Fort Wetherill, Jamestown, RI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A.D. Muriatic acid should really do the trick......does a heck of a job oh rusted iron....just wash and apply some oil.

I've used it for years. I've got a bronze step from a gangway off the Llewellyn Howland in the sidewalk of my home. Muriatic Acid did a great job on that and the sidewalk!

Last edited:
I've used it for years. I've got a bronze step from a gangway off the Llewellyn Howland in the sidewalk of my home. Muriatic Acid did a great job on that and the sidewalk!
While you have the acid out....take a new penny ..sand off the copper on the sides...drop it in the acid ..the zinc in the middle will dissolve ...leaving a thin front and back of copper penny....Kids love it! P.s. at least you use your hard worked for salvage.....I have a front end of a Model T I salvaged from a lake in N.H. sitting in the bushes of my back yard.....whop de do for all the work?

While you have the acid out....take a new penny ..sand off the copper on the sides...drop it in the acid ..the zinc in the middle will dissolve ...leaving a thin front and back of copper penny....Kids love it! P.s. at least you use your hard worked for salvage.....I have a front end of a Model T I salvaged from a lake in N.H. sitting in the bushes of my back yard.....whop de do for all the work?

A Model T?!? That was a lot of work! Make a planter out of it! :)

Did anybody dive today Saturday 28th? I'm thinking of diving Beavertail Sunday night. What conditions did you find if you dove?

Any recent reports on diving this season at Ft W?

I'm curious about the water temp. It's not really been a warm spring/summer thus far.

I'm curious about the water temp. It's not really been a warm spring/summer thus far.
Newport buoy shows water temp at 63*F, Conmicut Light at 66*F,

I use the Newport station as a reference. Showing around 61-62. New England Dive shop Wallingford CT hosting one of their picnics at the end of the month at Ft W. If the temps get a little higher I may head out there. Temp website: NDBC - Station NWPR1 I dove in Lake Q this morning and temps are 5-10 cooler than normal for this time of year.

All the reports I see on the other sites I visit are showing hi 50's low 60's. As the Gulf Stream moves west it'll get warmer at FTW and Newport, it'll still be cold at the North Shore of MA! I had 53F at 37fsw at Ft Adams east passage (across from FTW) 2 weeks ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom