Gettin' a Dry Suit in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fit is everything - regardless of the brand.

Rich

Rich you are right!......but I beg the question--- why does my dry suit 'fit' different than it did 3 years ago...seems a bit tighter.....:(

Your just a growing... LAD!

Did you buy bigger under wear? (Where else but a drysuit thread can you ask that!) :rofl3:

Andrew, I wish I could say yes to the thicker undies....but I think the suit just gets smaller each year--right! :rofl3::eyebrow:
:D

No kidding - I ordered a custom suit a few weeks ago and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't thinking about outgrowing it during thanksgiving.

My drysuit is a $1500 weight maintenance incentive.

Rich

Before I bought my DUI I was looking into Diving Concepts and USIA. Quality suits but by the time I added the extras they were about the same price as the DUI. I believe Tom's is a dealer for Diving Concepts.

Before you BUY a drysuit you need to use one. Talk to John Lindsey at Scubaland Adventures:

1001 West Anderson Lane
Austin, TX 78757
phone: (512) 323-6999
fax: (866) 855-1308
info@scubaland.com

John's drysuit diving in Travis and offers a class in how to use them. If you feel that you want to buy a drysuit after testing its use in Travis, get one that fits. Also, you don't need the most expensive or rugged (unless you want to dive in caves or Lake Erie). Decide how much you want to pay, and a shop will work with you to get what you need.

(I do not work for Scubaland Adventures; I just picked them as an example.)

Before you BUY a drysuit you need to use one. Talk to John Lindsey at Scubaland Adventures:

1001 West Anderson Lane
Austin, TX 78757
phone: (512) 323-6999
fax: (866) 855-1308
info@scubaland.com

John's drysuit diving in Travis and offers a class in how to use them. If you feel that you want to buy a drysuit after testing its use in Travis, get one that fits. Also, you don't need the most expensive or rugged (unless you want to dive in caves or Lake Erie). Decide how much you want to pay, and a shop will work with you to get what you need.

(I do not work for Scubaland Adventures; I just picked them as an example.)

This is really good advice.

I personally love diving wet for more freedom underwater, feeling like a fish.
I own a top of the line dry suit for conditions like water temperature or outside temperature that makes sense. I do not like the style of diving that I have to adjust too while diving dry, example how much extra weight I carry 26 pounds to offset the thermal bouyancy of the dry suit, the purge valve going slower underwater and lifting my left shoulder first to start any upward movement extremely slowly to compensate for the slower rate of discharge of the valve then a BCD valve that exhausts quickly.
If you dry suit dive, you know the difference in style of diving necessary in a dry suit.
It is a lot of money for a very small window in central texas to need to dive dry. I know cause I only dive dry when I have too, like this weekend.

Shawn O.

Before I bought my DUI I was looking into Diving Concepts and USIA. Quality suits but by the time I added the extras they were about the same price as the DUI. I believe Tom's is a dealer for Diving Concepts.

I had the opposite experience. The DUI suits I was looking at were pretty basic and by the time I added on things like pockets and knee pads (not to mention custom cut) the price was out of control. Many of the other brands I looked at included these things standard.

That reminds me of something I left out earlier. Drysuits are a high margin big ticket item and the price you see is seldom the real price unless you just don't try at all. You have to get pretty far into it before you're comparing real prices for different brands.

I think buying a drysuit is more frustrating than buying a car.

Rich

Back
Top Bottom