GBR live aboard dive shop recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe M

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking for a 3-day live-a-board sometime during the first 2 weeks of December 2016. Have no experience or knowledge of diving in Australia or Australia in general.

Are there any recommendations, pros/cons, things to look for, things to avoid, when selecting a dive shop for our trip?

I honestly don't want to start any type of firestorm of one dive shop is great or another is terrible, just looking for honest advice. So if it might help to stop any potential arguments, I would glad to take any advice via direct email. But I also welcome replies and discussion here too.

Joe (joemagiera at Ameritech dot net)
joemagiera@Ameritech.net

There are a lot of great posts on here about the various trips from Cairns.

The best diving is that in the far north called the Ribbon Reefs and includes famous spots like the Cod Hole. Only 2 operators go here from Cairns and that's Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom. These leave twice a week (Monday and then again on Thursday and this trip includes the Coral Sea - Osprey Reef for a shark feed).

Most operators go to the Outer Reef and include Ocean Quest, Kangaroo Explorer and Scubapro. KEX and OQ are like floating hotels that move from site to site and have daily transfer vessels go out and back. Scubapro leave and returns after 3 days. Trips leave every day (not Tuesdays for Scubapro)

These are the most professional and long standing operators in Cairns and I have been here since 1990 and can vouch for them!

Will drop you a PM so feel free to ask me any questions direct, but I am sure you will get some great feedback about each of these operators on this thread soon.

Personal preference for Mike Ball, but there's nothing wrong with Sprirt of Freedom :) Been out on both, as both visit some of my favourite GBR dive sites. Cod hole and Osprey are definitely worth the trip!

Can't comment on the others Aquapro mentions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom