fishing in Thailand's national park!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, also received the mail from DOCT, was just about to post it here,

i think this way they also come to realise that they cannot just do as they wish in Thailand. I agree that we cannot always wait for the governments to react (i sitll haven't heard back from TAT of the Forestry Deapartment!).

What i have discovered during these postings is that there's always the infrastructures there already - each individauls simply need to stir the soup when they see something's not quite what it should be. I have been pointed towards the right directions many times over the past week, and would like to thank all of you for all your inputs, advices, etc.
(this is beginning to sound a bit cheesy, so i'm going to stop)

thanks

That's awesome guys. It's good to see there was actually a response. Politicians and govt organizations will not put a lot of effort into things without pressure. A few emails can go a long way sometimes.

jiveturkey:
That's awesome guys. It's good to see there was actually a response. Politicians and govt organizations will not put a lot of effort into things without pressure. A few emails can go a long way sometimes.

Well, I don't think this got as far as the government, and if it did, I'm sure they gave it low priority. On the other hand, if something like this is reported to the DOCT (Dive Operators Club of Thailand), Alistair (the current president) knows how to get things done.

How about challenging the govt. in Bali next. When diving Mangangan Island on the north west coast (protected park) We saw the incredible carnage of a reef that had been heavily fished with dynamite. Nothing but rubble left. This was on a guided dive within the parks boundary! So sad........

I support Marine conservation. And it is against the law to fish in Marine park. My point of view changed when I stayed on Koh Lipe for a few weeks. It is in the Marine Park so no fishing allowed. However, fishing is also the main/only source of income for the sea gypsies who have lived on those surrounding islands for generations fom centuries ago. Their tiny boats do not have that kind of range nor safety to go out into open seas to catch a few fish and back. The local restaurants that cater to tourists buy fish from the sea gypsies. Without the fish supply from the local islanders, the restaurants would be forced to buy from commercial fishing operators. The fish would not be as fresh as the fresh catch by the sea gypsies, and the commercial fleet are actually more destructive to marine life than the method use by local islanders(fishing hooks, spear gun).

The marine park law were set up without the consideration of the well being of the local islanders. While it is important to follow the law, I believe there should be a balance in which the local islanders can continue their way of life and make a living to feed their family.

fishnchips:
I believe there should be a balance in which the local islanders can continue their way of life and make a living to feed their family.

Or ship in some canned tuna for them all...

No I agree with that. A few local fishermen feeding their family is one thing, especially if they've been there since before any National Park was declared. they weren't destroying anything before, right?

BUT this original post was about the beautiful Similan Islands. There are no local people living there....

Sunrise:
Or ship in some canned tuna for them all...

No I agree with that. A few local fishermen feeding their family is one thing, especially if they've been there since before any National Park was declared. they weren't destroying anything before, right?

BUT this original post was about the beautiful Similan Islands. There are no local people living there....

The "Chaulay" or Malay tribe, has been in the neighborhood for centuries... All the way from South Pacific to Thailand coastal islands and beaches, Vietnam minorities, Vietnam coastals and islands, South China, all over Indonesia, main race in Malaysia, minority in Philippines, the Indo China Pennisula.... according to their history, their ancestors follow the path of the turtles and they end up scattered all over the mainland and islands in South East Asia. If you island hop through out South East Asia, mingle with the locals, you will meet them. Don't take my words for it. The best way is to go there and see it for yourself.

I read somewhere a man named Colombus found a new world and claimed the land for his queen. And he brought civilization to the new world. I am confused. He stumbled upon somebodys' home, they welcome him with open heart, he slaughtered them, robbed, raped, killed and destroyed the civilization so that he can claim he find new world and claimed the land. Totally disregard their existence. Did he really find new land? What about the locals who had lived on the lands for centuries before he arrived??

Yes there are locals on the islands. Just because they were not written up in the western world history "record book" does not mean they did not exist. :D Next time you visit the islands in South East Asia, go out off the beaten path and mingle with the locals. You will be surprised, enriched and fancinated by the histories, cultural differences and hidden knowledges of the centuries old local customs. Again, don't take my word for it. Go experience that yourself! Cheers.

fishnchips:
the method use by local islanders(fishing hooks, spear gun).

hmm. not very "traditional" is it? You talk of centuries old local customs...

And these sea Gypsies in Burma have been known to use dynamite fishing.

Yes it's a timeless argument whch can go round in circles. An area has been declared a National Park, so kick all the "locals" out. But the people were there first...If they can live in harmony with nature, let them stay. If not, what is more important? Who decides the fate of islands, reefs and people.

And Thailand is not America, so talk of Cristobal Colon is hardly appropriate.

And I say again, the Similan Islands have no locals.

By the way fishnchips I agree with you in general.

Back
Top Bottom