Future treasure hunter needs gear advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtorsch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone,

I'm a new diver who has stumbled onto a unique opprertunity and decided to take the next step in my dive career. Ive accepted a position on a 7 month treasure hunting dive expedition and need to buy my own gear. Im sort of in a hurry and need to order this stuff fast and get it shipped to NZ where I am currently traveling so any immediate advice is greatly appreciated. Prices are outragious over here and even with shipping from US I'll save well over $1k with all the other electronics i am also buying/shipping.

Some background, I am a new diver with less than 15 dives. Hefty guy, 5'10 and 230lbs with moderate body fat percent but getting thinner daily. I needed about 22lbs on a belt in Honduras to stay down comfortably. The diving I will be doing is all tropical dives in the South Pacfic, mostly Tonga and Fiji. The primary forcus is wreck diving and photogtaphy. The dives will be mostly from zodiacs but also from shore. I will be traveling with the equipment and using it almost daily.

So, I need gear... I didnt pay much attention to the type of gear I dove with already, but the vest inflated on the back and shoulder straps and I was very comfortable in and under the water. Already have self purge mask, dry snorkel and fins. Looking for recomendations on BCD, REG, Octo and suits. Also buying hood, gloves, boots, sausage, knife, torch, bag, speargun, etc, but thats all pretty basic. I have a computer waiting for me, Suunto Zoop. When the expedition is over I will be a PADI dive master. I have a few questions about what would be good mid level gear, its my first setup but im also jumping into the deep end and need tough gear that will perform almost daily and be easily serviced in those countries. This will certainly open new doors for me so the gear will likely be used in a future career. Also since Im shipping it and will be traveling with it, lighter is better.

The captain has recommened a 3mm suit with 2mm flexible parts and a thin Lycra suit (jellyfish skins). Both suits can have only have yellow markings because we will constantly be filmed and other colors bleed. Specific brands that meet that requirment? Im naturally a very hot person and always the last to get cold. I also have questions about photography equipment but will ask in the appropriate section. My budget is around $1500 but a bit more for quality and comfort would be ok. Again, any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

John

Lots of threads on gear, my only suggestion is to find out what gear you can get serviced in NZ and other areas in the South Pacific. For instance, brands like Aqua Lung, Mares, Scuba Pro, Apex, Atomic Aquatics (my preference) are worldwide. The same with a dive computer Suunto is probably the most well known worldwide brand.

As a guy who has worked on several excavation sites, I'd say this.

Get an moderately priced unbalanced second stage, with not a lot of moving parts. You'll get a lot of sand in your regs, and ease of maintenance is key. You most likely won't be diving deep, so this is another consideration for the unbalanced...

Also, I'd recommend something like the AquaLung Conshelf XIV for your first stage if you can get one. They are bomber, and can handle getting dragged in the sand, or smashed with tools and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom