Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's extremely interesting. There's nothing about a plain AD (non-28AD) adapter on the Fisheye site. I'll have to give Reef a call and ask what's up. I'm going to be pissed if I wasted nearly $200 on an adapter when a different one would have been better...

You know, just looking at the web page, Reef has the adapter listed as an AD kit but the part number indicates it is actually the 28AD kit.

I do not believe there is currently a specific AD FIX90 kit, could be wrong, but don't see it.

N

And now everybody is awaiting the results from compudude...

Cant wait anymore

Sorry... the dive this weekend was scrubbed. Swell is too big for the area we were planning to dive, vis would be piss-poor and not worth the boat charter. I'm bummed, but testing with the UFL-165AD will have to wait until local conditions improve some more...

Got out with the s90 for the first time on sunday took some shots with 2 macro ad lenses,not got the wide angle yet,also 1 or 2 of the shots was with the camera by itself no lenses but all used a sea&sea ys 110a strobe set to ttl via aperature priority through the camera.please note these shots were taken in uk waters not tropical waters.

Attachments

• IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0367.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    444 KB · Views: 105
After battling the UPS bureaucracy I finally managed to get ahold of my package. The housing seems bombproof, but the wheels don't seem to operate that smoothly, maybe it's normal but it seems to me I have to do a lot of turning to get the settings to change on the camera. And turning the rear wheel will only only work in one direction, kind of bummer since I chose this housing precisely for the access to that wheel. I'll contact the shop and see what can be done.

So depending on what happens I may or may not have it with me this week end on the ice dive (can't wait to try it underwater).

I think when pressure is on the housing the rear wheel will operate the control both ways. Mine does. Both the front and rear rings do take more than what you would initially think in rotation to effect a change but I like it that way, makes inadvertent changes, especially of the rear wheel unlikely.

Press the back together on the clasp side as you operate the control to simulate water pressure, see if it works then. There will be slippage. Turn the control both ways, keep turning, it should move the camera control.

In any case, mine does operate the controls in both directions, there is some minor slippage and a certain amount of rotation is required for the control to effect the change on the camera, the two combined result in more turning that you might think at first, the rear in particular as the little teeth in the control ring mate with the teeth/fingers in the camera back plate. I think that is normal and to be expected.

Good luck.

N

Yeah with some pressure the wheel works in both directions. I was just wondering if it was normal.

Now I need a bigger bathtub and I need to go diving.

Shot these in the pool, just a few quick snaps after swimming my mile. I used the Inon 165AD FE lens with the 10Bar adapter on my FIX90 housing. A corner occasionally vignettes, I think it is the image stabilizer shifting around. I forgot to bring my DIY adapter which is somewhat thinner and probably would eliminate all vignetting but nonetheless, I am happy with the results. I used no flash, ISO400, Av mode, f4.0, S90 preset to 35mm zoom. The pool at this Y is very dark and so I kept getting the shake warning so the lack of sharpness is blur, sorry. It was a cloudy, gray day here and the pool was especially dark.

Shooting distance for this one to show diagonal field was about 3 or 4 feet:

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

Notice the FOV above and below is not much different:

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0372_edited-1.jpg

A 4X6 crop on this one:

IMG_0343_edited-1.jpg

I think these remove all doubt that not only does the Inon 165AD work with the S90 and FIX housing, the FOV is very WIDE and vignetting is minimal even with the "store bought everyone can get one" 10Bar adapter, it would only be better with my DIY version. In the times that the IS caused vignetting of a corner, a 4X6 or less crop cleans it up just jiffy and is still very WIDE.

BTW, none of the images were cropped in anyway or Photoshopped except for the one I stated is a 4X6 crop. Occasionally one of the corners vignettes, usually either the top right or lower right, I think it is image shift for the IS. I believe that my slightly thinner DIY adapter will completely eliminate the occurrence of vignetting in all cases. As you can see, what there is would be pretty minor.

Mirror mirror against silvered surface, how lovely thy Inon 165AD Fisheye lens be.

N

Last edited:
So wait, nemrod,

You have the FIX90 housing, and the 10bar 67mm to AD adapter? That's all? Or do you have to buy a $200 adapter and the 10bar one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom