fusion vs evolution 2 vs dui350 help please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danieldale

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
need help making up mind on drysuit purchase.live in edson alberta so dive jasper lakes also go to mexico every year so travel size important or is it?have never taken dive gear with me.fusion,evolution 2 or dui 350 seem to be my options can you bounce ideas back. Thanks a lot.

It does appear the evolution 2 does offer a sock instead of vulcanized boot - but I have not seen one with the sock. An attached boot is adds considerable to travel size - plus I just don't like them.

I have a DUI TLS 350 and I like it - with the turbo soles (no need to pack rock boot, converses, or whatever), it packs quite small.

I haven't used a Fusion or really be around one close up - however it seems to its design that it would pack fairly small. I would love it try one.

I would consider the Evo2 and TLS350 to be similar suits for the most part (the EVO is most likely less expensive). If possible I would try all three or at least the one of the Evo2 or TLS350 and the fusion.

I've been diving dry for quite some time, and have tried a few different suits. Mainly dry-suits are more alike than different. This is true of all BUT the Fusion.

With the Fusion, whites has created a new line of dry suits IMO. The Fusion dives more like a wetsuit vs. a drysuit. The dry-suit material is thin, like maybe 1~2mm. It is a bit strange to don, you basically roll it down, stick the feet in, and roll it up.

I know a couple of instructors that are diving the Fusion, and it is a lot more durable than I expected. One just went into repair after maybe 300 dives, and it had a seam leak. Considering my buddies Evo Suit went into repair for seam leakage with less than 100 dives on it, the Fusion appears to be as or more durable than other manufactures.

IMO if you are spending some bucks, go with the Fusion hands down. It is the most comfortable drysuit I've ever worn.

DUI TLS350- Trilam construction, but not nearly as tough a material as the Evo2. I have used a couple of DUI's and didn't like a single one of them. The benefit is that everyone sells them, that doesn't mean they are good. Its the DUI CLX450 that is the competitor to the Evo2.

Pinnacle EVO2. Very, very, very tough construction. If you are a wreck diver or otherwise are very hard on your suits this is a good suit as it can take the abuse. But you pay for the toughness in weight. Its a heavy suit and the material is fairly stiff. I don't think the stiffness is an issue though, as the bulk of the undergarments are much more restrictive and once your u/w you won't notice it anymore. All in all, its a great suit, but it has its drawbacks. BTW- this is the suit that I have been diving for about 3 years now, I love it.

White's Fusion- very innovative suit. If I were going to buy a suit today it would be this one. Its outer compression shell is completely new concept. Even in the heaviest of undergarments, it has better flexibility than even thin wetsuits. The seals, or more specifically the glue their seals use are just as innovative making seal replacements a 15-20 minute job at home, vice sending it out for weeks long repairs.

Then there is the suit you didn't ask about. The Pinnacle Black Ice- this is a compressed neoprene suit that fits somewhere between the Fusion and the EVO2. Being a front entry suit as well makes don/doff just as easy and with the extensive stock sizes that Pinnacle carries promises you a very good fit.

EVO2, Black Ice, and the Fusion are all great suits. And with any of them get neoprene socks, not molded boots. If you want a travel suit, the Fusion is the only choice. I know people that only dive this suit, doesn't matter if the water has ice on it or if they are in Cozumel. The comfort is unmatched in any suit.

If you are going to travel with a dry suit (and I do) you want several things: It has to be lightweight (thus compressed or crushed neo, or uncompressed neo are not the best choice). It has to pack small (again, neo of any sort doesn't pass this test well, either). And it has to dry quickly, where the trilaminate suits win out. But the Fusion with the sport skin dries pretty darned fast. I can't speak for the tech or LE skins, because I haven't dived them.

Also, if you are traveling, it can be important to be able to turn a suit inside out to dry the inside of it (don't ask me how I know this). Suits with socks make this easy; suits with attached boots are not only heavier and harder to pack, but can't be turned inside out easily, and therefore it's hard ever to get your feet dry if your suit leaks badly.

The Fusion with light undergarments, like what I use in Mexico or the Red Sea, is a delightful suit. With heavy undergarments, I find myself occasionally muttering under my breath about the effort required to stuff my arms and legs into the suit. This is partially a size issue, but I have also heard that Whites has changed their pattern to make the arms and legs a little more generously cut.

As already stated, heavy materials can be tough. But I've got two years and about 350 dives on my Fusion, and I've had two pinpoint leaks in my left leg, both at the knee, and I'm pretty sure both were due to crawling on limestone, or loading onto a charter boat where you had to get on your knees on a fenestrated metal landing platform.

The Fusion, with the sport skin and a pair of X-shorts, is a very durable, comfortable, and adaptable drysuit.

thanks so much very informative and confirms my thoughts as to purchase a fusion.
Great diving and merry xmas.

I've been diving a fusion for about the last 2 months (maybe 20-30 dives). I seem to be the only person that can't stand it. My major issue is that I think it might be too small. I'm a very skinny 6' and I have the L-XL that's supposed to be good up to 6'1''. When I'm in the water, I feel like I can't stretch my legs out without ripping something. When I try anyway, it pulls my neck seal open. It's the same when I look up, I can feel it tugging at the material at my torso. On my old neoprene suits, I could reach my tank valve fine, but with the Fusion I can't. There's too much resistance in the material. I even have a hard time reaching my dump valve. I guess the lesson is, get a size bigger than the sizing chart says you'll be fine with. Another gripe I have is with the durability. It's the only suit I know of that doesn't have knee pads. I have the Tech skin and the material at the knees is even thinner (spandex) than the rest of the suit (1mm neoprene). I usually kneel on the street/sidewalk to put on my tank/BC, but now I find that the little bits of gravel/asphalt get embedded in the knees and poke holes in the suit. I've had to patch a few leaks already. My last major issue is with the extra weight I have to wear compared to my old neoprene suits. Before, with a neoprene and an old Viking open-cell foam undergarment, I wore 28 lbs. Now with the Fusion/MK3 undergarment/microfleece/fleece, I have to wear almost 45lbs. Some things I do like are the front-entry zipper and the sock-type feet (I don't like those massive, air-pocket, attached-gumboots some suits come with).

I have a Fusion with the LE skin. It's my first drysuit, so I really can't compare it to anything. I bought it with the Fusion boots. I really like mine, but it does take a long time to dry. I just hang it in the garage with a fan blowing on it. I also bought the MK2 and MK3 undergarments which I really like. They have little pockets in all the right places. The MK2 comes with a jacket with removeable sleeves and hood. The best pricing IMHO is when you buy a package the includes the undies.

On my old neoprene suits, I could reach my tank valve fine, but with the Fusion I can't.

If this is true, you have really got the wrong size. The first dive I did in the Fusion, I went to do a valve drill and broke out in hysterical giggles, because it was SO EASY.

I've also heard that, if you have the suspenders too tight, you can pull the neck seal open -- just something to try, if you haven't.

If this is true, you have really got the wrong size. The first dive I did in the Fusion, I went to do a valve drill and broke out in hysterical giggles, because it was SO EASY.

I've also heard that, if you have the suspenders too tight, you can pull the neck seal open -- just something to try, if you haven't.

Same here. I got the L/XL which definately is not tight on my. I have full range of motion with my arms and legs.

There is a video on youtube that shows the problem with the suspenders getting caught in the loop. My buddy bought her Fusion last year and sometimes hers gets caught. I bought my Fusion a couple of months ago. The loops in my Fusion that the suspenders go through are quite a bit larger, so I don't have this problem.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/whites-manufacturing/307965-fusion-too-tight-crotch.html

Back
Top Bottom