Ginnie Eye Collapse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dang, so that got pushed through? That sucks...
Farms in Gilchrist county pump out 170mgd. Nestle is a drop in the bucket compared to the agricultural interests.

Springs were also a hot topic during during the last Wakulla Co commission meeting. Some arrests were made.

Farms in Gilchrist county pump out 170mgd. Nestle is a drop in the bucket compared to the agricultural interests.

And dumps massive amounts of fertilizer and other nutrient sources like livestock.

Nestle's permit is like deck chair on the Titanic. I am half convinced that the opposition to it was astroturf by AG interests. Don't get me wrong Nestle is a bastard of a company, just in this case I think they were being built up as a scapegoat for future water problems the area will have. As there was no legal way that the water district could deny the permit.

I thought about that Pete. Both systems have been connected by dye trace, so it's possible whatever the surge was that caused the issue at Gilchrist two weeks ago was related.

I doubt it...but what do I know.

I am told that the water plant is connected to Ginnie's water source and not the water source for Devil's. So if Devil's and Gilcrest are connected that would make an interesting how the water flows underground as Gilcrest is next to the water plant.
So my two cents is that it is extremely multifactorial. Nestle's pumping habits are definitely a problem. But so is farming, industrialization, and cave diver influence on the systems. You can't blame one thing,. Nestle should not be allowed to pump as much as they do, and the fact that the state is so willy-nilly about it sucks. Ag and other industries are also taxing the systems. That part of ginnie is right where everybody passes, so it's also affected by divers disturbing the area (even if we think we don't we do). Add to that floods and droughts affecting the system as well. My point is we can't blame one thing. We are rapidly killing all of our springs. North florida will be a very different place in 15-20 years with more and more dead springs. Sadly nothing is likely going to be done due to the state being more interested in pleasing industry than protecting resources. My prediction is the loss of multiple cave diving sites over the next 2 decades as well as we'll eventually be banned from Ginnie and it will be tubers only. I hope I'm wrong, but that's my thoughts.
My spouse's job is mostly springs conservation, and she agrees there are tons of factors creating collapses, not just one thing to point a finger at. The rest of the commentary is 100% mine and not her thoughts (I dont wanna get in trouble for speaking for her).

Springs were also a hot topic during during the last Wakulla Co commission meeting. Some arrests were made.
I didn't hear about that. People got uppity and got arrested?

Dayum. Where did you find that datum?

A couple things that come to my mind... how much of water used for irrigation find its way back into our aquifers? Some is lost to evaporation, some is used by the plants, but how much goes back into the cycle?

Also, single use plastic bottles are a horrible waste. I use them all the time for soda, but draw the line with water. If I could figure out a cheap soda system for the house, I'd stop that as well.

Also, single use plastic bottles are a horrible waste. I use them all the time for soda, but draw the line with water. If I could figure out a cheap soda system for the house, I'd stop that as well.
I quit drinking soda. Problem solved.
Agree, plastic water bottles are horrible. I hate using them. Avoid whenever I can. Don't even like to drink from them even when I don't buy.

Don't even like to drink from them even when I don't buy.
Fortunately, I have bottled water on tap. It irks me when people bring bottled water on property. Please keep it in your car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom