dumaguete and then long overland transfer.
Southern Leyte(Sogod Bay, Peter's dive resort)): Flight to Tacloban and then also long overland transfer. Whaleshark season is from Nov to Mar. You can fly into Cebu City and catch a fast ferry to Maasin and then short ride to Sogod Bay. However, you have to check the ferry schedule otherwise you have to spend a night in Cebu.
Both places are on the mainland albeit very isolated so you better ask the operators for internet connection.

Another good enough place is Malapascua(Evolution). Flight to Cebu City and then land and sea transfer. Thresher shark is the main reason to go there.
All these three places are accessible with public transport[cheap but not that cheerful(slow)]. An AC bus from Bacolod to Sipalay should normally take 5-6 hrs!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom