FREE AIR FILLS @ LeisurePro.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ravi:
So, if you buy gear on the internet, please reply, and tell me what you got and why you didn't get it at your LDS.

i am just wondering...
:11:

Wow.. where to start..

Zeagle ranger LTD about $300.00 less than LDS
uwatec smart tec about $400.00 less than LDS (LDS had to order 3 weeks, LP 2 day)
Bare nxt gen about $400.00 less than LDS
Zeagle FH6 / ZX about $600.00 less than LDS (and new, LDS was in case for years)
Poseidon jetstream / oden about $300.00 less than LDS
SP split jetfin about $40.00 less than LDS
and about 100 other small items gages, transfer whip, reels, wetsuits, hardware, lift bags etc...

savings total enough to buy my own compressor when my LDS goes under.

all stuff was new in box, returns no problem, credits no problem. as well run an operation as LL bean, cabellas and lands end

Its not so much of the Money your saving going on the internet, its the money your contributing to the Dive Stores to stay open. I'm sure thig topic has been on the board over and over again, but its true. I help run a shop. so I know exactly how it is.

I hadn't realized until I read this thread that this was such a "religious" issue, i.e., it's been done before, everyone has an opinion, and some have strong opinions (are we sure LDS isn't Latter Day Saints? )

Both Ravi and Sharkbait94 raise good points. I think the value of these discussions is that everyone, and especially the new members (including myself in that I'd never read the "scripture" of LDS-vs-'Net before this iteration) get not only facts but FACTORS - after all the answer to a "what if...?" question is always "It depends." Not just What-should-I-do but what-should-I-consider-to-decide?

Just my 2 - hey! Where'd the dang "cents" key go? :D

ravi:
Mike, if you ever come out to Vegas and want to dive, i will buy you a cheese burger fries and a coke. the truth is every sales book ever written says that customer service is everyone’s business. and in business it is not evolve or die. you either set the market, follow the market, or make your own market. from what i read, the problem is not the evolution of local dive shops, the problem is that your dive shops seem to either lack fairness or good customer service. I should be hitting Dutch springs in august or September (with my dry suit), do you want to dive the chopper?
I'm holding you to that^ I would like to dive Dutch springs but a trip out that far for me (since you know the area where I’m from) PA is a little far from Fair haven just to for a dive when I’m still making pee-pee in my suit over all the great sights right in the waters of Belmar, Avon, Point Pleasant and so on. As for the other part of the quote making, setting or make your own market, right now we are feeling the brunt of that same quote. The paintball industry pretty much set a mat price for everything that we sell saying we can't sell for less then this price, so not to cut anyone else’s throat. While in the same sense you or any one can go to sport author, dicks ect. ect and buy a tippman for 120.00 and a case of paint for 42.00 while we have to sell the marker for 199.99 and a case of paint for 80.00. So as a shopper where are people going to buy from?.......... of course the big chain store but mean while we are drowning in the waters of big markets. Yes the big chain market don't give all the perks that one would get from buying from a paintball store/field but they do it any way (buy the big chain products) and I can't do thing one about. Just like a lot of people involved with scuba, if the industry opened up a little and let online sales go. Now in the same sense I'm a hypocrite with the fact that I will buy my life support products from Dossals in Middletown or Divers Two in Avon (FREE little plug for my dive shops) but buy my disposable gear from online strictly because its just that disposable. Really I could care less about who buys what where, I just let it get under my skin when people on the board just attack a person for buying online or asking about LP. The board is not supposed to be media for people to just berate some one for asking a question. I have been on SB for some time now not long but long enough to get tired of seeing the same questions but that’s a board forum. Its not every one but there are people who like to just throw a jab at a rookie and make them feel inept for asking a question, I was always told that scuba divers are the some of the nicest people one will meet, always willing to help a green fin out and that’s true I have talked/typed to some very nice and knowledgeable people who have been do this for a long time and then I have talked to people who think they are *censored* gift to the world and could not be bothered to help a green fin out and that’s a shame, every one has something to teach some one else for good, bad, or indifferent but bring up online sales and that’s taboo and you’re an outcast it seems. I really never wanted to get into it about this my emotions kind of got me involved when some one chants support your local dive shop or we wont have anywhere to get fills when all I should have said really was supply and demand demand for air = a shop of some sort. Now going on to the other other quote I will never blatantly make my self out to be some superior diver, If I did then I’m at fault cause I’m like a newborn calf with wobbly legs trying to figure it all out quick. I do take pride that I’m not a clear water diver only and have to have some sort of skill to diver in vis of 3-8 feet on average, not that I would not like to dive clear water and wear a 4 mm wet suit instead of a 7mm full. But any way I’m still learning the way of the bubble and for some inept reason Dutch Springs gives me the willies. I would like to drop 60 feet on more dives, once I’m more comfortable in my get up.

SHARKBAIT94:
Let that argument die all ready. If a dive shop goes under because they are that inept to see the consumers today are not willing to just throw their money out the window for a hobby then shame on them. The economy is in horrible shape and people will look for the best deal even in a booming economy. To sit their and say that I support my lds only and because I don’t want then to go out of business and I won’t be able to get air fills is nice but naive at best. If you lds is strictly a walk in and can make enough money to support the shop and his home life then that’s great. But the fact remains the same business is business and it’s constantly changing. A business owner scuba or different doesn’t evolve with the public I.E internet sales then they are cutting their own throat and eventually they may go under like ever one else who “refuses” to follow the public demand or charges more then other lds. Now to sit hear and say that every lds will go out of business is also naive based on that people even the internet shoppers will go a local business because they need what ever now not in a couple of days and because the local shop keeper will try and match a price or give perks to buy from them instead of the internet, if they don’t well it’s almost a safe bet to say they may go belly up too them. Much like the lds vs. internet sales and if my lds goes under were will I get my fills argument, that die already . The internet is here to stay evolve with society or die.

I was not talking about where I am going to buy my equipment. My question was sincerely, how can I fill my tank? Without driving 1 hour each way to a differnet LDS. How do I fill my tanks with no LDS. Sharkbait, do you fill your tanks at home?

Buy a compressor. Build your own blending system.

SERIOUSLY!!!

I can't wait till the day that I don't need to rely on an LDS for fills. I'm sick of getting screwed!

I drop off (2) 119s both with 32% and both with about 2000psi in them. I want them filled with 32%. When I pick them up I get charged the full price for 2 fills!

Same shop, drop off a 30 on a Saturday afternoon. I need it VIP'd, O2 cleaned, and filled. My next dive isn't until the following Saturday. Show up Friday night and my tank isn't ready. I understand that they're busy, but I could have used the tank and put it off for another week, if they hadn't drained the damn thing in the begining of the week, just for it to sit there all week, and have no one even look at it.

Pick up my doubles, first time getting them filled. They make me take the stupid F#%#%# Nitrox bands.

That's a whole different argument, that's been beaten to death on this board, but let me at least say this much. Even if you do believe the liability BS, and it's not about selling me a useless $8 sticker, what newbie is going to accidentally pick up a set of steal doubles!!!

They already filled my tanks, I already analized them, and then they say I can't leave without the stickers, and to make it worse this a-hole working there makes me actually put them on before I leave. won't even let me just buy the stupid sticker!

Then another shop, doubles half filled, charges me full price, because he needs to drain them to fill them!!! What is it with most NJ shops being too lazy to do the damn math for a Nitrox fill, just so they can charge me full price for a tank that's nearly full?

As I said before, there is one shop in NJ that I really like, but they're kind of a hike, especially for fills.

I have been diving over 30 years and have purchased Scuba gear thru many channels. (1) Local Shops ..... if you find a good one then use them. A good shop should work with you on price and provide service before and after the sale. I purchased a new computer from my LDS in June and he spent over an hour with me making sure I knew how to operate it correctly. The computer listed for $799.00 and several internet retailers sold it for $629.00 .... I paid $699.00 for it and it was well worth the extra few dollars to have the guy expaining how to use it. I also have seen the shop owner loan out regulators for his "loyal" customers when theirs are being serviced. I did recently purchase a Voit regulator thru EBay (I collect old "vintage" gear) and my LDS didn't have a problem in rebuilding it for me. (2) Internet shops like ScubaToys and others are a good source for a large selection of brands at excellent prices. Many small LDS just don't carry what you want to buy. My local shop is not a Scubapro dealer so when I wanted some Scubapro stuff I when looking on the net. Purchased from Leisurepro knowing I will not get the same warranty as if I had purchased it thru a local shop (no shop in my area sell Scubapro at this time). I have also purchased merchandise from both ScubaToys and JoeDiver. Both tranactions went well and received my merchandise without any problems. (3) Ebay ..... WOW ... here's where you can really get into trouble. So many things can go wrong ... 1st. you really don't know what shape the stuff is in especialy if you are purchasing "used" stuff. A lot of equipment is old and outdated or no longer having parts being made for it (DACOR). I have had several good purchases thur Ebay but also have had the wrong merchandise shipped, not as described in ad, and twice the stuff was not received at all and had to go thru my PayPal Visa to get a refund. When ordering thru Ebay you are rolling the dice and hope it doesn't come up "craps".

ScubaMarc:
I was not talking about where I am going to buy my equipment. My question was sincerely, how can I fill my tank? Without driving 1 hour each way to a differnet LDS. How do I fill my tanks with no LDS. Sharkbait, do you fill your tanks at home?
No not at home if time permits i go to my lds, most of the time i fill them at my firehouse. We have a dive team so yes the air is better for me as a fireman cause it meets scuba grade air regs.

grunzster:
Buy a compressor. Build your own blending system.

SERIOUSLY!!!

I can't wait till the day that I don't need to rely on an LDS for fills. I'm sick of getting screwed!

I drop off (2) 119s both with 32% and both with about 2000psi in them. I want them filled with 32%. When I pick them up I get charged the full price for 2 fills!

Same shop, drop off a 30 on a Saturday afternoon. I need it VIP'd, O2 cleaned, and filled. My next dive isn't until the following Saturday. Show up Friday night and my tank isn't ready. I understand that they're busy, but I could have used the tank and put it off for another week, if they hadn't drained the damn thing in the begining of the week, just for it to sit there all week, and have no one even look at it.

Pick up my doubles, first time getting them filled. They make me take the stupid F#%#%# Nitrox bands.

That's a whole different argument, that's been beaten to death on this board, but let me at least say this much. Even if you do believe the liability BS, and it's not about selling me a useless $8 sticker, what newbie is going to accidentally pick up a set of steal doubles!!!

They already filled my tanks, I already analized them, and then they say I can't leave without the stickers, and to make it worse this a-hole working there makes me actually put them on before I leave. won't even let me just buy the stupid sticker!

Then another shop, doubles half filled, charges me full price, because he needs to drain them to fill them!!! What is it with most NJ shops being too lazy to do the damn math for a Nitrox fill, just so they can charge me full price for a tank that's nearly full?

As I said before, there is one shop in NJ that I really like, but they're kind of a hike, especially for fills.
All right,
I swear i am not trying to pick a fight...BUT
Well, first it sounds like i wouldn't shop there about the EAN Decals. Personally if they said I had to buy them I would ask how they could fill them without me having those labels on. I mean some newbie, in the shop could steel them and get ox tox :p Or i'd say i don't want them and you can have your nitrox back!

Seriously though...kinda, how much should they charge you if they don't have a per cu ft fill plan?

I don't know about the shop you have, but here:
figure a pair of oms LP 119's, double dins, iso valve, bands, boots, and the air in them, maybe they weigh 100 lbs, just guessing.
we have to lift them up, bring them over to get analyzed, put the FO2 and PSI into the computer, take the doubles to the cascade, bring them over to the fill station to top them off, analyze them, put them some where till you come to pick them up, bring it over for you to analyze it yourself, and then carry them out for you. so, because you are just having them "topped off" the shop shouldn't charge the price of to EAN fills. Again, i am not trying to piss you off, just tell you what your shop might have to go through to fill tanks.

did you tell them when you needed the pony tank by?

I had a customer scream at me a few weeks ago because the camera he ordered was not in before his trip. i said i was sorry (i wasn't), but i told him that, to be honest, i think if he wanted his camera by a certain date, telling that to someone at the shop might have helped him.

again, i don't know what you said to them, or your shop. In jersey i know i don't like the guy at divers two, because any time you ask him for something that he does not carry, he tells you why it is crap... yea, and porsche and ferrarri's suck because i drive a vw to work everyday!

ravi:
All right,
In jersey i know i don't like the guy at divers two, because any time you ask him for something that he does not carry, he tells you why it is crap... yea, and porsche and ferrarri's suck because i drive a vw to work everyday!
:lol3:HAHAHAHA You could only be talking about Joe. In all fairness Joe has been a great help for me and my fiance getting all our gear set up. Being on the fire company D2 services the dive teams gear, he gave us a good deal on the gear we bought from D2. He was right about my chute 3 when i wanted to trade that in for my black diamond But i damn near fell on the floor with the porsche and ferrarri's suck because i drive a vw to work everyday quote. Man is that funny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom