Future aka New Normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guarantee? Of course not. Who said that?
Help a great deal? Absolutely. And you should include decent masks in your list of helpful items.

I just very recently went out for a few days diving, the boat was full everyday.
No masks at all, except for dive masks...no one, including me, gave any thought about a covid mask. And I'm sure it would of been an overwhelming vote in favour of no masks on dive boat

Really? According to this forum, I thought that all possible overseas visitors to Bali were very frightened old people living cocooned in a covid bubble waiting for a vaccine in 1-2 years time before it's safe to leave the sanctuary of "covid-proof" forcefield....oh well, I guess I'm an irresponsible person along with the millions of other of other travellers who are itching to get back to Indonesia
I was thinking more about the typical partying tourists at Bali. They are not afraid of the risks, but they could bring it back to their countries of origin. I compared this group before with smokers. They know the risks of active and passive smoking very well but many of them do not care much. I can imagine that their goverments are worried about that risk. It is not about what I think that people or governments should do, but what I think they might do. The largest numbers of visitors to Indonesia are from Malaysia, China and Singapore. Three countries where they have the pandemic much better under control than here. Maybe India would be willing to let their citizen travel for leisure to Bali?

[QUOTE="
It'd be foolish not to think that some operators will play on people's fears & paranoia in order to price hike their businesses under "new normal" guise. [/QUOTE] That is a rather hard accusation Dan. So, people who not share your thoughts are foolish? Prices will be still based on these old three rules. What are the costs, what does the competition aks and what is the customer willing to pay. Since nobody in this business has a monopoly, nobody can "price hike". Our competition is everywhere in the world. And, even if narrowed down to Indonesia or even Bali or Lembeh Strait there still will be overcapacity for the much lower demand. Unless many resorts and hotels not survive this crisis and never open again. I am afraid this could be what happens if tourism cannot re-open within the next 6 months. Owners and employees in tourism related business have their own fears. They worked for years, invested and have been trained for a profession for which the demand in Indonesia will be much lower the coming couple of years. And we do not have any social security for the employees or financial support for the companies in Indonesia.

I just very recently went out for a few days diving, the boat was full everyday.
No masks at all, except for dive masks...no one, including me, gave any thought about a covid mask. And I'm sure it would of been an overwhelming vote in favour of no masks on dive boat
If it is an open boat and everybody would stay 1.5 meter apart, it might not contribute much if you wear masks. But,to talk with each other on a boat while the engines are running you have to stick your heads close to each other and talk loud. The perfect way to "share" a virus. On an airconditioned LOB you only needs one not (yet) sick person to infect all.

Mod edit
Quoting Down Underwater Dan:
"It'd be foolish not to think that some operators will play on people's fears & paranoia in order to price hike their businesses under "new normal" guise."

That is a rather hard accusation Dan. So, people who not share your thoughts are foolish? Prices will be still based on these old three rules. What are the costs, what does the competition aks and what is the customer willing to pay. Since nobody in this business has a monopoly, nobody can "price hike". Our competition is everywhere in the world. And, even if narrowed down to Indonesia or even Bali or Lembeh Strait there still will be overcapacity for the much lower demand. Unless many resorts and hotels not survive this crisis and never open again. I am afraid this could be what happens if tourism cannot re-open within the next 6 months. Owners and employees in tourism related business have their own fears. They worked for years, invested and have been trained for a profession for which the demand in Indonesia will be muck lower the coming couple of years. And we do not have any social security for the employees or financial support for the companies in Indonesia.

Not an accusation at all, just what "some" businesses will do to take advantage of the situation. If a business was doing it hard because of covid, I'm sure most people would understand if there was price hikes, if it was justified.
But from my very recent experience in Australia, nothing justifies increased prices or any extra extraordinary measures to comply with covid. It's just business as usual

Neither optimistic nor pessimistic.. just pointing out the media's love of a misleading headline

I'm not sure if the media or anyone for that matter, would love misleading the media with a lie about return of international tourism to Bali

If it is an open boat and everybody would stay 1.5 meter apart, it might not contribute much if you wear masks. But,to talk with each other on a boat while the engines are running you have to stick your heads close to each other and talk loud. The perfect way to "share" a virus. On an airconditioned LOB you only needs one not (yet) sick person to infect all.

Ye, good luck with that

Can
That is a rather hard accusation Dan. So, people who not share your thoughts are foolish? Prices will be still based on these old three rules. What are the costs, what does the competition aks and what is the customer willing to pay. Since nobody in this business has a monopoly, nobody can "price hike". Our competition is everywhere in the world. And, even if narrowed down to Indonesia or even Bali or Lembeh Strait there still will be overcapacity for the much lower demand. Unless many resorts and hotels not survive this crisis and never open again. I am afraid this could be what happens if tourism cannot re-open within the next 6 months. Owners and employees in tourism related business have their own fears. They worked for years, invested and have been trained for a profession for which the demand in Indonesia will be muck lower the coming couple of years. And we do not have any social security for the employees or financial support for the companies in Indonesia.

Not an accusation at all, just what "some" businesses will do to take advantage of the situation. If a business was doing it hard because of covid, I'm sure most people would understand if there was price hikes, if it was justified.
But from my very recent experience in Australia, nothing justifies increased prices or any extra extraordinary measures to comply with covid. It's just business as usual[/QUOTE]
This is not Australia. Can you mention one single tourism related business in Indonesia which is not extremeley hard hit by Covid-19? Still, I never think that people who do not share my opinion are foolish. Maybe they simply have other information, are ignorant or look different at the same facts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom