Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude (and others)

My bad......I was referring to my IKELITE Canon S90 housing I can tuck the wrist lanyard in.....

Sorry for the confusion.....

dhaas

Were those photographs taken with the FIX/S90?

OK, I see now, I think they were. It appears that the Inon UWL100 Type II is usable which is exciting. It also appears the Inon UWL28D is usable. It also appears that the Fisheye (brand) lenses are usable.

The small corner vignetting on the ultra wide lenses is to be expected and is easily Photoshopped/cropped/zoomed out with a still very wide FOV resulting.

My experiments indicate to me that the Inon 165AD FE may be usable if the 28AD mount is compatible.

This is all very encouraging and exciting. I am so happy :).

Compudude, lol, better jump! The water is fine in the deep end.

N

My experiments indicate to me that the Inon 165AD FE may be usable if the 28AD mount is compatible.

Assuming that the Inon 165AD fits into the 28AD mount on the S90 FIX housing:

Is there a loss in image quality when you zoom the S90 to 35mm to prevent vignetting? For some reason (that I cannot explain) I'm convinced there must be some disadvantage other than having to zoom a little? I'm ready to pull the trigger on S90+FIX, but I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks for another wide-angle lens (I already have the 165AD) just to avoid a couple of taps on my zoom button..?

Comments and opinions gratefully received :)

Assuming that the Inon 165AD fits into the 28AD mount on the S90 FIX housing:

Is there a loss in image quality when you zoom the S90 to 35mm to prevent vignetting? For some reason (that I cannot explain) I'm convinced there must be some disadvantage other than having to zoom a little? I'm ready to pull the trigger on S90+FIX, but I don't want to spend a few hundred bucks for another wide-angle lens (I already have the 165AD) just to avoid a couple of taps on my zoom button..?

Comments and opinions gratefully received :)

Most of the wet lenses were made to operate with a 35mm FL (equivalent) prime lens. On some cameras, particularly those with long zoom ratios (especially starting at 28mm FL) the prime lens racks way back and then way forward as it zooms. This is not the case with the S90, this camera does not even have a 4X zoom ratio, the prime lens barely moves comparatively to say a G11/10.

You see the proof in the pudding in the link provided (in other post above). The top photo is the S90 at full wide, the subsequent photos are taken with the various lenses attached, at full wide and then zoomed one notch to 35mm equivalent.

Note that the Inon 10028AD does not require zooming because it was made for a 28mm lens, also note that the photo is not any wider than the 100 Type II Inon lens with the S90 zoomed to 35mm.

Yes, another concern with zooming can be corner softness and loss of edge focus for lack of a better wording. I do not believe that this is the case here. Also note that all of the wet lenses do not compare to something like a Tokina 10-17 on a dSLR. Still the results can be very impressive and useful.

On the S90 you can use the ring control for preset zoom settings. No need for much button pushing on this camera.

I have the 165AD lens also. I can set it to the FIX90 housing and with the camera set to 35mm there is no vignetting apparent in a few test photos. But, until I have a mount, I cannot say for sure, only what I am seeing on my bench--it works.

N

Were those photographs taken with the FIX/S90?

OK, I see now, I think they were. It appears that the Inon UWL100 Type II is usable which is exciting. It also appears the Inon UWL28D is usable. It also appears that the Fisheye (brand) lenses are usable.

The small corner vignetting on the ultra wide lenses is to be expected and is easily Photoshopped/cropped/zoomed out with a still very wide FOV resulting.

This is all very encouraging and exciting. I am so happy :).

Compudude, lol, better jump! The water is fine in the deep end.

N

I'm starting to think you're right. There may be a call to Ryan in my very near future. If things are slow enough at work today, for instance... :crafty:

Do you know if they have AD mounts in stock yet, at all? It's been a while since I've used my camera without wanting to throw on my UCL-165AD's every few shots.

Oh, and how's the development of that mounting plate for Ikelite trays coming along? :eyebrow:

Note that the Inon 10028AD does not require zooming because it was made for a 28mm lens, also note that the photo is not any wider than the 100 Type II Inon lens with the S90 zoomed to 35mm.

Now if only we could get a sample photo taken with, instead of just the plain UWL-100 28AD, but adding the Dome Lens Unit to it, which takes the lens from a 100 degree FOV to whopping 150.8 degrees, we could have a winner!

Let me try to be more clear. These lenses with the exception of the Inon 10028AD lenses were made for a prime lens FL of 35mm. The designer has to compromise certain aspects when he designs a wet lens. He has to assume a lens diameter and a working distance between the lenses. These lenses all have a "sweet" spot where they work best in terms of distance seperating the wet lens rear element and the objective element of the prime lens. If the wet lens is to far away it will vignette, loose corner detail etc. There can also be aberrations if the lens is held to close, this because it was designed to operate at a specific distance, a "sweet" spot so to say.

The S90 with the FIX housing, thanks to luck and the small zoom ratio and the small lens of the camera and the very compact size of the housing and port seem to be in the "sweet" spot. Only more testing will tell for sure but from the looks of what I see at home and now from the FIX link, I think we have good potential for several different workable solutions for wide angle and even fisheye ultra wide angle with this combination.

N

I'm starting to think you're right. There may be a call to Ryan in my very near future. If things are slow enough at work today, for instance... :crafty:

Do you know if they have AD mounts in stock yet, at all? It's been a while since I've used my camera without wanting to throw on my UCL-165AD's every few shots.

Oh, and how's the development of that mounting plate for Ikelite trays coming along? :eyebrow:

It is minus 4 degrees. I may try to warm the shop up enough to see what an adapter will look like this weekend but it is really cold.

I think the 10028AD with dome and the 100 Type II with dome will both provide excellent results only exceeded perhaps by the Inon 165AD FE (big ???????) or the Fisheye ultra wide lens (sure deal).

N

It is minus 4 degrees. I may try to warm the shop up enough to see what an adapter will look like this weekend but it is really cold.

Wuss. :wink:

(no worries, shipping the housing from Florida to SoCal will take time anyway)

It's supposed to be 75 here today, but the overnight low will dip all the way down to 48 degrees! I'd better wear a long sleeve shirt today, just in case I'm out late. :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom