Gear check and advice - wall of text haha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyway, this is quickly turning into a wall of text that no one will want to read! If you have any advice, links or just want to say hi it would be much appreciated.

Hi. Nothing you are considering will turn out to have been a big mistake.

Here in the Land of the Free and the Right to Arm Bears we have a number of other choices that are arguably more cost effective but I understand the importance of local dealer support. The products you're looking at are all solid.

Enjoy your time on (and under) the water.

Hi. Nothing you are considering will turn out to have been a big mistake.

Here in the Land of the Free and the Right to Arm Bears we have a number of other choices that are arguably more cost effective but I understand the importance of local dealer support. The products you're looking at are all solid.

Enjoy your time on (and under) the water.

Thanks,

I would only really consider looking elsewhere if the equipment mentioned isn't up the task, or there is something superior for the same money?

From what people have posted so far it all seems pretty good. In New Zealand we are a pretty small community so getting onside with the local Dive Shop and Club is worth a few extra dollars in my book.

I would suggest 2 changes for your consideration :
1. As suggested by someone else earlier, an XTX 50/40 reg set instead of the 200. You don't specify, but I'd recommend DIN if that can be compatible with your tanks.
2. If you wanted to save $ on the computer, then consider a Suunto zoop. I started with a Suunto Gekko and found it very simple and intuitive to use. I assume the zoop is a later version of the same unit
Good luck!

I would agree with a lot of the comments above regarding the gear.

Drysuit is definitely something worth considering. Will allow you to dive for longer without getting cold.

With regards to the computer I would make one note that would have changed my viewpoint of computers as a new diver - visibility of the screen in the water you will be diving. I bought an LCD (black on grey with backlight only coming on with a button hold) but having now bought an LED (coloured graphics and letters on black background) the visibility in any water is hugely increase but especially notable in the occasionally murky UK water or on night dives.

I would also go DST (I like the routing with the 5th port turret, but it's not critical) with XTX50. From what I've understood there isn't any real difference in performance from the XTX50 up (the 40 lacks a few adjustments) for the second stage, and the first stage performance is substantively identical. I like my XTX50/DST setup a lot, would buy again.

I would also go DST (I like the routing with the 5th port turret, but it's not critical) with XTX50. From what I've understood there isn't any real difference in performance from the XTX50 up (the 40 lacks a few adjustments) for the second stage, and the first stage performance is substantively identical. I like my XTX50/DST setup a lot, would buy again.

XTX40 lacks the adjustment knob, but that is the only difference. For the octo I feel that the adjustment knob is actually more crucial than having it on the primary as that is the reg that isn't intended on being used. Being able to tighten it up when it is around your neck and then open it up when you start breathing is very nice. On the primary, it's always being used, so it's less important. The difference in price is pretty negligible though so I'd get matching XTX50's.

I would avoid Suunto computers and actually specifically recommend against buying them. The Perdix AI is the right choice if you want the best

Three thoughts, which partially echo some of the comments already made.

1. Your regulator choice: I agree with tbone - go with a DST first stage, and have two XTX50 second stages. Frankly, I see little / no value in having a turret / swivel first stage for single cylinder, backmount diving. But, the DST is a solid first stage, and a very good choice in the Apeks line. If you elect to go with a 'XTX50' setup - Apeks markets this as a DST first stage and one XTX50 second stage - and choose a XTX40 as the additional second stage (instead of a XTX50), use thew XTX40 as your primary, and put the XTX50 on a bungee necklace as you alternate (as tbone suggests, because the 50 has User Adjustable Breathing, while the 40 does not). The 40, properly tuned, will breath the same as the 50 with the UAB fully open. I personally prefer to dive with identical / equivalent 2nd stages.

2. Your computer choice: While I think the Perdix AI is a nice computer, I question whether that is a cost-effective initial step for a newer diver. AI is nice, as a convenience. I have used it for many years, because it is easy to rotate my wrist to check my gas supply, instead of unclipping my SPG to read it. But, the gold standard is a simple 'brass & glass' SPG, and that should be your primary source of gas supply in formation. At this point, a simply non-AI cvomputyer may be a better way to start, simply to save money. I understand tbone's reservations about Suunto, and I think Suunto has lost sight of the target market with some of their recent offerings (which seem to offer glitz, and extra cost, over functionality). But I think the Zoop is still a reasonable first dive computer, even with a somewhat conservative algorithm. I would look for a used unit, although i appreciate the fact that your geography may not mean that there are a lot of used DCs to chose from. Still, going with a Perdix AI may be more than you need at the start.

3. Your wing and BP) choice: You make mention of the possible benefit of 35lb of lift vs 30 as a consideration in wing selection. For single cylinder diving, I would not give consideration to this. A wing with 30lb of lift is more than adequate. I have both Dive Rite and Apeks wings, and am happy with all of them. I think the Apeks wings (I have an 18 and a 30) are a bit bulky and overbuilt, but that subtlety may not be an issue for you starting out. A question: when you refer to a 'Dive Rite harness', I presume (and recommend) that you are considering a Basic Harness, not a deluxe or Transplate Harness. I do commend you for going BP/W at the start (and going with stainless steel for cold water diving is a good idea). You won't regret the choice.

@Colliam7

on the SPG thing, you can still get the Perdix AI sans transmitter, though with the greatly improved accuracy and precision of the digital transmitter vs the analog gauge, I'd use that as my primary source of gas supply since it will be a much better indication of what is actually in your tank as well as being more convenient to check. Whether that matters or not, I know it doesn't, but if I had the choice between the two, I'd go AI. I was actually talking to a buddy about this and if I didn't already have my Petrel, I would be seriously looking at the Perdix AI with a pair of transmitters and do away with SPG's on my primary sidemount tanks *maybe leave a button gauge on them to verify without the computer, and move one transmitter over to my backmount units as needed.

on the wing, I think the Venture wing may offer a better shape if he's going to be diving with a weight belt. The extra lift at the bottom will certainly help keep your butt up vs the travel wing which I do own and love, but I rarely dive with any lead

Two VERY good points:
[you can still get the Perdix AI sans transmitter, though with the greatly improved accuracy and precision of the digital transmitter vs the analog gauge, I'd use that as my primary source of gas supply since it will be a much better indication of what is actually in your tank as well as being more convenient to check.
My very first DC was a Suunto Vytec, which I purchased without a transmitter. I added the transmitter several years later. I intentionally paid more - for a multi-gas computer, with AI capability, - at the start. But, I did that in a situation where the extra cost for the Vytec did not affect other basic gear purchases. And, I admit that when diving with an AI set-up, I use my DC as the 'primary' - what I look at the most - simply because of the convenience. I think a Perdix A! is a great purchase for the long run, probably one of the best purchases on the market today. As long as extra money spent today on the DC doesn't require a compromise on other 'primary' gear, it is a good choice. But, if funds are limited, I would invest in a good regulator set-up, etc. before I would put the funds into a Perdix at the very beginning, particularly if a used DC can be found.

When Liquivision was still alive, I seriously contemplated going with one DC and two transmitters for my sidemount configuration. But, that was then. :(
tbone1004:
on the wing, I think the Venture wing may offer a better shape if he's going to be diving with a weight belt. The extra lift at the bottom will certainly help keep your butt up vs the travel wing which I do own and love, but I rarely dive with any lead
I agree that the shape does offer a potential advantage in that regard. My intended point was that the additional 5 lb of lift should not be a primary factor in the decision. .

What I have failed to see mentioned (and sorry if I missed it) is that you need to understand that whatever gear you choose more than likely next week, month, year you will want something different. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom