Fundies kicked my a$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have to taste Limberger cheese to know I don't like it.

You don't? That is interesting.

You make a world of assumptions, have zero exposure to it yet you know with 100% confidence everything there is to be able to educate the new divers on how terribly unsafe it is. Ken Jennings you are not.

Watch it mossman, the HELL'S ANGLES are divers also. Plus JAX is not going to take to kindly to that statement either.

Happy Diving

You don't? That is interesting.

You make a world of assumptions, have zero exposure to it yet you know with 100% confidence everything there is to be able to educate the new divers on how terribly unsafe it is. Ken Jennings you are not.
How did you confuse my claims that it's overkill safe to mean that I think it's terribly unsafe.

To make it clear: I think DIR is very safe, it's just useless overkill for recreational diving.

And to the other poster who thought Hogarthian rigs weren't popular until DIR came along, please understand that they are very popular among non-DIR tech/cave divers. DIR refined and standardized the rig for tech/cave divers, then made money trying to convince recreational divers that they needed to dress the same way in order to "be safe" and have "fun".

Watch it mossman, the HELL'S ANGLES are divers also. Plus JAX is not going to take to kindly to that statement either.
I doubt Hells Angels either dive or drive DIR and I don't know or care who or what a JAX is.

I think the reason why DIR annoys most people is because people who don't truly understand it go around trying to explain it.

Do you really think people find themselves repelled by DIR after reading someone like Mossman's comments on it? I find it a little bit like listening to an atheist putting down Catholics. After listening to it, my sympathies lie with the Catholics instead.

I think what repels people is someone insisting that they only dive DIR even when instructing an OW class or categorically putting down equipment like split fins. Hey, maybe the split fin user has knee problems. That kind of thing puts people off.

DIR refined and standardized the rig for tech/cave divers, then made money trying to convince recreational divers that they needed to dress the same way in order to "be safe" and have "fun".

Obviously you are pulling stuff out of your arse or you have been exposed to some VERY extreme DIR divers (of which there are fewer of these days).

Do you really think people find themselves repelled by DIR after reading someone like Mossman's comments on it? I find it a little bit like listening to an atheist putting down Catholics. After listening to it, my sympathies lie with the Catholics instead.

I think what repels people is someone insisting that they only dive DIR even when instructing an OW class or categorically putting down equipment like split fins. Hey, maybe the split fin user has knee problems. That kind of thing puts people off.

I think people are repelled by what they think DIR is (without ever bothering to find out) and assuming those people putting down split fins are automatically DIR. Most often, the people who are actually doing so don't have much more understanding of it than Mossman does.

Here's a clue: If you want to dive split fins in an OW environment, I seriously doubt most DIR people would care. It's only going to become an issue if you try to dive with them in conditions where it's not appropriate.

Obviously you are pulling stuff out of your arse or you have been exposed to some VERY extreme DIR divers (of which there are fewer of these days).
Obviously I'm not pulling stuff out of my arse, so draw your own conclusions.

I think people are repelled by what they think DIR is (without ever bothering to find out) and assuming those people putting down split fins are automatically DIR. Most often, the people who are actually doing so don't have much more understanding of it than Mossman does.

Here's a clue: If you want to dive split fins in an OW environment, I seriously doubt most DIR people would care. It's only going to become an issue if you try to dive with them in conditions where it's not appropriate.
If they don't care, they're not really DIR. I apparently have a much better understanding of DIR than anyone here.

DIR is a holistic dive philosophy that claims that its practitioners are safer than non-DIR divers. Diving DIR is a dedicated venture and very few divers meet the specifications. Divers that approach DIR standards but don't follow through are merely applying Hogarthian tech configurations, usually where they aren't warranted. There's really very little application for DIR in recreational diving which is why I mock the concept. Tech diving is a different story. I do believe the DIR system is probably the safest for cave exploration, perhaps wrecks as well with certain caveats. For most open-water diving, however, DIR is major overkill.

I've edited this several times. I did come up with quite a long post attempting to help you understand that what you believe is simply untrue, but then I realised that I'd be wasting my time. You've made up your mind, and you're clearly not about to let little things like "facts", "truth" or "the real world" get in the way of your passionately held beliefs. Given your "it's a cult" argument, I think my irony gland just exploded.

This is a genuine shame, as people might read this thread and actually believe some of the poison you are spouting. If you have no interest in GUE or DIR, then where does the passion for spreading mistruths about it come from. Why not just giggle at our innocence / naivete and move on. Meanwhile we'll keep happily recreational diving DIR, which seems to work just fine once you're not on the internet.

I do wear my seatbelt on the freeway, but I often don't on residential streets.

WOW! Thanks for the explanation. I get it now.

Personally I am not comfortable getting into a car without a seat belt. Just like I am not comfortable diving without the long hose where I expect it.

What is the statistic, most accidents happen within 2 miles of home or something. Happened to me within 1 mile, almost totaling my car with $14,000 in damage. Glad I had my long hose on...errr seat belt.

Mossman, you really are a one man show entertaining others. If you notice in most threads on this board, there are multiple people on each side, in this case though, you are on your own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom