Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, I read it as something you could switch off before diving, like a general setting. I see now it could be read either way, I think that being able to "delete" a lockout may be more useful for their target market, and safer than a blanket "Nope, I don't ever want to see lockouts" button.

Personally, I won't even consider actually buying one until it has AI - or becomes a LOT less expensive.

The Fenix 5X is currently trading at $699 and is selling like hotcakes (don't ever remember any substantial sales on any of the Fenix devices. Hell, even many years old Fenix 3 is still going strong!). So, it is highly unlikely that with added depth sensors, water-proofing to dive standards, and integrated dive computer with surface GPS and seamless sync to Garmin Connect we are going to see a price cut.

As I mentioned above, I'm fully confident Mk1 will be a hit among recreational vacation divers who are regular Garmin fitness products users -- I'd guess a sizable group who will effectively pay the costs of future development.

Look at it another way... Even the most basic Cressi Leonardo I started diving with currently runs for $199. PC interface for it is another $100. That's your $300 difference between Fenix 5X and Mk1. But Mk1 is far more capable diving computer than Leonardo supporting gas mixtures, tech diving, apnea spear fishing, compass, and many more things. And it's a single watch sized device!

Reactions: Jay
Thanks! I had read that page but missed that little detail. I am guessing that means that if you miss some deco, it will lock you into Gauge mode, but you can disable the lockout, if you want. So, it's something you would only ever see AFTER you've missed some deco. Not so much a setting where you would turn off lock outs permanently. Rather, an ability to ad hoc turn off a specific lock out. I could live with that.

I'd need to retest to verify, however my memory of this functionality is that once you're on lockout, you're locked into gauge mode. The setting controls whether or not a lockout will occur on the next missed deco stop.

Even the most basic Cressi Leonardo I started diving with currently runs for $199. PC interface for it is another $100. That's your $300 difference between Fenix 5X and Mk1. But Mk1 is far more capable diving computer than Leonardo supporting gas mixtures, tech diving, apnea spear fishing, compass, and many more things. And it's a single watch sized device!

Also, Cressi Leonardo without the cradle is $199 whereas a throw-away watch is $1.99 at a dollar store. That's a $197 difference but the Leonardo is a dive computer, supporting the actual, you know, diving. I'm sure there must be a point to this somewhere.

I'm sure there must be a point to this somewhere.
There is. My example shows the market prices a basic dive computer with ability to export dive information at $300, the exact price difference between Fenix 5X and Mk1 -- two Garmin models different only by a presence of dive computer feature in the latter.

What does your proverbial dollar store purchase is supposed to illustrate exactly?

But I suppose we shouldn't stop at $1.99, why? A recycled magazine photo cut out of a watch would be as useful to divers and athletes as that throw-away watch of yours. And it's free! Can't beat free.

Hell, why search for a magazine in the dumpster? One can draw a watch on a piece of bathroom tissue borrowed from the nearest Starbucks or McDonald's. It wraps real good around a hand, is very comfy, and actually has other potential civilization-upholding uses.

There is. My example shows the market prices a basic dive computer with ability to export dive information at $300, the exact price difference between Fenix 5X and Mk1 -- two Garmin models different only by a presence of dive computer feature in the latter.

What does your proverbial dollar store purchase is supposed to illustrate exactly?

But I suppose we shouldn't stop at $1.99, why? A recycled magazine photo cut out of a watch would be as useful to divers and athletes as that throw-away watch of yours. And it's free! Can't beat free.

Hell, why search for a magazine in the dumpster? One can draw a watch on a piece of bathroom tissue borrowed from the nearest Starbucks or McDonald's. It wraps real good around a hand, is very comfy, and actually has other potential civilization-upholding uses.

I think his point was that not all divers are also athletes who need/want a $600 Garmin Fenix 5x to start with. That it "has" the features of a $600 watch doesn't mean that all consumers who "might" be interested in the dive features it also has find that to be a valuable addition to a dive watch and worth the extra cost. I don't want/need a $600 garmin Fenix 5x, so I'm wearing a $79 ebay Fitbit instead that gives me all the features of the Fenix 5x that "I" care about. So the $600 + $300 "value" to me isn't there, because I only value that $600 part at $79 I paid for my used Fitbit Blaze instead to get what I wanted/valued. Anyone who doesn't value "all" of the features it has, is likely to look at it with the impression of a $3-400 dive computer + whatever they have/would get instead of the other features (like a cheap Fitbit, or maybe just a $1.99 watch).

Garmin is not so concerned with those who want a cheap watch or a low cost computer.

It is obvious they chart their own course.

Garmin produces very high quality products. They have excellent customer service
and very good word of mouth support re: their products.

The fact they came to this year's DEMA show with a modest exhibit, not a "look at me" as
so many others have done, shows a lot about their approach.

Nice to see such a strong company enter the diving market.

I think his point was that not all divers are also athletes who need/want a $600 Garmin Fenix 5x to start with.
I know, I know :wink: But I never claimed the product is for all divers. Or even a substantial chunk of them. Regardless, this brings us all the way back to what started the whole argument... That the new watch is too expensive without air integration.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and claim not every diver wants air integration. And when you consider Shearwater Perdix (mentioned here) standalone transmitter is running $350 and Suunto EON about $440... These are just dongles alone, not capable of anything but transmitting air pressure! Well, hard to complain about price.

To each his own!

All I was saying: the price is high -- and I actually mused how Garmin managed to desensitize people for paying exorbitant prices for athletic watches and upgrading every few years -- but Mk1 will sell. Because for every person willing to shell hundreds of dollars for air integration, there will be at least one person who likes convenience of having a single watch for all athletic pursuits. Or seamless sync and Garmin Connect integration. Or surface GPS. Or maps and navigation. Or size.

Anyone who doesn't value "all" of the features it has, is likely to look at it with the impression of a $3-400 dive compute
Thank you for confirming that $300 premium Garmin is asking over the price of Fenix 5X by the way :D That's all I wanted to point out. If you like Fenix 5X enough to shell out $699 and want a dive computer, Mk1 is priced reasonably for what it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdb
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom