Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info.

If you happen to miss the alert when it's "on screen a few seconds" does it show any indicator when it gets back to the Dive screen that there is/was an alert?

The way you describe it makes it sound like, if you have audible alerts turned off, you didn't notice the vibration through your drysuit, and you were looking the other way for a few seconds, then you could completely miss an alert and never even know about it at all.

Anyway, the bit about locking you out probably takes it off my list to even consider - and most other tech divers' lists as well, I would guess. But, it would depend on exactly what conditions trigger the lockout.

I would still like to know if you can change GF settings during a dive.

In my experience the alerts are very hard to miss, but I can understand your point.
Now that you mention it, lockouts are configurable to an extent, and enabled by default. it is up to the end user to disable if desired.

I did not consider editing GF or mix settings under water, so I can't comment on that ability. When in dive mode the watch is locked to a specific subset of screens. As such, my gut feel is that the initial answer is no.

The one other thing I have noticed over the years is that Garmin is a company that values customer input. I'd never count anything out if the market demands specific features.

That being said, I read that all Connect IQ apps and possibly all other functionality will be disabled when Mk1 is in the dive mode. So, I'm fairly certain this might affect regular watch screen navigation and timers.

Right. I expect that if you want a Timer in Dive mode, they'll have to build timer functionality into the Dive mode app itself.

In my experience the alerts are very hard to miss, but I can understand your point.

I find the Shearwater method for alerts works well. The top 2 rows on a Perdix screen are considered "critical dive info" and they are always displayed, no matter what - unless you explicitly flip to another screen, like the compass. The bottom row is additional info that is not considered "critical".

For alerts (e.g. dropping below tank pressure Reserve setting), they display replacing the bottom row of info. Usually in a different color. The user has to press a button to dismiss the alert.

Now that you mention it, lockouts are configurable to an extent, and enabled by default. it is up to the end user to disable if desired.

I did not consider editing GF or mix settings under water, so I can't comment on that ability. When in dive mode the watch is locked to a specific subset of screens. As such, my gut feel is that the initial answer is no.

The one other thing I have noticed over the years is that Garmin is a company that values customer input. I'd never count anything out if the market demands specific features.

I looked on the Garmin site and the User Manual appears to not be available yet. I will look forward to learning what the details are on lockouts and configuration.

Lockouts and changing GF settings during a dive kind of go together in my mind.

Let's say I start a dive with GF50/80 on my Perdix. Stuff happens during the dive and I now need to get to the surface as fast as I possibly can do so somewhat safely (i.e. not just blow and go). I start my ascent immediately, which registers as skipping a mandatory deco stop. As I'm ascending, I go into my settings and change my GF to 95/95, so that it still guides me through a very aggressive but still somewhat safe ascent. With the new settings, the deco stop that was originally called for completely goes away.

The fact that I initially "skipped" a mandatory deco obligation should not cause my computer to lock me into gauge mode after the dive is over. Especially in a scenario like this where the deco stop went away after I changed my GF settings.

Alternatively, a different scenario: I start a dive with my GF set to 30/50 because I was experimenting with my computer the last time I used it and I forgot to change it back to my "normal" settings. I get down to the bottom, check my computer and notice that it's got me going into deco a lot sooner than I should be. I realize what's up and change my GF settings to my "normal" settings and carry on with my dive. At that point, the computer works the same way as if I had started the dive with my normal settings in the first place.

And if I got locked out simply because I started the dive with the wrong GF settings (but completed my dive as planned - presumably based on a backup computer and/or wet notes), that would be totally unacceptable. And especially if I could not change the settings during the dive.

If I could not do those things with the Descent, that would definitely dampen my interest in one.

Let's say I start a dive with GF50/80 on my Perdix. Stuff happens during the dive and I now need to get to the surface as fast as I possibly can do so somewhat safely (i.e. not just blow and go). I start my ascent immediately, which registers as skipping a mandatory deco stop. As I'm ascending, I go into my settings and change my GF to 95/95, so that it still guides me through a very aggressive but still somewhat safe ascent.
Interesting point! Could you follow up with Garmin support and see what they have to say? I'm also wondering if this feature isn't present now, it does appear as something that can be easily handled with a firmware update down the road if enough people are bugging them about it.

On the site, it does state that lockout can be disabled with a "user acknowledgement". ie when you turn it off, there is a CYA warning that you better know what you're doing, before it takes the training wheels off.

Interesting point! Could you follow up with Garmin support and see what they have to say? I'm also wondering if this feature isn't present now, it does appear as something that can be easily handled with a firmware update down the road if enough people are bugging them about it.

Personally, I won't even consider actually buying one until it has AI - or becomes a LOT less expensive. Thus, I'm not in any big hurry for more info. I am content to wait until the User Manual is published and then read up on it to learn my answers (if nobody posts the answers here first).

As a Beta tester, I think Rhyno will probably be relaying concerns that are raised here back to Garmin.

If the current firmware doesn't even let you get to the screen/page where the settings are shown/edited, then a firmware update to allow this is probably a non-trivial project for both coding and testing.

On the site, it does state that lockout can be disabled with a "user acknowledgement". ie when you turn it off, there is a CYA warning that you better know what you're doing, before it takes the training wheels off.

Interesting! I didn't see that. Got a link to where you saw that?

Sigh. Stand by....

ETA: Ok, its on this page Descent™ Mk1 | Garmin

under "Specs"

I'll add a screenshot of the good bit...
Screen Shot 2017-11-01 at 18.41.54.png

I'm with you on the air integration, but remember how it took a while to get Shearwater to introduce AI?

AFAIK Shearwater had AI since day one, it just wasn't OC WAI and their target demo wasn't OC WAI users. Just nitpickng.

Sigh. Stand by....

ETA: Ok, its on this page Descent™ Mk1 | Garmin

under "Specs"

I'll add a screenshot of the good bit...
View attachment 433166

Thanks! I had read that page but missed that little detail. I am guessing that means that if you miss some deco, it will lock you into Gauge mode, but you can disable the lockout, if you want. So, it's something you would only ever see AFTER you've missed some deco. Not so much a setting where you would turn off lock outs permanently. Rather, an ability to ad hoc turn off a specific lock out. I could live with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom