Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks neat. If they launch an AI model, and it's possible to download the profile to a 3rd party logging program, like Diving Log or SubSurface, I'd be banging on their door begging them to take my money.

I'm not particularly happy with any of Garmin's desktop software newer than Mapsource 6.13. It's almost as bad as Suunto's Dive Manager newer than v.3.1.

Ditto to all but especially to the steaming crap they've been putting out since Mapsource 6.

One thing that I see as a downside is the apparent size. It seems more watch-sized than puck-sized, and in green water country with limited light, that's a disadvantage to me and my middle-aged eyes. A classic puck design allows for larger numbers on the display

My Seabear H3 is watch-sized and it is awesome. I do have gauge reader lenses in my masks, but I would have that even if I only used 2 Perdixes. There's more "little stuff" I want to be able to see underwater than just my computer screen. My camera display. Small critters. etc..

If the Descent had AI AND it worked with the PPS transmitters (i.e. the same transmitters as Shearwater, Oceanic, etc..), I would totally be down for one of these (when my Seabear dies).

Is Garmin known for its good support and interaction with end users for providing, pre and post, sales support and answering technical questions concerning its products?

I have had a bunch of Garmin GPS's over the last 15 or 20 years. I have called their tech support on numerous occasions for various things. They have always taken good care of me and provided good, competent tech support over the phone. I think they replaced my StreetPilot 2610 2 or 3 times (all, after the warranty expired) at no charge because of touchscreens that went out of calibration.

If the Descent had AI AND it worked with the PPS transmitters (i.e. the same transmitters as Shearwater, Oceanic, etc..), I would totally be down for one of these (when my Seabear dies).

I should have said, if they add PPS-compatible AI AND pending seeing how well the actual dive functionality works. Especially for trimix deco dives. The feature list seems to have the important things (multi-gas, trimix, and Bulhman ZHL-16C with Gradient Factors). But, the details could still be a deal breaker.

Can you change GF settings during a dive?

Can you edit the gas mixes during a dive?

Does it ever lock into gauge mode for any reason?

Are gas switches as simple as 1 or 2 button presses?

I think I saw a picture, possibly in the DC Rainmaker review(?), that appeared to be showing an alert message about a ppO2 violation. It LOOKED like the alert would pop up taking over the whole screen. I would not like that, at all. I don't want it to do anything that would make my critical info be not displayed. Don't make me have to use a hand to clear a message just to get back to being able to see my critical. My hands might be busy.

And then, niceties that are not as critical.

Can I set it for a last stop depth for when I'm doing deco?

Does it have a timer/stopwatch function I can use during a dive?

When/if they add AI, will they include good support for AI in sidemount?

I suspect Garmin will probably deliver the Descent as a product that is reasonably solid when it comes to manufacturing quality and reliability. But, it remains to be seen whether the Dive mode will really work like serious divers (whether rec or tech) want it to work.

Reactions: Jay
It LOOKED like the alert would pop up taking over the whole screen. I would not like that, at all. I don't want it to do anything that would make my critical info be not displayed.

I think the way alerts in Garmin watches work in general: the watch buzzes/gives audible sound, then the full screen alert is displayed for 1-2 sec, then it goes away. Probably the data screen would still have an indicator that something's off. But yes, without an actual watch, hard to say. But I seriously doubt they would black out the entire screen. They don't do it in running watches, where the information being displayed is far less critical.

Remarkable. I was reading this thread on my iPhone in the lobby of the Rosen Center hotel. I put my phone down and saw one of the Garmin reps standing in front of me! I asked him if he had the new Descent computer in the box he was carrying.

It was his turn to be amazed. “How did I even know about it”, he asked. Old news on Scubaboard, I said. He was blown away that anyone even had heard of it. Going to check it out tomorrow. Gotta love SB.

Garmin is going to be formidable in the dive computer business.

They are just getting started, in their usual modest way.

Their engineers, their technicians, their sales force, will add a lot of
new features and great ideas to dive computers, GPS, multi functional
watch and more.

Good to see such a good company come into the SCUBA industry.

Garmin have the resources and $ to try and figure out UW “GPS”. This is going to interesting.

Reactions: mdb
It was his turn to be amazed. “How did I even know about it”, he asked. Old news on Scubaboard, I said. He was blown away that anyone even had heard of it. Going to check it out tomorrow. Gotta love SB.
Dude. I love you! Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom