Florida Diver Attacked

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No remorse simply because he chooses to exercise his liberty and do what he enjoys? Broaden your perspective, that is so narrow minded it is astounding.

Speedy recovery.
Just because there isn't a law expressly forbidding something does not mean that the something is a good idea. There's this whole concept of personal accountability that comes into play. I know the trend these days is to think that the lack of a law against something means it's totally a great idea...respectfully, I disagree.

It sounds like you are “pretty sure” about sharks, spearfishing and attacks. How did you gain your perspective on this topic?

Purely by reading the news. I am just struck by how often "shark attack" is accompanied by the word "spearfishing." Like I say, I am not against spearfishing, I am just struck by how often reported shark attacks involved spearfishing.

The most recent fatality I am aware of was the girl in the Bahamas, who was not Spearfishing.

I am not saying that every shark attack involves spearfishing (much less that spearfishing will inevitably lead to a shark attack) -- just that spearfishing activity seems to be present in a very disproportionately high percentage of shark attacks on divers. Am I wrong?

"Always swim in a group. Sharks attack lone divers."
Yeah, right. This was a shark feeding in Fiji. The diver needed six stitches to close the wound on the back of his head.

Purely by reading the news. I am just struck by how often "shark attack" is accompanied by the word "spearfishing." Like I say, I am not against spearfishing, I am just struck by how often reported shark attacks involved spearfishing.

Thanks, as for your idea that failing to surrender a fish when challenged is synonymous with provoking an attack, most spearfisherman will make a concerted effort to avoid allowing the shark to have a speared fish, primarily because it
reinforces a very dangerous and unwelcome behavior.

Alligators can and do learn. Training them to associate humans with food is bad for the animal and also people.

Same goes for sharks.

Of course, sometimes the tax man gets his quota, but spearfisherman try to avoid it if practical.

Just because there isn't a law expressly forbidding something does not mean that the something is a good idea. There's this whole concept of personal accountability that comes into play. I know the trend these days is to think that the lack of a law against something means it's totally a great idea...respectfully, I disagree.

You know exactly why the statement was made. I don't agree with what YOU choose to do, so I don't feel remorse if you are injured.

Personal accountability is something I fully support, but it doesn't remove the humanity in me to feel sympathy.

Yup. All risks associated with scuba diving - from DCS to shark attacks - are completely avoidable.
Most, but not all, are.

However, you don't have that much control at all over much that happens on the road - your life is far more threatened by other drivers on the road with you (like the many weaving idiots texting while driving I see too frequently) than it ever normally would be from other divers in the water near you!

Actually, most that I see in the news are surfers or folks just swiming/standing in shallow water - and many in FLA!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom