Fusion socks leaking - multiple reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Zef! Sounds like the L/XL aircore should work for my size. I can start out with an XL sport skin that will work with lighter undergarments for relatively warmer water. Maybe a 2XL tech or bullet skin for the colder temps and more layers.

I have the 2xl/3xl fusion bullet with a 2xl/3xl thermal fusion undergarment.

The only thing I don't like about my setup is that the the undergarment and the neoprene outer skin feel too long/saggy in the crotch area. I have roughly a 32 inch inseam. It is worse when the neoprene skin is wet as it feels like it sags. If I needed to replace my skin I would buy the L/XL version. I have only used my thermal fusion a couple of times because I find it just too warm unless the water temp is 3c or below.

-Z

Thanks Zef! Sounds like the L/XL aircore should work for my size. I can start out with an XL sport skin that will work with lighter undergarments for relatively warmer water. Maybe a 2XL tech or bullet skin for the colder temps and more layers.
There is zero reason to put a larger size skin on a smaller size shell.
When I stand up nice and straight (6'1" tall) in my L/X, it is the limits of the shell I am feeling in the tightness from shoulder to heel, not the limits of the skin. The skins stretch, the shells do not.
Also, changing skins is not as simple as changing your jacket before you go out. It is a bit of a project, so don't plan to be swapping back and forth. If you think you will ever need the room in the 2XL/3XL, then get that shell. A smaller skin can hug it closer to your body, but a smaller shell has a hard limit on the degree of expansion.

Thanks JackD342! I'm an inch or so shorter than you so I feel like the XL will do ok for me. I have tried one on without the thick mid layer and there seemed to be room horizontal wise. I don't plan on growing much up or out any time soon but you never know.

There is zero reason to put a larger size skin on a smaller size shell.
When I stand up nice and straight (6'1" tall) in my L/X, it is the limits of the shell I am feeling in the tightness from shoulder to heel, not the limits of the skin. The skins stretch, the shells do not.
Also, changing skins is not as simple as changing your jacket before you go out. It is a bit of a project, so don't plan to be swapping back and forth. If you think you will ever need the room in the 2XL/3XL, then get that shell. A smaller skin can hug it closer to your body, but a smaller shell has a hard limit on the degree of expansion.

Given how large my 2xl/3xl inflates to as shown in the pictures, the L/XL model would have to be cut significantly smaller for it to not fit you well.

It is interesting that I had concerns about the diameter of the thigh area when I first started using the suit...it felt like the upper thigh area was very restrictive....After inflating the core of the suit I see this is simply not the diameter of that area of the suit but more likely due to the length of the suit legs and having a narrower area pulled up to my thigh and the thigh area of the suit inadvertently bunched up.

I just got the warranty replacement core from AquaLung, when I start splashing again in a couple of weeks I will pay more attention to this area when I put the suit on....

....I would not recommend someone going a size up unless they really needed the extra room as it would be quite possible to avoid the issue I experienced with the thigh area had I had a suit one size smaller.

-Z

Given how large my 2xl/3xl inflates to as shown in the pictures, the L/XL model would have to be cut significantly smaller for it to not fit you well.

It is interesting that I had concerns about the diameter of the thigh area when I first started using the suit...it felt like the upper thigh area was very restrictive....After inflating the core of the suit I see this is simply not the diameter of that area of the suit but more likely due to the length of the suit legs and having a narrower area pulled up to my thigh and the thigh area of the suit inadvertently bunched up.

I just got the warranty replacement core from AquaLung, when I start splashing again in a couple of weeks I will pay more attention to this area when I put the suit on....

....I would not recommend someone going a size up unless they really needed the extra room as it would be quite possible to avoid the issue I experienced with the thigh area had I had a suit one size smaller.

-Z
If you have a Bullet, a restricted thigh area can be due to the pocket support. Cinching that drawstring will have that effect.

If you have a Bullet, a restricted thigh area can be due to the pocket support. Cinching that drawstring will have that effect.

I cant recall if it was you or someone else who suggested that to me a year ago. Loosening the bungee drawstrings helped significantly...it also confirms that it is not the size of the suit at issue.

-Z

I cant recall if it was you or someone else who suggested that to me a year ago. Loosening the bungee drawstrings helped significantly...it also confirms that it is not the size of the suit at issue.

-Z
Probably was me. I have shared that at least a couple of times, haven't noticed anyone else write the same thing.

Good to hear you got your suit back Zef. Please let us know how it dives. Is the bootie material different? I ordered a fusion tech in L/XL and a sport skin to use on the few occasions when I travel. Evo 4 boots. LDS says it will be 4 weeks but not holding my breath for it.

Good to hear you got your suit back Zef. Please let us know how it dives. Is the bootie material different? I ordered a fusion tech in L/XL and a sport skin to use on the few occasions when I travel. Evo 4 boots. LDS says it will be 4 weeks but not holding my breath for it.

I may be diving it on the 1st...if not the next opportunity I have to take it in a pool will probably be the 8th.

I don't notice any difference in the material of the feet/sock material of the suit.

Presuming the suit's core is the same across all the AirCore suits, I am told that Aqualung has zero stock of size L/XL made in Canada suits at any of their distributors around the world and they are producing the suits for both warranty replacement, dealer inventory, etc....if you just ordered your suit and get it in 4 weeks that is awesome, but I would expect more like 3 months at the rate the warranty replacements are moving. Perhaps they are prioritizing new orders over warranty replacements though.

I don't think you will have the same issue with the Evo 4 boots with the heel abrading because I don't think they have the 2-inch wide velcro down the heel like the Fusion boots do.

Other than the leak that developed in mine, and the long wait for the replacement to arrive, I love diving my Fusion.

-Z

Presuming the suit's core is the same across all the AirCore suits, I am told that Aqualung has zero stock of size L/XL made in Canada suits at any of their distributors around the world and they are producing the suits for both warranty replacement, dealer inventory, etc....if you just ordered your suit and get it in 4 weeks that is awesome, but I would expect more like 3 months at the rate the warranty replacements are moving. Perhaps they are prioritizing new orders over warranty replacements though.
A while back I was told that they are projecting to clear up the back log by about March and start filling in the supply chain with orderable inventory. It feels like they are just working “first come first served,” certainly no indication that warranty replacement is a lower priority. I have no doubt though there are longer lead times on shipments outside North America that travel via boat, need to clear customs, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom