Ginnie Eye Collapse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Got back into Ginnie after taking last week off, and found that the sign in the eye had been moved and there is a huge amount of sand missing where the sign used to be. Anyone have any skinny on what happened? The rocks by the log have also moved.

I'll see what I can do if no one gets one by next week. I might see if I can take the mount @jlcnuke made and my DR diffuser. I don't want take my big tray and lights.

... found that the sign in the eye had been moved and there is a huge amount of sand missing where the sign used to be.
The sand further to the right in this below?
Devil_entrance.jpg

Photo credit M.Perkins

Many years ago, (circa 2005-2007) I helped place that Grim Reaper sign in the Eye. That "Hole" was already there and that is why we placed that sign where it is.

Over the past few days I have made a couple of dives into the Eye and have seen no evidence of any collapse.

I think I need to clarify my response. The hole where the Grim Reaper sign sat for years did get wider and a bit deeper. So, in that regard it did "collapse" in that it dumped sand down further into the cavern. @kensuf says he saw about 2 feet of Gold Line buried, yesterday afternoon (8/2/2023) in the cavern zone below where the Grim Reaper sign sat. I did not see that on 8/1/2023.

Dove there yesterday. The sand and shells collapsed and ended up buried about 4-6 feet of the line as it descends from the eye to the gold line in the gallery. I tried to dig it out but there is over 2 feet of sand and shells on it.

Collapse isn't really the right word. Shifted or slid is probably better.

On Wednesday afternoon I tried digging out the line too, had a similar experience to you. It's currently only about a 2' gap that is buried and there's a silt screw underneath all of that (I know, I put the silt screw in there several years ago) that is holding the line down. I plan on trying again with some tools that may make the process go a bit better, but want to pick a time when I won't interfere with people diving for fun.

Thanks for your guys work on the system! Probably not connected, but Gilchrest Blue is not that far away.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom