Gear purchases you DON’T regret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought this pair of Mares full-foot fins about 10 years ago that have been with me on every warm water dive since (we have cold water at home, strap fins with boots here.) The fins fit my feet like a glove, still look just about as good as they did when I bought them, and have the perfect flex for my kick.

My greatest fear of diving is the day those fins wear out and I'll have to find a substitute. I have no concerns about replacing any of my other gear, when the time comes.

1. BP with single and twinset wings
2. Perdix
3. Dedicated rec and tec reg sets
4. ComfoBite mouthpieces
5. Twinset
6. Gas analyzer
7. BlackTip DPV with IATA-friendly shipping case
8. DR XT fins
9. D6G 3mm wetsuit
10. Surf robe for getting naked, dry and changed in front of everyone

10. Surf robe for getting naked, dry and changed in front of everyone

Wait, you're supposed to do that under a robe? :)

I did the same thing...just replaced my first pair of crappy fins with a pair of Jet Fins....which I like even though I know a lot of people don't.

Well, I dive with Jet Fins and, especially some places in Mexico, if you have a pair of vintage, Lightning Jet Fins made in the USA I recommend guarding them carefully and have your name painted on them. For every person that doesn't like them there seems to be two who do.

After finally getting my first and second (girlfriend's) dive computers and then seeing what else is available, we ended up not using the "most popular" ones and now dive with the old Aladin Pro computers on a console (after having forgotten the wrist-strap devices more than once). The ones we have are not Nitrox but I never expect to use the stuff and they have proven to be reliable, are very easy to read, and what the numbers on the screen indicate is clearly indicated on the computer. These are the ones with four contacts and require being immersed in oil to change the battery. We also have a couple of the smaller, 3 contact Aladin Pros for backup, but the chances of failure are almost non-existant. My US Divers i300 went bonkers after only 9 months. They replaced it but I have no confidence in it. My girlfriend discovered while using her Mares Puck Pro that it can be important to know which numbers mean what, which apparently wasn't obvious to her. On some of the modern computers the LCD letters are so small that anyone with less than 20/20 vision might have problems.

Back
Top Bottom