Gas Booster Drive Gas Volume

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a RB, it might be reasonable, but you will need a fairly expensive adjustable HP regulator that might well cost more than a small shop compressor, and you will need air fills to do anything at all. You might look into using T bottles of N2 as drive gas instead, which might cost less, if you are really opposed to a shop compressor.

Rather than purchasing a high priced HP regulator, I envision using a standard SCUBA first stage, (I’ve got a bunch of them), adjust the IP to a bit below 150 PSI, and equip it with a PSIG, OPV, and LP inflator hose connected to a simple ball valve/IP gauge downstream of the drive gas inlet on the booster. I would then adjust the flow of drive gas into the booster via the ball valve. Is there anything about this concept that y’all perceive as dangerous, foolhardy, or otherwise impractical?

Rather than purchasing a high priced HP regulator, I envision using a standard SCUBA first stage, (I’ve got a bunch of them), adjust the IP to a bit below 150 PSI, and equip it with a PSIG, OPV, and LP inflator hose connected to a simple ball valve/IP gauge downstream of the drive gas inlet on the booster. I would then adjust the flow of drive gas into the booster via the ball valve. Is there anything about this concept that y’all perceive as dangerous, foolhardy, or otherwise impractical?
I don't believe that the first stage will give you enough flow to satisfy you. Seein's how I don't know what satisfies you, it's kind of a silly statement. Driving from a first stage, while effective, doesn't satisfy me.

I don't believe that the first stage will give you enough flow to satisfy you. Seein's how I don't know what satisfies you, it's kind of a silly statement. Driving from a first stage, while effective, doesn't satisfy me.

What Frank said. I have a high-flow adjustable HP reg for this, but I rarely use it because the drive gas requirements are substantial for my AG-30, which means I need to bring a lot of HP air with me if I want to drive the booster in the field.

A first stage is ok when you're using something like a KISS Baby Booster and are paying some poor sherpa to pack a set of twins into the jungle for you so that you can refill your O2 and dil bottles. That's about it. And it's really only because hauling a compressor big enough to drive a real booster into an austere environment is entirely impractical.

Satisfaction in this instance may be a matter of degree. I’m searching for a viable solution to what is in the grand scheme of things a minor conundrum, but which in my current situation, remains a problem to be solved. In the larger scope of my worldview, two of the things that can be relied on to consistently satisfy my cravings are ripe nectarines and well crafted Reuben sandwiches.

As I expect to fill cylinders late at night and early in the morning, and do not have any intention of disturbing my neighbors, (I get along with all of them just fine. Two are law enforcement officers: the first is a mild mannered detective with a newborn child, and the other is a rather energetic soul whose concept of conflict resolution is to hit the other guy in the throat), I’ve no desire to own a large compressor at this point, and thus avoid getting punched in the trachea. The low noise units that I’m familiar with lack the required heft to run the booster, so I foresee two paths that I may follow. The first is to deal with boosting while using my current supply of cylinders for drive gas, and the second, less preferable option is to purchase a whole mess of 2 liter bottles, valves, and Shadow Mounts.

Thanks TrimixToo and JohnnyC for your advice.

I intend to use the booster at home exclusively. In the past, I’ve only traveled with a CCR to work in destinations where support was available. International air travel is complicated enough as I drag cameras, housings, strobes, computers, (much as I love film, I’m glad that I no longer have to argue with security officers and customs officials, ((often in languages that I neither speak nor understand)), about the cumulative detrimental effects of multiple X-rays on exposed or unexposed film), multiple hard drives, batteries,dry suits, OC or CCR rigs, and cylinders around the world. Trying to explain a booster that looks like Rube Goldberg built an IED to TSA officers, let alone officials that speak Tagalog, Arabic, or one of countless dialects and languages in the places that I transit through is the stuff that some of my nightmares are made of.

Well, if noise is a concern, it's worth noting that my booster is quite a bit louder than my shop compressor.

Well, if noise is a concern, it's worth noting that my booster is quite a bit louder than my shop compressor.

Thanks again TrimixToo.

I’m not familiar with the AG-30 specifically, (I may have been in a shop where one was running), but presume that it is a much larger and more robust machine than the Mini Sport. I have heard a few Minis in operation and believe that the noise level is tolerable, especially if I keep the garage door closed.

1. I expect to fill cylinders late at night and early in the morning, and do not have any intention of disturbing my neighbors,

2. I intend to use the booster at home exclusively.

If these are two issues they require specific solutions then I would suggest we consider an electric driven oxygen compressor (as a comparison to the air driven booster with this as yet unknown drive air requirements.)
So If I have got your requirements right we are looking at something as below:

1. It should fit and be powered by a domestic electric power socket and plug (as you would say your computer) you need a known but low power domestic electrical supply and power draw,
2. It should be automatic in that once you press start it will compress to the full pressue is reached and switch off. This will save you having to wait up all night while it pumps and save you being up late at night and up early in the morning unless you intend practicing for the arrival of children. (or intend owning unruly pets)

3. Designed and capable of a continuous 24/7 operation. Would be usefull as the pump needs to be small
4. Silent in operation in reference to those next door and not to disturb your sleep with the pump running

5. You require it to be hooked up to a scuba oxygen tank with 1st stage regulator as the oxygen supply.
6. You need to know the power requirements for running the thing.

7. While we are at it you may as well add you need to know the mean time between servicing
8. Why not add you also need to know the service parts cost and each parts service life duration.
9. You need to add in an inlet micronic filter, to ensure long service life from your oxygen supply

10. For safety point you need safety relief valves and an auto stop device
11. An electrical overload cut out devise and overload relay

Now for the compromise. An oxygen compressor is not a booster knowing the difference is critical.
But a suitable scientific lab oxygen compressor may be worth consideration.
As the one illustrated in the palm of my hand. Or its bad ass baby brother I have my finger on

Although both would fill your cylinders, only one you would normally attach a missile to.

IMG_3241_zpshgrd8xok.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_3828_zpsnywrx395.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_4416_zpsssvaqan8.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
If these are two issues they require specific solutions then I would suggest we consider an electric driven oxygen compressor
Now for the compromise. An oxygen compressor is not a booster knowing the difference is critical.
But a suitable scientific lab oxygen compressor may be worth consideration.
As the one illustrated in the palm of my hand. Or its bad ass baby brother I have my finger on
Although both would fill your cylinders, only one you would normally attach a missile to.

That’s an intriguing concept iain/hsm. Yet another chance to learn about something about which I’m entirely unfamiliar. As I’m far from being a rocket scientist, I’ll leave the missiles out of the equation for the time being.

A 5hp producing 15cfm compressor isn't going to run it very fast. That rate would empty a 100 in 7 minutes.
Here is a thread.
Haskel Mini Sport - Drive Gas

Back
Top Bottom