Getting the right equipment and setup for future solo / self reliance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pretty easy to swim to the surface from 30 feet, isn't it?

You would think.....

My advice to solo divers and divers in general, is take up freediving. Not the wild record setting stuff, but the ability to do multiple dives in the 20' to 40' range. You will find that you get a better perspective on OOA situations and how long you can function without another breath. Also as you dive without all the SCUBA gear, you get more selective with the SCUBA gear you need or want to take with you.

Although it may not conform to the classes being given now, I perfer the Freedom Plate with an Oxycheq wing, weightbelt (I'm in the land of 7mm Farmer John), reg (40" bungied pri with std alternate and SPG), steel 72, computer, and compass for dives from the surface to around 80'. Deeper dives I go with a buddy or pony or both. If I have some kind of project in mind I'll go to a bigger tank, different plate, doubles, lift bag, camera, speargun, whatever gear is appropriate. I have lots of gear, I just don't want to take it all on every dive.

I'd say your good with what you have set up now, just work with it untill you can deploy it, use it, and restow it while in gloves and low viz, then get your pony of choice to use. I have my personal issues with Spare Air, but I've found that it's fine if you don't need much air.

Bob
----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

My advice to solo divers and divers in general, is take up freediving. Not the wild record setting stuff, but the ability to do multiple dives in the 20' to 40' range.
Bob
----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

That's an interesting perspective; I like that. I kind of have done it when "required" to snorkel with family; but agree it would be great training. Just "messing around" gave me more confidence. (untill I see something neat, and forget I can't take a breath off the snorkel! Maybe I WAS practicing OOA situation)

Bob (as well)

As promised a photo of my pony set up for side slinging

IMG_1391F.jpg

Greetings Darrel probably the first thing I would recommend is to research for a instructor whom you desire to train with or a very experienced mentor.
Make sure they are a good fit to the diving you wish to do.
Allow them to offer suggestions on gear decisions and also try different methods to find the right one for you.
Some configurations are standard and some allow for a variety of customizations.

I prefer to dive redundant on every dive most of my diving requires it but have used singles twice in 3 years.
I like to dive larger steel thanks when I do as it allows for more volume of gas and less weight on my belt.
Your desire to be conservative is a good one remember the KISS, " Keep it Simple Stupid!" rule and train well
My instructor repeated that over and over till I heard it in my sleep but it is sound advice!
Do not over complicate your rig! Make is simple and train with it constantly!
Minimize hose lengths, remove tangle hazards, do not fall into the carry to much stuff boat!

If the dive requires it take and train like crazy with it.
Take constructive evaluations from other mentors and train yourself into the diver you want to be!
Just a thought but read all the stuff out there.
D.I.R., GUE, TDI / SDI, that will open your mind to other methods and ponder them carefully.
What you will discover is that it will help to shape your dive goals and give you an idea of how to reach them.
Be direct and purposeful spend your dive cash wisely!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Thanks everyone. Thanks Searcaigh for the picture. Looks like a perfect setup. The SPG hose looks about 5 foot to short (just kidding). Training and studying is the best part of this sport. That and the stories.

Looks like a perfect setup.

It's a nice, neat set-up for sure. I'm still bewildered by the need for a long-hose though... it's not something I've seen in 22 years diving.

Firstly, many divers reserve the pony as their personal redundancy. Air-sharing priority given to the regular AAS from the back-gas.

Secondly, on dives that require redundancy, both divers should have that redundancy. Few divers carry redundancy for their buddy... that's just being a mule. If the other diver wants redundancy, they should carry their own...

Thirdly, if the decision to air-share from the pony was made... just 'hand-off' the entire pony. No need for a long hose at all. The ability to hand-off a slung pony is one of the primary justifications for carrying the cylinder in that configuration.

Just my thoughts...

It's a nice, neat set-up for sure. I'm still bewildered by the need for a long-hose though... it's not something I've seen in 22 years diving.

Firstly, many divers reserve the pony as their personal redundancy. Air-sharing priority given to the regular AAS from the back-gas.

Just my thoughts...

Just my personal preference DD, if I have to donate it I don't want the recipient too close while I detach the pony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom