Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So wait, nemrod,

You have the FIX90 housing, and the 10bar 67mm to AD adapter? That's all? Or do you have to buy a $200 adapter and the 10bar one?

Yo, dude, it is like this, FIX does not make an AD adapter kit. They make a 28AD kit. I purchased the FIX 67mm threaded adapter kit because I have several 67mm threaded lenses but I also have several AD mount lenses. So, using the 10 dollars 10Bar adapter (or my own, even better DIY adapter) I am able to mount my AD mount lenses to the FIX housing with the FIX 67mm adapter kit.

These things:

DSCF0001-1.jpg

Go here like this:

DSCF0002-2.jpg

So when assembled you get this:

DSCF0003-1.jpg

So you can shoot this:

IMG_0345.jpg

Notice the minor vignetting in that shot (on the right side that is not in the ones where I was a little less shaky :)), notice how blurry it is because I am moving and the IS is shifting to try and stop the shake, lol, that results from me moving through the water at Nemrod super speed.

N

So wait, nemrod,

You have the FIX90 housing, and the 10bar 67mm to AD adapter? That's all? Or do you have to buy a $200 adapter and the 10bar one?

He has the $200 Fix 67mm adapter, to which he connected the cheap 10bar 67toAD adapter, to which he connected the Inon UFL-165AD lens.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly.

Ahh I see now. Hey nemrod, how come you always take your DIY/assembly pictures without macro turned on? Always so out of focus, or maybe you just take pictures as fast as you swim.

Ahh I see now. Hey nemrod, how come you always take your DIY/assembly pictures without macro turned on? Always so out of focus, or maybe you just take pictures as fast as you swim.

LOL, remember when K Mart went out of business. I went in to get some deals and the only thing I walked out with was a Fuji digi cam for five dollars :dork2:. It takes pics like a five dollars camera too. :rofl3: But, I like it because if I hold still, they occasionally turn out and they are such small files I do not have to resize. No, the shots I always put up from my expansive inventory of about 30,000,000 images are taken with the cheap Fuji, not my S90 or 570 or my X-XX or whatever. LOL. Also, I drink coffee 24X7 so you are right, I usually am only still long enough to blink.

N

According to INON product information even a 5mm change in the distance from camera lens to INON lens can drastically affect focus, so your in-pool self-portrait may actually be out of focus because of the lens combination, not failure of autofocus. Also, there is apparently a difference in AD and AD28 mounts that will not allow an AD lens to mount to an AD28 mount base, except for the 165 macro lens. Maybe just the depth of mount relative to port glass, maybe sojmething else. I wondered why NONE of the Toadfish pictures I took off Cozumel with my S-90/WP-DC35/modified AD mount base (Fuji) and UWL-105AD lens were in focus. It may NOT have been slow focus and motion due to current, but actually inability of the camera/housing/lens combo to focus at all.

According to INON product information even a 5mm change in the distance from camera lens to INON lens can drastically affect focus, so your in-pool self-portrait may actually be out of focus because of the lens combination, not failure of autofocus. Also, there is apparently a difference in AD and AD28 mounts that will not allow an AD lens to mount to an AD28 mount base, except for the 165 macro lens. Maybe just the depth of mount relative to port glass, maybe sojmething else. I wondered why NONE of the Toadfish pictures I took off Cozumel with my S-90/WP-DC35/modified AD mount base (Fuji) and UWL-105AD lens were in focus. It may NOT have been slow focus and motion due to current, but actually inability of the camera/housing/lens combo to focus at all.

The Inon lens brochure pdf, to which Nemrod posted a link a few weeks ago, shows a lot of blurring creeping in from the edge as you move the UWL or UFL lens further from the camera lens than the ideal position.

How much deeper is the Canon port than it needs to be, to accommodate the S90 lens when fully extended in telephoto? How thick is the port?

Nemrod: you were going to post the answer to the above question for the FIX S90 housing. If you did, I apologize for missing the post, but would appreciate the data.

I assure you both that my camera does in fact focus, I have had it in the water twice now, focus is not an issue. Dark swimming pools and a slow 1/25 shutter speed and me swimming around will cause blur. I am going in again Sunday I think for additional tests with my strobes. BTW, I picked that blurry pool pic on purpose, I liked the blur, it was intentional.

Shooting distance about two feet:

IMG_0348.jpg

Held a little more still:

IMG_0338.jpg

The Y pool that lets me in has cloudy water, they installed a new filter system and it is still cloudy, I swim there three to five miles a week and it is always cloudy, it is not the camera:

IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0372_edited-1.jpg

All photos above shot at ISO400, shutter was 1/25 to 1/30 and f4.0, no strobe, Av mode I think it was.

The focus thing with me, y'all don't worry about my focus, lol :), when I am testing stuff out or playing around, I could care less about focus and blur and it shows:wink:. When it counts, they will be in focus and no blur. All I am doing at this stage is making sure my equipment fits and works and the strobes sync and the balance of the rig and all my homemade junk works, I am just learning my camera and system right now. I have about three weeks or a bit until I get the rig in the ocean for real, by then all issues will be worked out and my shots will be in focus as always.

I am not using a 28AD mount, I am fully aware of the differences and incompatibility of mounts. I have owned this lens now for 3 years and I think I have a good understanding of what it needs to work at this time. I am using a DIY AD mount on my FIX 67mm kit.

I will get the number for you, just do not recall at the moment, to much wine :) :). The S90 at full zoom nearly touches the port, it is very very close. Set at 35mm the distance from lens to lens is the same or shorter for the S90 vs the Canon 570 and DC-12, very comparable. They both have intermittent corner vignetting with the 165AD, very similar.

Your focus issue may be related to the mode you are in and your shutter push. Use a slow press or a half press with the S90, if you punch it the shots are often out of focus, especially in auto mode. The P mode is kind of slow also.

My 165AD is closer on the FIX than the Inon mount places it with the Canon 570 and DC-12, both to the port and to the lens. I only have about 1/32 between lens and port now if that.

Turn the focus verification on or turn on safety focus. When you see the square come up and and it indicates proper focus, then shoot, should be good. BTW, when the focus window is on and the window does not pop up that means there is no focus and when the shake warning is alerting as it was in every single shot above, y'all are being to critical. I am going to get some more wineee :), watching Precious, later.

I tell you one other thing, the 105AD lens, I had one and I sold it on eBay some time ago. I was never really happy with it after I got my Inon 100WAL and then I put the dome on it and wish I still had the 105AD. But, I never got the results from it I did with the 100WAL or the 165AD but I hardly think my opinion is conclusive on that.

N

Last edited:
So, there I was sitting there looking at the FIX90 housing when it occurred to me that there was absolutely no room for desiccant packs. Well, on the front right hand side there is a hollow between the lens ring gear and the camera pad that will barely take a small desiccant package. Also, the Moisture Muncher SL911 tube drops in the space like it was made for it. N
Does anybody have negative experience with fogging of FIX s90? I've had fogging many times with Canon s45/sd700 housings (despite I closed them in air-conditioned room, probably because of internal flash overheating) and always use small desiccant packs after that. Do you have to use the packs with FIX s90? Because FIX s90 has so little airspace inside I would guess it might be more susceptible for fogging, or it is vice versa?

Thanks

Does anybody have negative experience with fogging of FIX s90? I've had fogging many times with Canon s45/sd700 housings (despite I closed them in air-conditioned room, probably because of internal flash overheating) and always use small desiccant packs after that. Do you have to use the packs with FIX s90? Because FIX s90 has so little airspace inside I would guess it might be more susceptible for fogging, or it is vice versa?

Thanks

Aluminum housings tend to fog less than the plastic housings, aluminum transfers heat to the surrounding water more readily than does plastic.

Yes, there is room for a single Moisture Muncher or similar in the front right slot in the interior of the housing. The housing and camera are very small and there is virtually no extra space or volume.

N

I'm with Nemrod ... aluminum conducts heat much faster than glass, so if there is any condensation, it tends to be on the aluminum. Opposite the case for plastic cases, where the glass is the big transfer item.

However, one cannot always load the camera up in airconditioning, so having some emergency moisture packs can be a good idea (just in case).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom