FREE AIR FILLS @ LeisurePro.com

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ravi:
well, like 14.7psi when you buy a tank their!

i was reading the great insight on some one's post about buying gear. i see a lot of divers out here, on this sight, and i read a lot of people are buying gear on the internet. WOW!

So, if you buy gear on the internet, please reply, and tell me what you got and why you didn't get it at your LDS.

i am just wondering...
:11:
Zeagle Ranger
Genesis GS2000
Zeagle Octo+
Dacor Darwin
Various other components all form scubatoys.com

The reason I didnt go to my local dive shop was because they all are overpriced. I know they can provide you with valuable knowledge, but most of it I could easily find on my own. Besides scubatoys is an accual dive shop with knowledgeable staff, they just arn't local.

I don't support my LDS...

...BECAUSE THEY SUCK!

They don't know the meaning of "customer service."

As I was on vacationa and missed the early posting...

Mask, snorkel, reason... Didn't want to drive 2 hours tothe LDS if I didn't have to.

OMS wings and harness, reason... no dealer in the state

I will never buy anything from Leisure Pro again. I bought two Oceanic computers -- Versa Pros -- and they both flooded on the first dive -- that's when I found out LP was not factory authorized to sell Oceanic equipment. I've been told they sell returns and reconditioned as new, but I don't know that for a fact.

Doc Harry:
I don't support my LDS...

...BECAUSE THEY SUCK!

They don't know the meaning of "customer service."

This is a very good reason. I support my LDS because the owner seems to provide me with good service in exchange for my money. Thats an honest deal and I respect that. And, while he is a little more expensive than the chain stores or internet sometimes, he is usually pretty competitive.

He is, however, the second closest LDS to my house. I cant even walk into the closest store without the owner bad mouthing every other stores equipment and training, and how every piece of equipment the other store sells is junk (except of course the equipment brands that he happens to sell also). He turned me off as a customer the first time I dealt with him. I wont even go there for airfills.

ravi:
well, like 14.7psi when you buy a tank their!

i was reading the great insight on some one's post about buying gear. i see a lot of divers out here, on this sight, and i read a lot of people are buying gear on the internet. WOW!

So, if you buy gear on the internet, please reply, and tell me what you got and why you didn't get it at your LDS.

i am just wondering...
:11:

Oh no the LeisurePro debate!!!!

ravi:
SharkBait,
I started this post, actually i just wanted to see where most people lined up on the internet vs LDS argument. I work in a shop that understands that the internet is cheaper. we try, with the understanding of our shop providing a bit more than the stuff that is dive gear and a price, to be competeative most of the time. so i think we might be an exception. I personally am not afraid of LP and others. There are some things they sell that you can't beat on prices, I have been to their sites. I think in a large part they handle an other than lds customer, the one who will buy a ScubaPro Reg that will normally carry a lifetime warranty, free parts for life, and be bench tested in a local facility by an authorized tech, and save some coin for none of these services and get a boxed reg with an LP warranty by mail. and really, that is ok. I don't believe that you should throw money out the window, or shop in your lds to keep their doors open and the lights on. I feel bad for you if your lds is opperating in that way, it does nothing to further this great sport. i think we are pretty receptive when one of our customers comes in and tells us what they can get it for on the net. we make sure the customer understands what they are and are not getting from the mail order company, and then we try to do what we can to make the customer happy. sometimes that is to tell them to get it online. i know most shops here in town are that way. but i can not speak for them.

Something you said kind of scares me though. that despite the economy people want the best deal. if it is only price you are refferring to, you are wrong.
some people buy hardware from the local mom and pop hardware store, even though they can go to home depot for less. they like the owner, they know him, they have beers with him and invite him to parties. they like that the owner knows where you live, how long you have shopped with him, and a little about you. and people pay extra for it. they would rather shop and joe's or bobs hardware than chase some "expert" in an orange apron around the huge ware house. some people pay more for a nice family atmosphere , with an actual family that owns and staffs a restaurant instead of going to Olive garden where the food is cheaper. some people pay more for sal's than pizza hut, some people pay more to order a new book from the mom and pop shop instead of getting it for 20%off at the B&N staffed buy some kids who have not read, or heard of hemingway, but know all 99 flavored syrups you can get in you venti non fat half cap macciato. There is a very expensive canon camera shop here in town. I wanted an underwater housing for my camera and they had it. I had never talked to anyone there. i went in once, years ago to check out the digital rebel. the man at the counter went on and on about his new one and showed me some pictures he printed out. I said thanks, got a catalog, and left. When i went in to inquire about the housing, he told me how much. it was more than 150 bucs over the internet price. i told him that. he went to look it up in the catalog. while i wated, his wife, a very nice old lady told me that they carry the housings but not a lot of people ask about them. we talked about diving for a bit and he came back and told me he could not match that price. i turned to leave and his wife stopped me, she said they could take 50 bucs off. she was nice, and seamed pretty interested in my underwater photo hobby. i got one, for 100 more than the J&R online price. i dove a few days before my trip to the caverns and springs of central florida, and the housing flooded. i took it to the shop. they not only replaced the housing, but they also opened up my camera, cleaned it with some solution, dried it, and tested it out before giving it back to me. he remembered my name, and asked me if i had a dog. yes, a german shepherd, i told him. he told me to watch the dog hair on the o ring, and told me to bring in my shots after vacation. i don't know that the internet scuba clearing house would have done that for me. tomorrow night i am diving with a customer who bought some gear from us. he wants to try it out, and who better to try it with him than an instructor who owns the same stuff, and sells it ever day. now maybe this guy is just a huge idiot because he could have saved some money and just tried it out on his own, and all that matters is the price, and business is business, and evolve or die. in fact, i disagree, so i am an idiot too. see it is not about business, and the bottom line. i became a diver, an instructor, and a salesman in an LDS because to me, it is about diving. tomorrow, or any day, any of you are welcome to come diving with me...unless you are busy, diving with liesure pro...

Your splitting hairs and looking at the picture on a personal level I.E mom and pop shops. Just look at the board alone, people are saying it all the time I buy on line and at my lds. I “support” my local dive SHOPS, I believe in sharing the pie between all both of my lds for certain items and I will buy off the internet for other certain products. To say that people will shop for the best deal only is wrong and if my posted came off sounding like that then I apologize. I have customers all the time come in and by paintball equipment from me even though the price is a little more then online they like that fact that ever paintball gun can be fixed and maintained by us with out voiding the warranty and the fact that we know them by name and what goes on in their personal life, and we have people say we can get it cheaper at so in so .com but would like us to work repair maintain their equipment and that fine we don’t charge more because they bought from so in so .com. It would be asinine to say that no one like the personal treatment and conversations at so in so dive shop but I highly doubt that any one likes to spend a 35% mark up on any no life support piece of equipment because they are friendly with Joe blow at______ dive shop. When ever are returning customer comes back over and over again yeah of course we throw them a bone for being a returning customer. No matter where you stand on this subject their will always be three side online lds and where ever I can get the best deal. Now to your customer who bought scuba gear from you, well you better believe if I buy gear from you and have no clue what or how to use it I expect the shop owner to go over it in detail and if not then no sale, that’s the service I expect for that in house mark up. If I buy from a lds and pay that mark up I expect a certain amount of time to go over the product and I have never had a lds not give that kind of service and that’s the reason why I shop my lds also. Personally I could care less whether you shop lds or internet or a salesman for a lds business is business and if you want to stay in business then you have no choice but to evolve or die. I’m not going to argue if you’re an idiot because you “care” that just juvenile. In business you evolve to make money, customer service is totally different. Any time you want to dive I’m always will to dive next time your in new jersey pm and I’ll be more then happy to dive with you. All though I don’t think you need to resort to the immature comments of “unless your busy diving with lp“, that’s really immature and unbecoming of a highly trained person such as your self.

I buy everywhere!

LDS (both local and ones that just happen to be a thousands of miles away, LP, used (from local guys, on ebay, and on this board).

I try to support the local guys and if their price is close I'll usually go with them, but sometimes those internet prices are so low, that even without the warranty, it wouldn't cost much more than the LDS price to just rebuy the same piece of gear from the interent, if it breaks.

Also, one of my favorite LDS. They'll usually try to work with you on the price and they are rally cool guys, just happen to be about 45min away, which is a PITA. If they were closer I'd use them a lot more often.

It really depends on the manufacturer, the specific piece of gear, when I need it by, etc.

As far as repairs, I plan to eventually learn to work on all my own gear myself.

The same goes for air fills. Not just because of the cost but mainly for convenience.

I actually thought the comment about diving with LP was pretty funny, though! I live just a few miles from NYC and have actually been in the store a few times.

SHARKBAIT94:
Your splitting hairs and looking at the picture on a personal level I.E mom and pop shops. Just look at the board alone, people are saying it all the time I buy on line and at my lds. I “support” my local dive SHOPS, I believe in sharing the pie between all both of my lds for certain items and I will buy off the internet for other certain products. To say that people will shop for the best deal only is wrong and if my posted came off sounding like that then I apologize. I have customers all the time come in and by paintball equipment from me even though the price is a little more then online they like that fact that ever paintball gun can be fixed and maintained by us with out voiding the warranty and the fact that we know them by name and what goes on in their personal life, and we have people say we can get it cheaper at so in so .com but would like us to work repair maintain their equipment and that fine we don’t charge more because they bought from so in so .com. It would be asinine to say that no one like the personal treatment and conversations at so in so dive shop but I highly doubt that any one likes to spend a 35% mark up on any no life support piece of equipment because they are friendly with Joe blow at______ dive shop. When ever are returning customer comes back over and over again yeah of course we throw them a bone for being a returning customer. No matter where you stand on this subject their will always be three side online lds and where ever I can get the best deal. Now to your customer who bought scuba gear from you, well you better believe if I buy gear from you and have no clue what or how to use it I expect the shop owner to go over it in detail and if not then no sale, that’s the service I expect for that in house mark up. If I buy from a lds and pay that mark up I expect a certain amount of time to go over the product and I have never had a lds not give that kind of service and that’s the reason why I shop my lds also. Personally I could care less whether you shop lds or internet or a salesman for a lds business is business and if you want to stay in business then you have no choice but to evolve or die. I’m not going to argue if you’re an idiot because you “care” that just juvenile. In business you evolve to make money, customer service is totally different. Any time you want to dive I’m always will to dive next time your in new jersey pm and I’ll be more then happy to dive with you. All though I don’t think you need to resort to the immature comments of “unless your busy diving with lp“, that’s really immature and unbecoming of a highly trained person such as your self.
Mike, I appologize if i come off immature or unbecoming. i was actually trying to be funny, but, admitedly, sometimes i fail. i think customer service is the most overlooked and yet key part of a sale, and that comes from a former car salesman and not a person in an lds. i also assumed, and still do, that the dive shops in your area are making a lot more profits than the ones in mine. to be honest, the few shops i have been to in jersey (my mom still lives in the garden state), well, they are either combo ski/scuba shops or crappy dive shops. i have not been to any outside of ocean and monmouth county. a friend dives out of brooklyn and their prices are insanely high. the two closest to dutch springs seem like they are run by people no in the business of diving, but in the hobby of it (one guy told me he'd fill my 95's with EAN36 if i left it with him for two days (two normal, store open days)...to partial pressure fill 2 st95's to 2640...SURE

when i sold chevys in south brunswick we had to sell everything before we sold the car
sell yourself, sell the dealership, sell the service department, sell your staff, sell chevrolet, then show them the car they want.
that means customer service + customer service + customer service + having what they want = sale.

there is a burger joint out here called in and out burger. it takes forever because they start to grill your burger after you pay for it and tell them how you want it. they have only hamburgers, cheese burgers, fries and sodas. that is how McDonalds started. in my life they have made ribs, fried shrimp, pizza, soup, veggie burgers, burritos, chicken sandwiches, nuggets, fingers, eggs, pancakes, english muffin sandwiches, biscuit sandwiches, coissant sandwiches (i spelled that wrong), weird little pancake sandwiches, breakfast burritos, bagel sandwiches, omlett sandwiches, fires, salads, ice cream and i am probably missing a couple thousand items. and mcdonalds is doing great. billions and billions served i think i read somewhere. but in and out burger has not died. theya re doing pretty good, without soup and pizza, without comercials, and clowns, and limited time only rib shaped pork sandwiches. they have hamburger, cheese burger, fries and drinks and they are all very good. you know what else they have, weather it is 30 degrees out or 130, they have a line. if you ever come out to vegas and want to dive, i will buy you a cheese burger fries and a coke. the truth is every sales book ever written says that customer service is everyones business. and in business it is not evolve or die. you either set the market, follow the market, or make your own market. from what i read, the problem is not the evolution of local dive shops, the problem is that your dive shops seem to either lack fairness or good customer service. i should be hitting dutch springs in august or september (with my drysuit), do you want to dive the chopper?

ScubaMarc:
For $3000, maybe I will get a bike pump. :eyebrow:

Actually I'll bet I've saved about $3,000.00 at LP over the last few years....

so... the compressor is free... and I don't have to drive 45 min roundtrip so my LDS can hot fill (read that underfill) my HP 120's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom