Gettin' a Dry Suit in Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think buying a drysuit is more frustrating than buying a car.

Rich

Yeah, I'm hoping with ya'lls input and checking some w/ some good dealers it won't get to that... :banghead:

Please keep the input coming, this has been very informative... Thanks!

What 'Mares' suit are you considering & why?
What about it do you like?
How does it price out? ($Ballpark$)
Have you looked at/tried a dry suit that you liked/not & why?

For what it's worth, I'm considering the Dry Fit 3.5. Talking to divers who've tried it, it seems to be a very good deal at it's MSRP, and we all know we can get them for less. It comes with many features that are associated with the more expensive suits, and the high-density neoprene is touted as being closer in use to a shell suit while retaining some of the warmth (and obviously buoyancy) of neo suits. Most places I've seen have it for about $1100.00. I haven't tried it on personally yet; waiting to see how my car does at the doctor first.

For what it's worth, I'm considering the Dry Fit 3.5. Talking to divers who've tried it, it seems to be a very good deal at it's MSRP, and we all know we can get them for less. It comes with many features that are associated with the more expensive suits, and the high-density neoprene is touted as being closer in use to a shell suit while retaining some of the warmth (and obviously buoyancy) of neo suits. Most places I've seen have it for about $1100.00. I haven't tried it on personally yet; waiting to see how my car does at the doctor first.

You can always bum a ride to the dive site with your dive buddy, right? Get the dry suit!

I just ordered a new TLS350 a couple of weeks ago from Austin Aqua Sports. I was waffling between that suit and a similar Diving Concepts dry suit. I went with the DUI mainly because Mike at AAS was able to explain all the features clearly and make suggestions after asking me some questions. Mike pretty much removed that "banging my head against a brick wall" feeling you eluded to in a previous post.

Oh...and Mike doesn't expect you to pay in advance while you're waiting 4-6 weeks for the dry suit to arrive. Tom's makes you put the full amount down before they'll order the suit, which is another reason I didn't go with Diving Concepts. :wink:

I imagine you're going to need a custom suit given your body type. I ended up having to do that even though DUI offers a bunch of different off the rack sizes. I could almost get a good fit off the rack, but there was always one part of the suit that didn't match up. Mike took a dozen plus measurements to fit me. DUI has even called a couple of times to verify information before they started cutting the suit.

DUI suits do cost a little more than the Diving Concepts suits, but their warranty is also considered one of the very best. Plus you can spend even more money and get the cool zip seals for your wrist and neck. :wink: Hey, what's a couple hundred more when you're already spending thousands!? :D

Seriously, I'd suggest going to the local shops and talking to someone in the know and making sure you get what you want in a dry suit. Mike at Austin Aqua Sports; Warren and Tom's Dive and Swim; John L at Scubaland North and I'm sure Mack at Oak Hill can answer all the questions you have.

Good luck!!

I've got the Bare dry suits at Oak Hill Scuba. The quality and fit are why I chose this line over Whites, OS and some of the others. I would look at them as DUI being the Mercedes. Bare is the BMW. Whites, OS, Mares and others are domestics. Shop around and check the features that each brand has to offer for the type of diving you want to do. A good shop like mine, Aquasports, Scubaland, etc. will work with you to help you get it right. Depending on your size, Bare has a good deal going on last years model. These are typically the XL Tall, Medium Short and other non-standard sizes. The deal is limited to what they have in stock and it takes a week - 10 days for delivery.

Yeah, I'm hoping with ya'lls input and checking some w/ some good dealers it won't get to that... :banghead:

Please keep the input coming, this has been very informative... Thanks!

JUST DO IT and get a dry suit. It takes time to deliver so do it now before it warms up in February.

:D

JUST DO IT and get a dry suit. It takes time to deliver so do it now before it warms up in February.

:D

My new DUI TLS350 arrived today. What a sweet suit! Can't wait to try this baby out at the lake this weekend! :D

My new DUI TLS350 arrived today. What a sweet suit! Can't wait to try this baby out at the lake this weekend! :D

Your gonna DIE!! :11:

Your gonna DIE!! :11:

Happens to us all sooner or later, right? :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom