Glove promo is over/post reviews here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roy,

I promised you a review, so here goes:

First, other than the fact that he mailed me some crazy gillman gloves, I know nothing about Roy. So, gloves in hand, I drove off to the YMCA for some swimming and skin diving. Here's what they look like:

test001.jpg

test002.jpg

test003.jpg

test004.jpg

test005.jpg

I did everything I normally do, but with the gloves on my hands. I changed into my swim gear, put my goggles on, and put on my dive watch all whilst gloved. They are pretty easy as far as manual dexterity goes. I swam for an hour, and then did skin diving and some apnea work for a while. Overall I am very pleased with these gloves. Here's what I think by activity:

Swimming:
-Great workout tool, they smoke your arms if you push hard.
-They make you have good form, or suffer if you do not.
-They remind me of a kickboard of pull buoy.

Skin diving:
-Using only my arms, I could execute all surface dives and swim around just fine.
-I think these would be great for handicapped diving.
-I could use my watch and do everything I needed to do with the gloves on my hands.

SCUBA
-They need to be a different color, because the all black ones make it very hard to give signs to your buddy, especially how much air you have in your tank.
-They did not impede my hands at all other than effectively communicating hand signals.

Apnea
-I could easily swim over 50 meters underwater on a breath hold with these gloves. I can do it in just swim trunks, but it felt WAY easier with the gloves. If you spread your fingers wide, you can pull enough water to pull your goggles up on your forehead if you are not streamlined in the water.

Conclusions:

I really like these. I'm a diver, but I'm a water baby anyway. I really like these for swimming, skin diving, training, and many other things. I think that my instructor would slap me on the back of the head if I wore all black webbed gloves and tried to communicate hand and arm signals underwater. I bet if you spray painted the webbing on the underside a really bright color (think the ventral side of a manta ray) that I could get hand signals across without looking like I had a trash bag on my hands. They have pretty good cool factor as well. I'd really like to try these when getting out past the surge on a beach dive. I also wonder if I could break my depth record freediving with these, they are really fast!

Thank you for making an interesting and useful product Roy! I'd like to talk to you offline about carrying some in the shop when you get a chance.

Wow!

You guys really made my day.

Slonda828, Thanks for the pics. After looking closely though I think you could have went 1-size smaller and improved you dexterity and seal around the cuff. If you want to try the next size down e-me and let me know.

Also,

You caught me cold with the hand signal thing. Your the first to bring it up and I completely overlooked it. I can solve that problem easily during the manufacturing process right before they go in the curing ovens. What do you think bright white? Also, would it be enough to just do the palm side of the first joint on each finger? Help me work this out and I'll send you a prototype to try out.

Wow!

You guys really made my day.

Slonda828, Thanks for the pics. After looking closely though I think you could have went 1-size smaller and improved you dexterity and seal around the cuff. If you want to try the next size down e-me and let me know.

Also,

You caught me cold with the hand signal thing. Your the first to bring it up and I completely overlooked it. I can solve that problem easily during the manufacturing process right before they go in the curing ovens. What do you think bright white? Also, would it be enough to just do the palm side of the first joint on each finger? Help me work this out and I'll send you a prototype to try out.

I think there should be some sort of paint or coating to outline the webs. I cannot explain this adequately, but when I show you my palm, I need either the palm or the webbing to be bright. That way it doesn't look like one color when I do hand and arm signals. Personally, I think yellow shows up best underwater, as red and orange are absorbed earlier at depth (I know you know this). Maybe a black palm with yellow webbing or a yellow palm with black webbing? If you want I'll try either one of them out on my next dives and see if other divers can see what I am gesticulating.

By the way, you gave me these for free so I was wondering how much they would cost Joe Diver. I looked on your site, and 25 bucks for a pair of hand made latex gloves is very reasonable. Also, to clarify my previous statement I don't think that all your gloves should be colored, maybe just make a hi-viz model or however you choose to market it. I like the black ones because they make me feel like the gillman, but for diver training I would love a hi-viz set as well.

Furthermore, to comment on the durability, I put these gloves through hell in the pool. Our pool has the non-skid type surface, and I treated these gloves like...well like they were free. I checked my pair out and there is not so much as a mark on these things.

That's one I hadn't thought about. Becky and me use a lot of ASL when we are diving.

It would be possible to put white latex on each finger just before the curing oven. That way it would be a permanent bond. Do you think that would improve visibility? Darkfin-Hi-Viz...I like it!

They are tuff. I dug a hole in the bottom of our creek as deep as I could removing rock. sand and mud. Did'nt phase them.

I'm doing a Fl promo tour starting on the 27th of this month for a couple of weeks. I'll try and stop in your shop in Savannah and say hello.

It would be possible to put white latex on each finger just before the curing oven. That way it would be a permanent bond. Do you think that would improve visibility? Darkfin-Hi-Viz...I like it!

They are tuff. I dug a hole in the bottom of our creek as deep as I could removing rock. sand and mud. Did'nt phase them.

I'm doing a Fl promo tour starting on the 27th of this month for a couple of weeks. I'll try and stop in your shop in Savannah and say hello.

Our new location does not open for another 90 days or so. We are moving to a new place and it used to be a regular retail shop, so we are having to do quite a few things to make it a dive shop. Still, let me know when you are going to be around after that, I'd dig having you stop by when we open.

Ok so very cool..My arms are killing me from racing from one end of the pool to the other. For a while I just used my arms no kicks at alll. What a work out, I did try to use my camera with them on and well...it will take some getting used to..Very tough product...BTW....

Roy, I agree on the high vis model. Maybe something highly reflective so they can be aid during search and rescue and low light. I would think just the underside of the web and the fingers would be outlined.

Besides what everyone stated already it could use some holes to help vent trapped air or water. I took some scissors and cut small holes between the fingers to help vent trapped water & air which helped alot. The cuff could use some improvement maybe folded in 1/4" and glued or stitched. For the logo it could also be improved to be able to last the life of the gloves. So far I'm happy with the gloves and performs well. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom