Ginnie Eye Collapse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fortunately, I have bottled water on tap. It irks me when people bring bottled water on property. Please keep it in your car.

I actually hate Florida spring water, it tastes disgusting to me too much minerals.

If I ever move to cave country I need to figure out how to make "drinking water" which has a much lower mineral content but not the no minerals you get with a regular RO filter.

Meh... It's God's perfect brew!

Different strokes for different folks. Japan has this right IMO, they just label the water with the mineral content so you can make an informed purchase. Though the tap water was pretty decent.

. how much of water used for irrigation find its way back into our aquifers? Some is lost to evaporation, some is used by the plants, but how much goes back into the cycle?

Also, single use plastic bottles are a horrible waste. I
That metric is something that's pretty much impossible to know. MFLs (minimum flows and levels) is really the metric everyone uses for how the aquifer is pumping basically. The issue with the agricultural is the plants get the clean water and the water contaminated with chemicals and fertilizers are what make it back into the aquifer. I'm sure you've seen first hand what high nitrate levels do to springs.
I still use some single use plastic bottles when necessary, but I've become one of those people that always has a reusable water bottle an arm's length away.
I actually hate Florida spring water, it tastes disgusting to me too much minerals.

If I ever move to cave country I need to figure out how to make "drinking water" which has a much lower mineral content but not the no minerals you get with a regular RO filter.
I hate spring water taste as well. I've always hated Zephyrhills brand water the most, but got only knows what spring it actually comes from .

I use plastic ones when I have no choice, usually I fill with a filter system and use reusable bottles.

I hate spring water taste as well. I've always hated Zephyrhills brand water the most, but got only knows what spring it actually comes from .
They at least say it comes from Crystal Springs.

Dayum. Where did you find that datum?

A couple things that come to my mind... how much of water used for irrigation find its way back into our aquifers? Some is lost to evaporation, some is used by the plants, but how much goes back into the cycle?

Also, single use plastic bottles are a horrible waste. I use them all the time for soda, but draw the line with water. If I could figure out a cheap soda system for the house, I'd stop that as well.

SWMD has the data on consumptive use permits, it's publicly accessible if you do the digging on their web-sites. I took a post-bac course in water at UF and one of the projects involved pulling the data for water usage from various water management districts.

Single use plastics are horrible and are a valid reason to oppose water bottling companies. Their predatory practices in gaining water rights is another. They all but have the aquifers in Maine locked up.

In terms of ag, transevporation is a thing and recharge is another, but do remember they add fertilizer before they spray it on the crops. Where do you think that combination of cow poop and water goes once it lands on the ground? Hint, some of it filters into the aquifer, driving nutrient loads in our springs. At least Nestle wants to sell clear looking water, Farmer Brown wants to sell soy beans and doesn't think about the water under his feet.

combination of cow poop and water goes
All good points, but I'm not as worried about the cow poop as much as I am any man-made chemicals.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom