Four European divers missing - Mersing, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Undersea Hunter don’t loan you PLB. They loan you a Nautilus Lifeline and later they replace it with Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS.

PLB sends 406 MHz signal straight up to the SAR satellites. Nautilus sends VHF radio signal to the boat DSC / AIS. Big difference!
That was nearly 20yrs ago.

I carry light, smb(with spool) and whistle on every dive and will add a mirror and a extra smb on LoB. But how many divers I had came across over last 25 yrs did the same?
Why would I need to carry a light for day dive is the most common question.
The line on the spool is very very useful.

As for PLB: I was loaned one on a trip to Cocos by the boat operator(Undersea Hunter).

Only once that one diver carried water and energy bar!
I always hv those mask-clip-on torch with single AA battery on me, a whistle that I never had to use and an SMB that I rarely deploy. I also dove with a camera with a video light. These guys were doing their AOW, probably not as equipped. I still think they all shld hv stayed in a group. I’m glad the 3 are safe, but it’s heart breaking that a life is lost.

I always hv those mask-clip-on torch with single AA battery on me, a whistle that I never had to use and an SMB that I rarely deploy. I also dove with a camera with a video light. These guys were doing their AOW, probably not as equipped. I still think they all shld hv stayed in a group. I’m glad the 3 are safe, but it’s heart breaking that a life is lost.
How difficult it is to stow light/smb/whistle on a bc. None of them is expensive and should be made as part of standard equipment by all diving agency.

Sad ending, may the young lad rest in peace, and I do hope the body is recovered for closure.

Carry a light on every dive you do, if not for safety reasons than for all the critters that live in crevices along the bottom.

Carry a light on every dive you do, if not for safety reasons than for all the critters that live in crevices along the bottom.
I always carry 2 lights and a 6 ft SMB and spool. I have a whistle tied to my inflator hose and carry a small signal mirror as well.

I’m heading to Fiji and Indonesia later this year and will also connect my Dive Alert air horn, and a buy a land carry a PLB in a cannister. I’ll add a strobe as well.

I have a newer Nautlius GPS that I’ll carry too. Interesting story on that one - it was a replacement for a Lifeline that was returned for service after a few years as it was not working. They claimed it had water damage from flooding - but I had never put it in the water (had bought it but never used it).

I do.

The more signaling devices you carry, the more options and backup devices to launch in case some fail.

Couldn't agree more, I keep a small lifejacket strobe( very bright), a small 4x4 space blanket and 12' of strong but light nylon line (to keep a group tied together) in there with my PLB. I frequently dive Neusa Penida, those currents rip through there and if you get to far off the reef and get swept past the end of the island....well the next stop is Australia.

buy a land carry a PLB in a cannister. I’ll add a strobe as well.
Most PLBs have a 24-hour strobe built in that is activated when you set off the alarm. Be sure your contact person on your registration knows your trip details.

Between trips, I keep mine in my car console, backpack, wherever I go.
will also connect my Dive Alert air horn
Have you ever test fired that horn? Duck your head underwater when you do.

Eight years ago, 7 divers were lost at sea around Bali, Indonesia. They stayed together & rescued, except for the DM who was trying to swim towards a boat and ended up lost at sea and her body found few days later on the next island of Java.

So, I vote for staying together.

Back
Top Bottom