Flower Gardens with a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with virtually everything you've said. My first trip out was with about 30 dives, some of which were ocean and fairly deep. The Gulf was an eye-opener, though. The current was so heavy we scrubbed a dive, and the night dive was just too crazy to consider on that first trip. The trick is knowing when one is in over their heads and having the gumption to scrub a dive.
Hey, we're heading for the Fling in August. Come along!

Guba - thanks for the invite. Haven't scheduled the Fling yet; voucher is for a Th-Fr trip. Since we've already got the Spree booked for Labor day which usually happens, and my voucher is only good for this year, I was going to try for a date as early as July, so with weather and availability scrubs I still hopefully make it.

Will be sure to post on SB when I do book it, as I will be going down on this trip solo and would really, really prefer to find another diver going I can buddy with to talk to and get some familiarity with before the rush up the gangway for cabins. (Hey, another first for me - diving the ocean without a 'known' buddy.)

And you probably nailed my entire post in one short phrase - knowing when you're in over your head and having the gumption to scrub. I do go on, don't I? :)

I would suggest diving in the Panama City - Destin Area. We just got back from diving in that area with Scubatech of Northwest Florida. http://www.scubatechnwfl.com/
We met people on the dive boat who make the trek every year from Illinois. They drive it with and overnight stay on the way down and drive the entire trip back in one day. It is a beautiful beach and nice clear water. The water is very clear for the Gulf of Mexico and you won't have to go that far out to get good diving. We had about 40 feet visibility (of course FG and the Caribbean have much better visibility).

The water is a little cold right now, but warming up every day. I was fine in early May in a 3-mil farmer John and a 3-mil long sleeve shortie. Some people wore a hood, but I did not need one. At the surface the water was in the mid to upper 70's and at the 70 and 80 foot level is was 67 degrees. There are barges, wrecks and 5-foot reefs all above 90 feet. The state of Florida does not mandate that a DM get in the water with you. They will stay above board, but for about an additional $25 a person you can hire your own DM. Since you aren't familiar with the waters and your girlfriend is a newbie, I would suggest you hire one for at least your first day or 2 of diving.

We saw the largest Southern Sting Ray I have ever seen (more than the size of 2 1/2 adults) and a cobia that I thought was a reef shark. Cobia is in season there right now.

Feel free to PM me if you decide to go and I can share more about our trip (places to stay, eat, and visit, etc.). Enjoy your trip, wherever you go!

Wow what a thread...

Here's my 2 cents.

I dove the FG on my 3rd-4th diving occasion. Certification in the springs, Destin 6 pack dive then a local lake and finally the gardens. I was diving alone and got paired up with a really nice fellow, an experienced guy, possible former instructer or DM.

I felt comfortable and didn't have any troubles.

I echo those comments on the weather and time of year. I went in August about 2 weeks after coral spawning and it was very calm most of the time. Watch the local prevailing winds as a clue, as the spring and winter can be tough times to ride a crew boat.

I'm hoping to get a few dives in this summer in the destin area (springs & gulf) and possibly the FG again.

Good luck diving.

You guys are great. I think I am in a pretty similar situation as RTRski. I have done most of my diving in the Caribbean, and have done most of my dives “self navigated”. I have been on a 60’ boat for a week and done dives in pretty rough weather and strong currents, and a few at night. My 10th dive was over 100’ and my 16th was over 130’. From what you all have been saying I have no doubt that I would do great on a trip to the FG. That said, my girlfriend obviously has not had this experience and it looks like the FG are not the place to go.

I think that we will make our trip to the Panima City / Destin area. It seems like a good place to start her out without being to difficult and still some good diving.

bethbsting, if we decide for sure to go here I will send you a PM about how your trip went. I appreciate all of your help.

I agree with BSea! The Florida springs are VERY ideal for newbies. There is unlimited viz, water temp is the same year around and you can go to American Pro Dive Shop and they will hook you up with a DM to take you to the springs and lead you. I dont work for these guys, by the way, they are just great. I have taken four newbs to these springs(one was only 13ys old) and by the time we left, they were very confident and smooth divers. Its a very unique environment. Depths range from 10-100's of feet. You can lay on your back at 50', look up and see the leaves waving on the trees above. Most have plenty of fish, Devils den has three foot catfish you can feed. Ginnie Springs is a cavern dive that is considered safe even for those that are just OW certified. Most of the springs are about $40 a day to get into, unlimited dives. There are shops at most of them as well.
I take a trip to these springs every January, I pick them even over the Keys! If you havent dove the springs, DO IT!!!!!!!!
Ginnie Springs; Manattee Springs; Devils Den, Blue Grotto, Weekeewaki Springs, Kings Cavern are just a few to name. You can stay in the city of Ocala and hit all of these springs up in your week.

deg1:
Pass ports are not needed until Next year, they have pushed back the mandatory requirement again.
:confused: Huh? You have to have a passport for Cozumel or anywhere else outside of the US, I believe - been that way since January. What are you talking about?

This desire to take a brand new diver to a great experience for little time & money is common, but really fruitless. Passports, time, money, :pilot: flying are all needed for those of us who live other than at the prime diving sites to really enjoy this sport - in addition to good training and equipment preparations. Hope the north Florida trip is good, but I would have planned whatever it takes for the Keys or Cozumel.

I live but one 90 min flight from Houston, but still would not try the FGardens in May. Gets blown out too much, after booking air, car rental, overnight stay before flying home. I'm going for the first time in July.

South Padre could be an option. There are more options for someone with less expierence
That's a new one to me. Never heard of good diving there, and it's easy to get to...?

thanks!

Don't forget you can expidite a passport. The fastest is to go to the regional office in person. It costs more but it's posible.

yea they are sinking the Texas Clipper an A&M Traing ship this summer. There are also rigs and other wreckes that are not to far from shore. There are also a few good dive shops and they can set you up. It can be easy to get to they have flight on SW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom