Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully it won't really need it. I've had about 3 instances of lens fogging in almost 400 dives with my camera, and never use desiccant.

Personally, I wish there was a smidge extra room in front on the right so I could put a Richard Franiec Grip on the S90 and leave it there, rather than taking it on and off (impractical) or simply going without (which is what I'll have to do).

I have had plenty of fogging, maybe it is the warm humid environments I usually dive in.

The grip, lol, forget that, not going to happen, no way. This housing fits the camera like a glove with virtually no extra room. Maybe you can put that grip on your spare S90, huh, :eyebrow: ?

Actually the precision fit is what allows the ring controls to work, it is a good thing, not a bad thing. Don't need no stink'n grip.

N

LOL good idea. Of course, first I have to pay for the housing. And the AD connector. And the WA lens.

Then perhaps a spare S90. :wink:

Nem,

Sweet looking little housing. Should work well and am anxious to hear if adapters to use the wide lens they are offering or of course your INON UFL-165 Fisheye will work.

As Compudude says I wouldn't be too concerned about dessicant. I have yet to use any in my Ikelite Canon S90 housing.

Already one rumor about 6 months down the road the S90 and G11 successor might get HD video in them (groan.....) But if the body stays the same we might luck out with a "drop in" to existing housings.

Finally, for Compudude.....

The Richard Franiec grip is great looking and DOES provide a cool hand hold on the slippery little S90. But I have simply used the Canon supplied wrist strap so I can drop it in and out of my housing without a hassle. I even leave it attached and tuck it into a cubby hole that doesn't interfere with the back o-ring!

If S90 prices drop significantly and I pick up a spare then maybe I would dedicate one for surface shooting and backup knowing I could remove the grip for UW housing use...

All in all a fantastic little camera available for making pictures NOW...

dhaas

The HD video is just not important to me. I am a photographer---- (in my dreams---lol).

Yeah, I had considered that of course there will be the S90HD/S100A. Hopefully it will be a drop in upgrade. At least I am not going to be stuck with an obsolete dSLR.

The S90 is really cool, I may need a spare, especially if the S100A is not a drop in. I really like the way that when in manual I can turn the front and rear control rings for shutter and f stop and there is an actual metering needle on the display!

I doubt I get my new camera in the water, for real, until March or even April. I have to go out of country on business for Feb. and such. Sand Dog is probably my first opportunity to give it a work out.

Yes, very hopeful that the Inon 165FE will work so I don't have to buy yet another high dollar lens, lol.

Looking forward to the G14 with interchangeable glass. :wink: By then I will have recovered from the S90 adventure :wink: and have some money to burn.

N

Last edited:
.. Already one rumor about 6 months down the road the S90 and G11 successor might get HD video in them (groan.....) But if the body stays the same we might luck out with a "drop in" to existing housings.
dhaas
That would be great and something I would go for. But.. Canon not changing the body config.. When was the last time that happened.
G3 to G5 (2003), S2 to S3 (2003) and S100 to S110 (2001)
So, it is possible.
It's the old problem.. If you keep waiting, you never enjoy the fruits of what is available.
That is a sweet compact setup (both Fix & Canon).
Are we reaching the limits of how small a good underwater rig can get?

Thanks!

Dude in photo #3 needed to take a snap of the rig underwater, so we could see that, too. :coffee:

Did you use the internal strobe, or any external lighting?

I'd be REALLY curious to see some macro shots done with solely the internal strobe. (Not that I shoot that way much, but it would be cool to have the option, in a pinch)

I took a look at my notes. That picture was done with mostly natural lighting. The internal flash fired, but is mostly obscured. The external lights were still set up for wide angle and therefore overshot the image.

Finally, for Compudude.....

The Richard Franiec grip is great looking and DOES provide a cool hand hold on the slippery little S90. But I have simply used the Canon supplied wrist strap so I can drop it in and out of my housing without a hassle. I even leave it attached and tuck it into a cubby hole that doesn't interfere with the back o-ring!

I think the tolerances of the Fix housing are MUCH tighter, and it won't be an option to tuck the wrist strap into the housing.

I'd be pleased to be wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure.

I think the tolerances of the Fix housing are MUCH tighter, and it won't be an option to tuck the wrist strap into the housing.

I'd be pleased to be wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure.

No, you will not be tucking anything anywhere on the FIX with S90, there is zero extra room. The housing is built to such precision that when the strobe pops up a hair from a gnat would hardly fit between the camera and housing. There is essentially no extra room anywhere. It is tight and it is precise.

I am pretty sure that this is the first actually capable camera rig that compares to the Nikonos in size.

N

There is very little room in this housing. The only area is to the right of the camera and I wouldn't expect to get anything significant in that area either. Perhaps a piece of paper with your name and address on it.

Inside S90.jpg

There is a nice and sturdy boss for a camera strap on the housing. I am telling you, you can shoot the S90 in the housing, heck, it is smaller than the G11 in the housing!!!!!! And the controls operate so smoothly, especially the shutter, it is almost possible to say that the housing is transparent/invisible to the operation of the camera.

One thing, the LED status green/orange indicator is not visible, but really it matters not.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom