Florida Fossil Permit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually it wasn't as much the fault of "some divers." Artifacts collected in rivers are "unassociated" finds and, as such, are of minimal archeological value to the state. The collectors who collect from associated sites (e.g. Indian mounds, kill sites) destroy much if not all the knowledge to be learned by excavation of a given site and the relationship of artifacts to the strata of the site. There being no equitable way to allow avocational collecting in the one form and not the other led to the across the board prohibition.

The continued allowing of fossil collecting could easily be called political, as there are a lot of fossil collectors in Florida---and the exclusion of shark's teeth can be summed up in one word: Venice!! I am not speaking negatively here of the Florida permit program, other than to disagree with their exclusion of artifacts--at least from unassociated sites, such as the bottom of a river.

The program used to somewhat mirror the South Carolina program---I wish it still did!! I have a real problem with swimming over a projectile point, clay pipe, free blown bottle or any of the many other artifacts laying there just waiting for their slim, but real, chance of being destroyed by man or nature. Over the years I have come across a number of artifacts that have been damaged or even destroyed by a dropped anchor for instance.
FLRiverDiver

Artifacts and fossils not collected and documented are part of history that will be lost forever. Those that collect and share help to write the history. Passing laws to protect historical value without collection, that is a travesty. The Andrea Doria is collapsing and with all that it contains, if not for the divers that retrieved that collected it's bounty all would be lost. What a shame not to remember. Who will remember the Ironclad Monitor buried forever at the bottom of an ocean with nothing to touch but a picture in a book?

Did I miss the link to get a permit then?

Thanks!

Thanks CaptEsteban!

I like the vertebrate I discover, besides the sharks teeth, so I'll apply for the permit!

Very good read. Thanks people.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom