Glove promo is over/post reviews here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sad thing is that a lot of people don't/cant handle freedom. They need laws and others to regulate what they do. They can't do the right thing on their own so they want laws to "make them" do it and/or control the lives of others. (and people wonder why our country is such a mess). Everyone is entitled to their own oppinion; and guess what, that means everyone! Your rights and freedoms end where someone elses begins (and vice versa).

all this to say that if you don't like webbed gloves for scuba, that's fine, don't use 'em. There is more to scuba than sinking and kicking your way around. (why is there a swim test for all divers? why is there additional swim test requirements for DM's?)

also, divers are not limited to scuba, there is snorkeling.
Time for a paradigm shift. I betcha some divers even do things other than scuba :shocked2: (yeah, I know, pure heresy)

Go Darkfin, you're showing the true American spirit, initiative and freedom!

I'm just curious how a non-diver knows exactly what divers "need", especially when it goes against all current teaching.

But just like YOUR opinions, my opinions are equally useless in the grand scheme of things.

I'm just curious how a non-diver knows exactly what divers "need", especially when it goes against all current teaching.

If you read his profile, he is a former diver.

From Roy's profile:
My first scuba dive experience was in La Jolla. No longer allowed to dive due to inner ear problems but can't stay away from it completely

Hello Roy;

I am interested in the gloves, and if I have not missed the cutoff completely I would like to try a pair. Heck, If I like them I will insist on sending you a check or a suitable gift for the test run.
A couple qualifiers though as I want to make sure they are right for me:
How do you think they would work with Lobstering in Florida?
I am a bug nut and about 80% of the time that I am diving I am also buggin'.
Do you think this is ill advised?
If this is an acceptable activity with these gloves, I offer up my hands as Guinea Pigs.
I will dutifully make a written report on the product thereafter.
Chug

I just got mine in the mail today. I tried them on and they fit perfectly! They seem to be pretty durable with plenty of traction for gripping things. I tried them around the house picking things up to test my dexterity while wearing them. The first thing I picked up was my speargun and i was able to hold it and pull the trigger just fine. The only shame is I will have to wait till the weekend to try them in the water. I shall report back latter this weekend after a good test in the water.

Thanks again Roy for the opportunity to test these out for you.

I'm not afraid of the gloves and i am supposed to receive a free pair as well. I think they might be VERY useful for freediving, especially on the initial descent when many people do a single pull down as part of the surface dive. They could also be useful at the last part of the ascent, when the hands are moved from over the head to along the sides of the body.

The poor guy has asked "why is hand swimming bad on scuba" and he has received little more than a few people parroting what they have been taught in scuba class.

Way back when, when I used to teach scuba diving, I would never say don't do this or that, without explaining EXACTLY why I am making a recommendation. In order to reduce the hand motions of students, I would explain the following:

Generally your hands are inefficient relative to using fins, so it is a waste of energy. However, if we had never been given swim fins to use, we would probably be telling students to stop kicking their little feet and concentrate on using their arms...LOL So maybe webbed gloves are not THAT inefficient?

Another significant problem with hand swimming is that it can often stir up the bottom (sending vortices of water swirling vertically downward).

I would also tell my students that once they get certified and really learn to dive, they won't be swimming around doing nothing. They will probably be holding a light, a speargun, a camera, a lobster net, a tickle stick, a lobster snare, pulling a float, a reel etc. So it is important to not rely on hands for swimming while scuba. Basically "real divers have their hands full".

Using your hands a lot is also actually a hazard in that you are much more likley to accidentally catch a loop of your buddy's regulator hose and rip the reg out of his mouth.

Also, if you are trying to avoid scaring marine life (for the purpose of killing it or taking a picture) flailng around with your hands makes you look quite spastic and tends to scare fish.

Also, for swimming with no scuba gear on, the hands are VERY important. But trying to swim with your arms when wearing scuba gear causes a lot of shoulder motion and the scuba harness and/or BC will probably make arms swimming less useful and more uncomfortable. I think it would tend to pump more water through the wetsuit also.

I was solo scuba diving this weekend and noticed that I still use my hands to spin around underwater (when no body is looking).

Personally, I'm not afraid of trying the gloves. Maybe they will make diving more FUN, even if PADI doesn't have a webbed glove specialty class (yet).

I'd have to agree that trying them out can't be bad. It may "reinforce bad diving form" but only when "bad diving form" is defined by current technology, equipment and theory. I remember when not having a J-valve on your tank was considered "bad diving form". Now, I see one of those antiques every few years. Times do change with new equipment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom