Gear Buying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
Ok so I'm slowly acumulating some money and soon might have enough to by my first/next item/s I currently have my Fins, mask, Snorkel, snorkel bag, and boots, oh and a 3mm Shorty wet suit (pretty much worthless here except for wakeboarding/waterskiing)

Anyways,

What I'm wondering is what would you recommend for the order to purchase items? (its looking like I will have about $200 to play with soon, and of course the longer I wait the more I get, probably will wait till at least after I'm certified, which is about 4-5weeks, and maybe even a little after that to make sure I'm gonna stick with it, I have a tendency to jump into a new hobby/sport then give it up 6months later and be stuck with tons of items)

Anyways...

Back on topic yet again, what do you reccomend getting first? ($200 price range, but maybe even up to about $600 depending on how much money I can scrounge up and how long I can save for)

I was thinking BC or Regulator might be a good first step? Or maybe 7Mill 2peice wet suit, or semi-dry/dry suit

Dunno, I plan on renting all my gear until I buy, so I dunno what might be best to buy first, probably what ever typically is the most expensive rental item? Which I assume is BC, Regs, Suit? I know tanks are only like $10 to rent or so...

Ok enough from me, I appreciate all the suggestions I'm sure there will be many different opinions, please if you dont mind, say what you think should be my next item, and why.

Thx,

Will,

First of all, wait until you're certified. Then wait a little longer-just long enough for you to try out different pieces of equipment. Having said that, my first purchase was a reg set. I was tired of lousy rental regs that didn't work the way I wanted them to. Not to mention the fact that it was my mouth only (any my buddies while practicing) that will go on that mouthpiece!.

$200.00 is not going to buy you much in a reg. Save until you get the one you want. Try out the Apeks regs-even the old TX styles. They're fantastic and are very easily serviced.

If you have a wetsuit that will work in the water you wil be diving in (Pacific NW) you can stop worrying about ill-fitting rentals. After that, I'd go for the BC (another thing that should fit & you should get intimate with as a piece of personal equipment.) You don't have to blow a lot to get a good piece of equipment, but remember: When you go to purchase the reg., it won't be useable until you get a computer & Octo to go with it, so plan on putting all that stuff on lay-away! I have a low-end reg & am not really too happy with it. I also would prefer a better computer. I got a really nice octo (and I am glad; I have had to use it!)

Thanks for the replies so far guys. I had pretty much planned on saving for a little while, but being an un-employed student Sucks :( and you end up trying to be as much of a penny pincher as possible while still buying good stuff.

So most likely I will end up buying as inexpensive as I can, but quality will come first, if its a reg thats gonna breath like crap I will wait till I can afford one that works good, etc.

For the wet suit, I'm not sure a 7mm 2 peice is gonna work for me too well, I'll find out in about 4weeks at the OW dives, the rental I tried on fit very snuggly though so I dont think ill fitting will be a problem. The one I have isn't thick enough to do me any good except maybe in really shallow water thats really warm. I use it while wakeboarding/waterskiing and it works fine for that but I wouldnt want to go down 30feet in it. I wore it in the pool the other night and about 3/4 the way thru I was actually shivering about 25% of the time we had left :(

Skin and bones :(

Anyways, thx for the info so far, looks like reg/bcd would be first choice primarily which is kinda what I was thinking.

When I started, I was anxious to get set up to dive, so I bought low end, cheaper items. Since then, I bought a better regulator (went from Aqualung Calypso to Titan LX) I also bought a cheaper, not weight-integrated BC and now wish I had spent a little more an integrated one. I did get some good deals on wetsuits on ebay and saved a lot there. I did make sure that I bought my bc and regs, computers from my LSD for convenience of service and warranty, etc. I guess I wish I would have taken things slower and bought the better stuff right away because now I'm spending more money and have cheaper stuff lying around. Just my 2cents

detroit diver once bubbled...
Will,

First of all, wait until you're certified. Then wait a little longer-just long enough for you to try out different pieces of equipment. Having said that, my first purchase was a reg set. I was tired of lousy rental regs that didn't work the way I wanted them to. Not to mention the fact that it was my mouth only (any my buddies while practicing) that will go on that mouthpiece!.

$200.00 is not going to buy you much in a reg. Save until you get the one you want. Try out the Apeks regs-even the old TX styles. They're fantastic and are very easily serviced.

I bought a regulator first - I was sick of using the crappy rental ones as well. The way I look at it...if your BC fails...you won't die...if your wetsuit fails...you won't die...if your fins fail...you won't die...but if your reg fails...then things get a little worrisome. I went all out on my regulator. I personally prefer, and trust, a Poseidon Odin reg. Of course, once you buy a reg, you kind of have to buy an SPG/Computer so it turns out to be a pretty significant purchase but WELL worth the money.

WillAbbott once bubbled...

For the wet suit, I'm not sure a 7mm 2 peice is gonna work for me too well, I'll find out in about 4weeks at the OW dives, the rental I tried on fit very snuggly though so I dont think ill fitting will be a problem. The one I have isn't thick enough to do me any good except maybe in really shallow water thats really warm. I use it while wakeboarding/waterskiing and it works fine for that but I wouldnt want to go down 30feet in it. I wore it in the pool the other night and about 3/4 the way thru I was actually shivering about 25% of the time we had left :(

A 7mm, 2 piece wetsuit should work just find for dives to 60 feet or so. I just did my first OW dives up here in Puget Sound, and to tell you the truth, I never even thought about getting/being cold. Remember, the 2 piece wetsuit will give you 14mm over the upper legs and trunk area of your body, where you need it the most.

I have already purchased my first and second stage, octo, computer and BC. Except for the octo and computer, everything else was bought used and then checked out through my LDS. I was even able to pick up a couple of second hand tanks that have already been checked out and are dive ready. So my next big purchase will be a 7mm, 2 piece wetsuit, but that is going to have to wait for a bit, while I pay off what I have already bought. (Does the word overtime mean anything?)

Thanks all for the great replies. I happend to stop in my LDS today, and well I meant to only buy some anti-fog and some of that anti smell stuff for wet suits (enzyme that eats the smell) anyways... I ended up buying $184 worth of stuff, thank goodness I get a 20% discount :) $140 is much better... anyways, I decided to buy a light, knife, and gloves... light because the water tends to be murky and dark here, knife (smalles they had 3" blad) because most the places to dive have lots of fisherman, and I want to be able to whack a line if I get hung up in it or my buddy does, and gloves cause well they were nice, not too spendy, and the warmest they had :)

Anyways, the LDS guys thought I would benifit most from buying a suit first as its the most expensive item to rent from them. I dunno how thier other gear ranks in the scheme of things, but the BC/Reg/gauges are the ones we use in confined dives and its pretty decent stuff.

Like I said previously I'll find out how the 7mil suit works, but its almost sounding like dry will be a better way to go. It means I can dive longer in the year, and it colder waters (I want to goto a place in the mountains, really clear water but water temp is like 47 in the summer)

Anways, funny thing is though, they have a similar set up to that we use in the pool except its an integrated BC, same reg, same console (or very similar) for about the same cost as a dry suit... so actually that would save me $22 in rentals as opposed to the wet suits $18 rate. So who knows... more than likely I will get the wet/dry suit (depending, still sounds like the dry is the better first purchase even if a wet will work) then get a similar set up to what they have except maybe upgrade the reg (though I so far like it) and thats about it.

Ok I think I've rambled on enough.

Thanks again for all the great info guys, I think I have it figured out or at least narrowed down...

I knew scuba was for me before I ever donned my first piece of equipment. It might sound crazy but before I started my first open water session ... I spent 3500.00. I never looked back.

I suggest for your first hard gear dollars a regulator (Atomic), because it will serve you for a very long time. As for BCs try many in a real world environment BEFORE purchasing a BC. But a BC is definitely a must own.

Most people after one thought about what people do in a rental wetsuits are scared to rent. But this is the perfect piece of gear to rent because it gets so abused, and if your renting from a top notch successful store, they replace gear every 1-2 years, so you're always diving in the latest thing. But when you settle, the most variety of diving environments are possible in a Hendersen or XCEL semi-dry front zip.

Sometimes it's about having it all and right now (that sounds good) ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom