Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are three pictures from the camera setup. All three photos are untouched from the camera.

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0085.jpg

Just unboxed the new FIX housing. Right off I am impressed with the housing, precision is the operating adjective here. This think is a nifty little chunk of aluminum. Very precise meshing with the camera, absolutely amazing work.

Holy cow, like Ryan has said and pointed out, this rig allows access IMMEDIATELY to both f stop and shutter speed without any menu or buttons, simply rotate the dual control rings which are slick as well-----------.

I don't think it can be over stated how small this rig is, this is a pocket camera even when in the FIX housing! It fits in my hand like a range finder 35mm. The balance is perfect and the controls are all easy to access and work smoothly with no fuss or dinking around.

Now, if we can get FIX to make the wide angle lenses work and to offer solid adapters we are in the Super Bowl here!!!!!!

Looking at this thing, the port is removable, which means---hmmmmmm.

Compudude, yes, it will fit to an Ikelite tray with an adapter (homemade) but now with it in front of me this rig begs for something more elegant. However, the Ikelite is what I have so it will be what I use I imagine.

N

Holy cow, like Ryan has said and pointed out, this rig allows access IMMEDIATELY to both f stop and shutter speed without any menu or buttons, simply rotate the dual control rings which are slick as well-----------.

Thank Effing G-d. My biggest complaint about my S80, bar none. Way too much work to play with the common settings. Not a massive deal on land, but underwater, conditions can change drastically from one shot to the next, and the ability to change configs in an instant is hugely desirable.

As soon as the verdict is in on the wide angle glass, I'm ready to lay down the plastic. *wince*

Here are three pictures from the camera setup. All three photos are untouched from the camera.

View attachment 69987 View attachment 69988 View attachment 69989

Thanks!

Dude in photo #3 needed to take a snap of the rig underwater, so we could see that, too. :coffee:

Did you use the internal strobe, or any external lighting?

I'd be REALLY curious to see some macro shots done with solely the internal strobe. (Not that I shoot that way much, but it would be cool to have the option, in a pinch)

That "dude" is my wife doing some video. And yes, she has a couple videos of me with my rig. Once she has processed and edited her work, I can post it as well. I use two strobes (110a) on an Ultralight Control System set of arms. I also have a Big Blue focus light. 1 Canon and 12 AA batteries to make the rig run.

No, the close up I did was with external strobes. I did not think of turning them off to test the built-in light.

Obviously having had the FIX housing for only a few hours and having been playing with the S90 now for a few days only, these opinions are sketchy at best, but, I am of the mind based on my experience that the Inon 100WAL with dome will work with this outfit. It is further my opinion, that with a pinch of luck the Inon 165AD fisheye can be made to work.

Both require zooming to 35mm equivalent, both are not showing vignetting in the viewfinder. From past use of these lenses, putting them in water further reduces the tendency to vignette. Now, will they be pro-sharp, corner to corner, I doubt it but I think they will work adequately if the adapters are compact and solid and allow the lenses to mount as close as possible to the port. Please FIX et al, pretty please.

Note, the Inon 165FE is a fisheye lens. Even if I zoom to 50mm equiv it still produces as wide a FOV as the Inon 100WAL with dome if not wider, when in the water. You cannot judge this lens above water.

These are initial opinions and if I am wrong----.

Comparison pics, FIX S90 vs Canon DC-12 A570IS and Ikelite for A570IS:

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

The bottom:

DSCF0005.jpg

Hmmm, I may have some 570 rigs for sale.

N

Last edited:
That "dude" is my wife doing some video. And yes, she has a couple videos of me with my rig. Once she has processed and edited her work, I can post it as well. I use two strobes (110a) on an Ultralight Control System set of arms. I also have a Big Blue focus light. 1 Canon and 12 AA batteries to make the rig run.

No, the close up I did was with external strobes. I did not think of turning them off to test the built-in light.

LOL sorry, no insult intended... I saw bubbles and camera gear, and didn't pay attention further to notice the pink gear.

The macro shot in photo #1 is lit with strobes? Ok, I believe you... looks really blue, like it was natural light. I thought maybe you passed on the strobes that dive, or at least those shots.

That was underwater shot number six. I was still working out strobes. It may be that the strobes were too wide on that one.

Also, the front plastic ring to cover the adapter location falls off very easily. If anyone is diving the flats south of Jupiter, FL please look for mine. :)

So, there I was sitting there looking at the FIX90 housing when it occurred to me that there was absolutely no room for desiccant packs. Well, on the front right hand side there is a hollow between the lens ring gear and the camera pad that will barely take a small desiccant package. Also, the Moisture Muncher SL911 tube drops in the space like it was made for it. N

So, there I was sitting there looking at the FIX90 housing when it occurred to me that there was absolutely no room for desiccant packs. Well, on the front right hand side there is a hollow between the lens ring gear and the camera pad that will barely take a small desiccant package. Also, the Moisture Muncher SL911 tube drops in the space like it was made for it. N

Hopefully it won't really need it. I've had about 3 instances of lens fogging in almost 400 dives with my camera, and never use desiccant.

Personally, I wish there was a smidge extra room in front on the right so I could put a Richard Franiec Grip on the S90 and leave it there, rather than taking it on and off (impractical) or simply going without (which is what I'll have to do).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom