Full-footed fin recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the things that makes the Apollo full foot fins so good is the compound of natural rubber they use, or at least used on the pairs that I have. They will not irritate or blister the back of your heel. The rubber is incredibly silky. The various plastic materials used in most fins can be brutal on your feet. The Appllos are softer and smoother inside than any dive sock. It's not an exaggeration to describe the feel of them on your feet as pleasurable. A good full foot fin is also more efficient; that's why free divers use them. I agree that the reality walking across rough terrain limits their usefulness.

One of the things that makes the Apollo full foot fins so good is the compound of natural rubber they use, or at least used on the pairs that I have. They will not irritate or blister the back of your heel. The rubber is incredibly silky. The various plastic materials used in most fins can be brutal on your feet. The Appllos are softer and smoother inside than any dive sock. It's not an exaggeration to describe the feel of them on your feet as pleasurable. A good full foot fin is also more efficient; that's why free divers use them. I agree that the reality walking across rough terrain limits their usefulness.

Totally agree that Apollo full-foots (now Gull Bio Fins Uni) are among the most comfortable fins that I've ever worn. The natural rubber from which they are made is vastly superior to the "thermoplastic elastomer" (TPE) used to make the foot pockets of many modern full-foot plastic-bladed fins. TPE may be easier, therefore cheaper, to process than natural rubber, but unlike comfortable natural rubber which moulds and flexes in conformity to feet, it is a sterile, dead material requiring plastic formers to stay in shape. It really annoys me that retailers here in the UK only stock these shoddy plastic-bladed full-foot fins with TPE foot pockets while other countries, notably the USA, give consumers a genuine choice when it comes to fin materials.

Just want to add that Apollo full-foots were designed to be worn with socks or boots rather than barefoot. Two sets of shoe sizes are embossed on the fins: the size for barefoot use and the size for booted use. It's a popular myth that full-foot fins cannot be worn with socks or boots.

Totally agree that Apollo full-foots (now Gull Bio Fins Uni) are among the most comfortable fins that I've ever worn. The natural rubber from which they are made is vastly superior to the "thermoplastic elastomer" (TPE) used to make the foot pockets of many modern full-foot plastic-bladed fins. TPE may be easier, therefore cheaper, to process than natural rubber, but unlike comfortable natural rubber which moulds and flexes in conformity to feet, it is a sterile, dead material requiring plastic formers to stay in shape. It really annoys me that retailers here in the UK only stock these shoddy plastic-bladed full-foot fins with TPE foot pockets while other countries, notably the USA, give consumers a genuine choice when it comes to fin materials.

Just want to add that Apollo full-foots were designed to be worn with socks or boots rather than barefoot. Two sets of shoe sizes are embossed on the fins: the size for barefoot use and the size for booted use. It's a popular myth that full-foot fins cannot be worn with socks or boots.

There are indeed two shoe sizes listed on the Apollo, suggesting not so much "that they were designed to be worn with socks or boots" as that they may be worn with or without boots. Much depends on foot size. My 13 EE shoe size prevents me from wearing even the largest size Apollo with the lightest boots. Thin lycra socks, sure, but I don't need them, except to facilitate sliding into neoprene suits. When using Apollos I take the socks off to revel in the wonderful feel of these incomparable fins. Analogies come to mind, but this is a family board.

This is a little of topic as the OP asked for a split fin recommendation, however I thoroughly endorse Mares Quattro Excel. In storage I haven't noticed any distortion of the foot pocket but I'm not sure what its made of. ZzzKing I have tried Superchannels but didn't like them at all - that soft bit in the middle slapped back and forth disconcertingly with every stroke.

Sorry, I didn't read the split fin part. I don't really notice the effect you're describing regarding the slap back but probably 95% of my finning is frog kicking. It may not be as noticeable doing that. I also heard very good things about the Quattro Excels when I got the superchannels but I found the superchannels first and I was leaving on a trip a few days later so I went ahead and got them. I'm a happy customer so far. I've had them about 2 years and like them a lot for travel.

I love my Apollo Uni. I wish they still made them. Somewhere I saw the Atomic spits for $45 the past month. The foot pockets on the Apollo Uni are sized larger for use with a neoprene sock or a lightweight bootie. I wear 12EEEE Nikes and use 4mm socks or lightweight 5mm Tekna booties with the XL Uni fins. I use the booties when walking on shell beaches or if there are a lot of twigs along the trail. For hiking, I wear tennis shoes or hiking boots and leave them in a plastic bag on the shore with a note, so no one takes them.

I love my Apollo Uni. I wish they still made them.

Full-foot Unis are still made, by Japanese diving equipment manufacturer Gull, which took over their production and marketing from Apollo. See:

GULL-bio-fin uni - Marinetone Scuba Diving Gears

Marinetone is a Hong Kong-based online diving gear retailer that is prepared to dispatch goods to western countries. They stock Bio Unis in black, blue, yellow, pink and white. I live in the UK and have ordered goods from the firm that arrived three days after submitting the order. Few British online retailers match that delivery speed.

Back
Top Bottom