Gear check and advice - wall of text haha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello AGNZ

If you want to take a look at our Perdix before you make your decision, I can put you in touch with our Asia Pac rep, Paul Trainor. Paul happens to live in Wellington. I am sure he would be happy to give you a demo. Drop me a line at our info@shearwater.com address and I will connect you up.

Lynn

Three thoughts, which partially echo some of the comments already made.

1. Your regulator choice: I agree with tbone - go with a DST first stage, and have two XTX50 second stages. Frankly, I see little / no value in having a turret / swivel first stage for single cylinder, backmount diving. But, the DST is a solid first stage, and a very good choice in the Apeks line. If you elect to go with a 'XTX50' setup - Apeks markets this as a DST first stage and one XTX50 second stage - and choose a XTX40 as the additional second stage (instead of a XTX50), use thew XTX40 as your primary, and put the XTX50 on a bungee necklace as you alternate (as tbone suggests, because the 50 has User Adjustable Breathing, while the 40 does not). The 40, properly tuned, will breath the same as the 50 with the UAB fully open. I personally prefer to dive with identical / equivalent 2nd stages.

2. Your computer choice: While I think the Perdix AI is a nice computer, I question whether that is a cost-effective initial step for a newer diver. AI is nice, as a convenience. I have used it for many years, because it is easy to rotate my wrist to check my gas supply, instead of unclipping my SPG to read it. But, the gold standard is a simple 'brass & glass' SPG, and that should be your primary source of gas supply in formation. At this point, a simply non-AI cvomputyer may be a better way to start, simply to save money. I understand tbone's reservations about Suunto, and I think Suunto has lost sight of the target market with some of their recent offerings (which seem to offer glitz, and extra cost, over functionality). But I think the Zoop is still a reasonable first dive computer, even with a somewhat conservative algorithm. I would look for a used unit, although i appreciate the fact that your geography may not mean that there are a lot of used DCs to chose from. Still, going with a Perdix AI may be more than you need at the start.

3. Your wing and BP) choice: You make mention of the possible benefit of 35lb of lift vs 30 as a consideration in wing selection. For single cylinder diving, I would not give consideration to this. A wing with 30lb of lift is more than adequate. I have both Dive Rite and Apeks wings, and am happy with all of them. I think the Apeks wings (I have an 18 and a 30) are a bit bulky and overbuilt, but that subtlety may not be an issue for you starting out. A question: when you refer to a 'Dive Rite harness', I presume (and recommend) that you are considering a Basic Harness, not a deluxe or Transplate Harness. I do commend you for going BP/W at the start (and going with stainless steel for cold water diving is a good idea). You won't regret the choice.

Thanks,

After speaking with the DS they are happy for me to trial a similar setup which will be great. In terms of the harness I was looking at either the basic or deluxe depending on whether or not I need the chest strap.

They also agreed the xtx50/dst with either an xtx40 or another 50 was a very good setup.

The DR Voyager XT is a little cheaper than the Apeks wing and it seems like that may be the better option anyway.

The computer does seem a little extravagant so will keep that in mind if I feel costs are getting to high.

What I have failed to see mentioned (and sorry if I missed it) is that you need to understand that whatever gear you choose more than likely next week, month, year you will want something different. :)

So true!

I figured if you get good quality gear at the start the urge to upgrade won’t be as high?

Looking at the Apeks regs the mechanics have been the same for sometime now right, is there any new revolutionary design coming out?

The b/pw harness and wing are minimalist by design right? Adding extra stuff simply detracts from that and wings shapes all look similar across brands.

The computer is probably the big one, it would appear there are still many innovations to come yet?

Hello AGNZ

If you want to take a look at our Perdix before you make your decision, I can put you in touch with our Asia Pac rep, Paul Trainor. Paul happens to live in Wellington. I am sure he would be happy to give you a demo. Drop me a line at our info@shearwater.com address and I will connect you up.

Lynn

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. At this stage the DS seem really good and do stock the Perdix.

I would agree with a lot of the comments above regarding the gear.

Drysuit is definitely something worth considering. Will allow you to dive for longer without getting cold.

With regards to the computer I would make one note that would have changed my viewpoint of computers as a new diver - visibility of the screen in the water you will be diving. I bought an LCD (black on grey with backlight only coming on with a button hold) but having now bought an LED (coloured graphics and letters on black background) the visibility in any water is hugely increase but especially notable in the occasionally murky UK water or on night dives.

Funny you should mention that as I have a basic Free Diving Mares watch. It’s a nightmare trying to push the light with Kevlar gloves to the point I only use it on the surface most of the time.

Drysuit might be a future purchase, I am reasonably confident my 2 peice will be warm enough. It’s fully seam sealed, built in hood and has 10mm around the chest.

Drysuit might be a future purchase, I am reasonably confident my 2 peice will be warm enough. It’s fully seam sealed, built in hood and has 10mm around the chest.

I'll add a note of caution on the wetsuit situation. You may be fine with your current wetsuit and you'll see for yourself.

Here's a little background on why I'm suggesting you might need more. When we're freediving we're at depth a few minutes at a time. As you know the wetsuit compresses as we descend. 10mm surface, 5mm at 10m depth, so on as we go down. With most of our time at the surface in a full 10mm it's fine and warm enough. But scuba diving we're the majority of the time at depth where the 10mm chest on suit is compressed to 5 or even 2mm when deeper. That's why it gets chilly fast.

I'd dive your water temperatures occasionally in a double 7mm prewire with warm water but a drysuit would be nearly mandatory for me to enjoy diving long term. Perhaps a couple conversations with local divers will give you some perspective.

Bought my first drysuit 2 years ago, after decades of freezing in insufficient protection. It's a wonderful invention.

All that to say, it might be worth putting aside a little in the budget for warmth upgrades as well as new dive gear.

Regards,
Cameron

I figured if you get good quality gear at the start the urge to upgrade won’t be as high?
I am not nearly as versed in most of the kit that you are looking at as the rest of the folks who are commenting. I am reading this thread mostly to learn about some stuff. I have two comments. 1) I bought my first DC in 1990. I still have it and it works, but I don't really use it because it's algorithms are so outdated and technology has moved on. In 1998 I bought an AI DC which gave up the ghost this year, so I went shopping for a new DC just before a dive trip. I went to a LDS who had ScubaPro, Suunto, Aqualung, and a Perdix AI. I was leaning toward the ScubaPro Luna when something in my head said wait. I waited a couple of days. I went back to the shop not any better informed than 2 days earlier, looked at everything again, and bought the Perdix AI. It is WAY more computer than I need, but I love it. It's really intuitive and simple to use. It has many features that I won't use, but it also has a lot that I do use. I highly recommend it if you can squeeze it into your budget. Maybe without the transmitter for a while. Look for transmitters on line. I just found a new one with warranty really cheap.
2) When I bought my gear in 1986 I bought the best ScubaPro reg setup I could buy with matching primary and octo. One of them got damaged due to someone's carelessness and had to be replaced. I bought the best I could at the time, again ScubaPro. That was in 1999. I'm still using the reg set and it breathes great. I'm not saying to buy ScubaPro because as I understand it the gear you are looking at is great. What I'm saying is buy the best you can afford and you'll probably be happy for a long time.
Good luck and happy diving.

Cheers - M²
p.s. someone will probably come behind me and explain why what I just wrote is wrong. And that's okay. It's just my opinion.

I am not nearly as versed in most of the kit that you are looking at as the rest of the folks who are commenting. I am reading this thread mostly to learn about some stuff. I have two comments. 1) I bought my first DC in 1990. I still have it and it works, but I don't really use it because it's algorithms are so outdated and technology has moved on. In 1998 I bought an AI DC which gave up the ghost this year, so I went shopping for a new DC just before a dive trip. I went to a LDS who had ScubaPro, Suunto, Aqualung, and a Perdix AI. I was leaning toward the ScubaPro Luna when something in my head said wait. I waited a couple of days. I went back to the shop not any better informed than 2 days earlier, looked at everything again, and bought the Perdix AI. It is WAY more computer than I need, but I love it. It's really intuitive and simple to use. It has many features that I won't use, but it also has a lot that I do use. I highly recommend it if you can squeeze it into your budget. Maybe without the transmitter for a while. Look for transmitters on line. I just found a new one with warranty really cheap.
2) When I bought my gear in 1986 I bought the best ScubaPro reg setup I could buy with matching primary and octo. One of them got damaged due to someone's carelessness and had to be replaced. I bought the best I could at the time, again ScubaPro. That was in 1999. I'm still using the reg set and it breathes great. I'm not saying to buy ScubaPro because as I understand it the gear you are looking at is great. What I'm saying is buy the best you can afford and you'll probably be happy for a long time.
Good luck and happy diving.

Cheers - M²
p.s. someone will probably come behind me and explain why what I just wrote is wrong. And that's okay. It's just my opinion.

Thanks, I think if I don't get the Perdix AI I will just get a really basic analog SPG and use that for my courses and initial dives. I really don't want to buy a computer and then six months to a year later be looking at upgrading to something better.

I'll add a note of caution on the wetsuit situation. You may be fine with your current wetsuit and you'll see for yourself.

Here's a little background on why I'm suggesting you might need more. When we're freediving we're at depth a few minutes at a time. As you know the wetsuit compresses as we descend. 10mm surface, 5mm at 10m depth, so on as we go down. With most of our time at the surface in a full 10mm it's fine and warm enough. But scuba diving we're the majority of the time at depth where the 10mm chest on suit is compressed to 5 or even 2mm when deeper. That's why it gets chilly fast.

I'd dive your water temperatures occasionally in a double 7mm prewire with warm water but a drysuit would be nearly mandatory for me to enjoy diving long term. Perhaps a couple conversations with local divers will give you some perspective.

Bought my first drysuit 2 years ago, after decades of freezing in insufficient protection. It's a wonderful invention.

All that to say, it might be worth putting aside a little in the budget for warmth upgrades as well as new dive gear.

Regards,
Cameron

Appreciate, if I get cold I think I will have to rent a dry suit. However, summer is coming in NZ up so I think ill be ok for at least another six months.

Out of curiosity which brands are the ones to look at? Typically I will be hunter gathering so durability is pretty key. Obviously fit is critical however not all brands are made equal I imagine...

Thanks, I think if I don't get the Perdix AI I will just get a really basic analog SPG and use that for my courses and initial dives. I really don't want to buy a computer and then six months to a year later be looking at upgrading to something better.

:rofl3: I think the chances of there being "something better" then perdix ai 6 months from now are rather slim. At least for most definitions of "better".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom