G250? Worth servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Both, I like to multi purpose things, although if it's raining on parade day I won't wear the regs as I don't want them to get wet.

But seriously, I just got one of those re chromed 109s off Couv, I have another but it's condition is not so good, I'd like to restore to a similar standard.

The guy who did my re-chroming has gone out of business. Re-plating a regulator can be very expensive (in the US anyway.) Consequently, it can turn a good investment such as a 109 with a little "character" into an overpriced second stage too pretty to dive and sits uselessly on the shelf.

E.g. lets say you purchase a 109 in decent shape for $50 have it plated for $70 (that's what I paid a few years ago) put on a new exhaust tee ($15-40) diaphragm cover ($15-40) start adding a poppet/spring/lever/balance chamber you're getting into decision making time whether you want to subject your new chrome-plated toy to saltwater. If you dive it, in a few years you'll have a $50 109 in decent shape. Don't get me wrong. If you need a new diaphragm cover or exhaust tee they are worth the investment; in fact VDH has some aftermarket parts made from silicone that are superior to the original items and may last forever. But as the wise man who posted in block 300 asked when I showed him my beautiful toy, "will it breathe $70 better now?"

Last edited:
I have a MK5 and a 109 that both appear to have never been in the water, basically perfect chrome. I have never used either. Instead I use other regs that I have that I'm not afraid to bang up a little.

I did pay for re-chroming on my PRAM, but we all do foolish things. It is nice to have a doublehose reg that looks essentially brand new inside and out.

Yes, although I might dive them on the odd occasion it's more just because I think they look beautiful. I have a barrel of G250s that are scratched etc, they are/will be my daily bang crash regs.

Think I "might" have found the cause of the problem with the high cracking on one of my G250s. I pulled it apart today to try a new spring and noticed the balance chamber has a recess on one end where the spring would fit into. I can't be sure but I think I had it upside down. Presumably this would have increased spring pressure resulting in a high cracking effort?

Anyway I've reassembled correctly this time so will get a tank of air and see how it goes. I did also notice the square slots in the barrel where the lever goes are a little rough which might explain why the lever doesn't always sit parallel and is slightly off kilter. I'll smooth the squares out and see if the lever then sits flush.

If the above doesn't fix the issue I'll try a different barrel. But I'm praying it will now be ok.im going to get this G250 sorted or die trying, figuratively speaking of course.

Last edited:
Think I "might" have found the cause of the problem with the high cracking on one of my G250s. I pulled it apart today to try a new spring and noticed the balance chamber has a recess on one end where the spring would fit into. I can't be sure but I think I had it upside down. Presumably this would have increased spring pressure resulting in a high cracking effort?

Anyway I've reassembled correctly this time so will get a tank of air and see how it goes. I did also notice the square slots in the barrel where the lever goes are a little rough which might explain why the lever doesn't always sit parallel and is slightly off kilter. I'll smooth the squares out and see if the lever then sits flush.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Go to vintagedoublehose.com scroll to the bottom and find a link "catalogs and manuals." Find the file "ScubaPro poppet changes" Your seat/poppet/spring/balance chamber should go into the barrel as pictured at the bottom.

A picture I probably should have looked at more closely a week or so ago. I was so worried about putting the poppet in wrong I never looked at what else it entailed. A time consuming lesson learnt. I will forever have a soft spot for the G250 for all they've taught me. Just got a tank of air, some small files and a loupe. I will conquer this tonight...or get no sleep and go to work either happy or grumpy depending on outcome.

Conclusion:

Reassembled poppet, spring and balance chamber correctly, tried to tidy up the barrel slots, installed a new SP seat as the one in there seemed a little to "grooved" for the amount of time it's been used. Hooked it up to a tank followed tuning procedure, hooked up to a mag gauge and low and behold it's cracking at around .9" same as the other one. I feel a little silly given my mistake in assembling poppet etc.

Regs are hooked up to a DS4 no violent free flow issues.

Anyway a very big thank you to all who offered advice and pointers.

Looks like I can go diving. Feel much more confident now overhauling/updating two more G250s.

Cool..

Back
Top Bottom